• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Revisiting the CMC Trade

WarHeel

5 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

C. McCaffrey - 1880 Total Yards, 13 Total TDs, 4.7 yd/att, 8.7 yd/catch, $11.8 Million salary

Travis Etienne - 1441 Total Yards, 5 Total TDs, 5.1 yd/att, 9.0 yd/catch, $1.8 Million Salary

CMC had the better season yes, but Etienne had a good year for 1/6th the cost. Was CMC's season 6x better than Etienne's? I don't think it was.

What is the more cost effective asset here?

Of course CMC is elite. Everyone knows this. But you don't need an elite RB in today's NFL to get 85% of the same output for a fraction of the cost.

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

That's my point though?

Why pay a RB a second contract when young guys on rookie deals produce for way cheaper.

You could frame a similar argument for QB lol. “Hey look this Joe Burrow guy is only making a $1 million salary. Compare him to a guy like Josh Allen making $27 million in 2023. Why pay a QB a second contract when you got young guys on rookie deals producing for way cheaper?”

Also Etienne was still drafted in the 1st round. Are you advocating us taking a RB with a late 1st round pick if we’re in that position?

I agree with your overall argument, but Etienne is a pretty bad example to use for multiple reasons.

• Beer 1

We did him a solid by sending him to SF and gave him a shot to get the accolades and rings he deserves before the injuries and wear and tear got to him. Most likely he wouldn't have had the time left in his career here to wait through another rebuild.

They basically didn't make him be Barry Sanders stuck on the Detroit team for disastrous season after disastrous season.

And we got something for trading him, not enough to replace his potential, but we at least got something. I'm going to cheer him on through the playoffs and whenever he's playing any team but the Panthers.

The kid can be one of the league greats and he deserves the chance to get in the spotlight for a while.

• Beer 3

8 hours ago, frankw said:

Douchehole huh? So which RB do you like in the upcoming draft? Surely there's a good one we can pickup in the 4th round. You know that's what the majority of successful teams do right? They keep drafting them and don't pay them boatloads of money. Sorry this upsets you enough to go around calling someone a douche. Enjoy your evening bub.

Douchehole was a little much. But you can’t go around waving the finger calling folks players only fans. I am a fan of players like CMC, Diggs, Kelce, etc but they’ll never come before my franchise. This thread is simply to debunk some of the arguments used to trade him away which I agree with in theory fiscally but I still don’t think we got the haul he was actually worth and Burns should be out the door as well but managed to stick around.

In all the time he was here, they couldn't figure out how to use him properly.

Wasted talent due to the incompetence of the OC and coaching staff. Glad he is in a situation with an OC and HC that knows how to maximize his talents.

Edited by Jmac
  • Pie 2

24 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Douchehole was a little much. But you can’t go around waving the finger calling folks players only fans. I am a fan of players like CMC, Diggs, Kelce, etc but they’ll never come before my franchise. This thread is simply to debunk some of the arguments used to trade him away which I agree with in theory fiscally but I still don’t think we got the haul he was actually worth and Burns should be out the door as well but managed to stick around.

It's over and done with. Now we get to see what we can build with our first offensive head coach. We saw the historic numbers our running game put up under a defensive head coach we plucked out of a Missouri college gig and Ben McAdoo. Let's see what Fitterer and Reich can cook up.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

12 hours ago, WarHeel said:

You’re crazy. My wife drafted him in fantasy and he balled out literally every game all season. He had two off years. Prior to that, 3 full seasons of healthy ass kicking.

That trade was the best thing that happened to my fantasy team.  My worst fantasy day was when the Panthers let Mixon score 5 times. My opponent had him.

• Beer 1