• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers land Evero as DC

UNCrules2187

8 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I know I am going to get poo for this, but after watching 3 QB cast-offs fail , The Panthers hire a cast off coach and Huddlers celebrate like we instantly won the superbowl, if someone is fired its for a reason, a reason that isn't going to go away just because its your team, borders on homerism

lets see if he can actually win here before we crown him the greatest coach of all time, I personally think this is the worst choice Tepper could have made beyond keeping Rhule, let's hire a coach who couldn't get his previous team to the superbowl, and tried and failed with multiple project QBs just like Rhule, but he is somehow going to be Vince Lombardi or John Madden in Carolina smh

Edited by Day1PanthersFan
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

I know I am going to get poo for this, but after watching 3 QB cast-offs fail , The Panthers hire a cast off coach and Huddlers celebrate like we instantly won the superbowl, if someone is fired its for a reason, a reason that isn't going to go away just because its your team, borders on homerism

lets see if he can actually win here before we crown him the greatest coach of all time, I personally think this is the worst choice Tepper could have made beyond keeping Rhule, let's hire a coach who couldn't get his previous team to the superbowl, and tried and failed with multiple project QBs just like Rhule, but he is somehow going to be Vince Lombardi or John Madden in Carolina smh

I don’t think anyone is anointing him the greatest coach of all time but there is reason to have a little hope here. He had a winning record despite the QB turnover and crazy owner/management. Yes, he was fired. I bet he takes some ownership of that as well. With that said, just about every coach has been fired at some point. Carroll was fired. Belichick was fired. I’m not saying Reich will do anything remotely equivalent but being fired doesn’t make you a terrible coach. For once, the organization is making sound decisions and it looks like a good staff is being built.

• Pie 3

24 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

I think most of us doesn’t look at Reich as a cast off coach, but a good coach that was let go by a crazy owner despite success.

• Pie 5

24 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

You'll get poo because this is a dumb, uninformed take.

Fired for a reason? Yeah, reason being that Colts owner (and drunken idiot) Jim Irsay wanted to hand the job to his buddy Jeff Saturday, a guy who's never coached anything above high school football.

If you wanna say "well, he was fired for good reason" that's who you're siding with 😖

• Beer 3

8 minutes ago, Tarheel119 said:

I don’t think anyone is anointing him the greatest coach of all time but there is reason to have a little hope here. He had a winning record despite the QB turnover and crazy owner/management. Yes, he was fired. I bet he takes some ownership of that as well. With that said, just about every coach has been fired at some point. Carroll was fired. Belichick was fired. I’m not saying Reich will do anything remotely equivalent but being fired doesn’t make you a terrible coach. For once, the organization is making sound decisions and it looks like a good staff is being built.

You make some good points, and he did have a winning record, we would have killed to have the Colts record under reich, and people get fired/cut all the time in the NFL for various reasons not always for lack of skill  

I guess I was hoping for Payton, someone who has won the superbowl has a headcoach, and made the playoffs with Teddy Bridgewater, and orchestrated an offensive powerhouse with Brees, but I know the saints would have wanted all our arms and legs for him to make sure we couldn't ever threaten them , so that wasn't really realistic either 

• Poo 1

6 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

I guess I was hoping for Payton, someone who has won the superbowl has a headcoach, and made the playoffs with Teddy Bridgewater, and orchestrated an offensive powerhouse with Brees, but I know the saints would have wanted all our arms and legs for him to make sure we couldn't ever threaten them , so that wasn't really realistic either 

As was discussed many times, no Super Bowl winning coach has ever won again with a new team.

Winning a Super Bowl is extremely hard and requires a combination of multiple factors. It's very difficult to make that lightning strike twice.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Nobody is anointing Reich the GOAT. He is a refreshing change of pace from what seems like the past 20 years.  In many ways especially compared to Rhules tenure. 

We get someone who:

- Had a winning record despite working with limited QBs every year at his prior job 

- Is fluent and knowledgeable on the right side of the ball

- Has proven in a very short amount of time he is hiring adults and football people on his staff. Hires that are making splashes around the NFL in positive ways 

- Although it hasn’t happened yet, all indications are with this hire, we will be taking a QB in the first round of the draft. A move that is well overdue 

There’s a lot to be optimistic about. Our roster is not complete but it is ready to compete if we get a solid QB. Pair him with an offensive vet like Reich, we could have the South on lock for quite some time. 

• Pie 9

Indescribably happy about this hire. Incredible coaching associations to have learned from and it sounds like he has melded the best of all of them. 
(I would insert a meme or gif here of someone fapping or dancing or fapping while dancing but I don’t have those skills so just use your imagination.)

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Some more background on Evero can be found in this Denver Post article from last year: Ejiro Evero introduced as Broncos defensive coordinator

Love this quote from it…

“You’ve got to affect the quarterback,” Evero said. “If you can’t get there with four, you’ve got to bring five, and if you can’t get there with five you’ve got to bring six. That’s my philosophy (on pressure).”

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

Well...OK then.

I don't come on here much at all during the weekend, and this weekend was no different.  Was doing a lot of woodworking around my house, and staying away from Twitter....I never have the TV on in my house unless football is on.

Had no idea that we made a hire, or were looking to until I sat down at work this morning...well I'll be...we are acting like a real NFL team...incredible.

That said, do we know that he's going to bring the 34 base to this team?  I'm kinda hoping so as we do have some of the pieces for it...but we will need to bring in some FA's for that base.

I'm excited....been a while.

• Pie 2

15 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Tepper isn’t the one who makes the decision on defensive schemes. Also congrats on being negative. 

NEGATIVE? NEGATIVE?

Give me your odd man alignment with players currently on the roster. It's poo. We don't have the guys to run a 3-4 front right now, period. 2023 is going to be quite bad on defense because no matter the X's and O's, when you have Brown and Gross-Matos getting washed down the line because they aren't anchors, what's going to happen?

I get being a fan of this. I prefer a 3-4 to a 4-3. However this isn't something that works out overnight. Rivera tried this and failed in Year 1. Rivera let Tepper know of the transition and that it would be a multi-year project. Rivera was summarily fired, then we hired Rhule and Snow and went back to a 4-3 with all of our 3-4 draft picks. Now three years later we are going back to a 3-4.

If Evero can do better than Rivera in one season with the same issue, I'll be shocked. Rivera is one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL. So if we have similar results to that transition, does Tepper get antsy again or does he actually let that staff go through multiple cycles?

You've also ruled out the possibility of trading draft picks for a QB because now we have a personnel problem on defense that needs to be rectified. If anything we could trade down in the 1st and get multiple day 2 and day 3 picks while still picking up very talented players. I'm just not sure you can address the defensive issues and offensive short-comings now in this draft.

Again, I'll be happy to be wrong and I get why everyone is excited but this is probably going to be a struggle in Year 1. In the NFL it's not only the X's and O's like it can be in college (See App State at Texas A&M, Marshall @ Notre Dame, Georgia Southern @ Nebraska, UNC @ App State, NC State @ ECU). You need dogs and right now, we have some really good guys but the Front 7, and specifically the 0 tech, is SOOOOO important. 

Look at the Bucs. Where were they without Vita Vea? Struggling, hard. We don't have a Vita Vea or anything close to that. We have a bunch of three techs and a few guys underweight for odd man 0 tech. 

Draft Jerrod Clark from Coastal Carolina (6'4 350 lbs 0 tech), pick up two other guys in FA and run a platoon. I'd prefer to have two true 0 techs and then maybe roll with Brown or Gross-Matos at the 0 for pass rush downs.

• Poo 1