• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers land Evero as DC

UNCrules2187

7 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Well...OK then.

I don't come on here much at all during the weekend, and this weekend was no different.  Was doing a lot of woodworking around my house, and staying away from Twitter....I never have the TV on in my house unless football is on.

Had no idea that we made a hire, or were looking to until I sat down at work this morning...well I'll be...we are acting like a real NFL team...incredible.

That said, do we know that he's going to bring the 34 base to this team?  I'm kinda hoping so as we do have some of the pieces for it...but we will need to bring in some FA's for that base.

I'm excited....been a while.

He's stated, in several interviews I've read online, that you have to fit your scheme to your players and not the other way around, so I'm guessing he'll go with whatever works best for our young core. I'm particularly excited to see what he does with Chinn. That guy deserves to be put in a position to shine again.  

9 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I get being a fan of this. I prefer a 3-4 to a 4-3. However this isn't something that works out overnight. Rivera tried this and failed in Year 1. Rivera let Tepper know of the transition and that it would be a multi-year project. Rivera was summarily fired, then we hired Rhule and Snow and went back to a 4-3 with all of our 3-4 draft picks. Now three years later we are going back to a 3-4.

This is incorrect. Snow played mostly 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 fronts which are both more closely aligned with the 3-4 than the 4-3. Once Wilks and Holcomb took over, they reverted to a traditional 4-3 and lo and behold, the defense fell off after that.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 7

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

As was discussed many times, no Super Bowl winning coach has ever won again with a new team.

Winning a Super Bowl is extremely hard and requires a combination of multiple factors. It's very difficult to make that lightning strike twice.

No Drew Brees in Denver and Payton isn't winning sh^t with the QB under center they have now.

1 hour ago, mccjeff said:

Love this quote from it…

“You’ve got to affect the quarterback,” Evero said. “If you can’t get there with four, you’ve got to bring five, and if you can’t get there with five you’ve got to bring six. That’s my philosophy (on pressure).”

11 man blitzes incoming?

• Beer 2
  • The D 1

13 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

"The scheme has to fit the players" There were way too many guys not being used to their strengths the last 2 years. 

The players who’ll likely benefit most from Evero’s presence are the ones already leading the unit.

Brian Burns will go from a defensive end to a standup outside linebacker—in a role similar to what Haason Reddick has thrived under in Philadelphia. Frankie Luvu will join him on the opposite end, giving him more chances to utilize his explosiveness into and off the edge.

That duo would be backed up by Marquis Haynes Sr. and Amaré Barno, two more situational pass rushers with profiles to fit the bill. Plus, the inside—as it was even in a 4-3 base—must still be addressed regardless. (Perhaps we finally see safety Jeremy Chinn move next to Shaq Thompson.)

As far as the trench, the nose tackle spot has a few naturals in the 334-pound Marquan McCall, the 331-pound Bravvion Roy or even the emerging Derrick Brown. Otherwise, the slightly svelter Brown could play an as end in a potential partnership with free agent Matt Ioannidis—who already has experience in a 3-4 defense.

Then, from there, expect to see pressure, pressure and a little more pressure. Evero’s creativity in his scheming allowed him to dial up blitzes on 32.9 percent of opposing dropbacks, which accounted for the fourth-highest mark in the league.

• Pie 2

Just now, Thompcat said:

How about the remaining defensive staff, does Evero bring anyone from Denver?

One of the big positives that led Evero to taking this job was apparently the ability to build his own staff on the defensive side of the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see some folks from Denver join him. Also given Capers was a senior defensive assistant on Denver's staff last season and his ties to the franchise, wouldn't be surprised to see him come back here in that same role.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's been stated by Reich that the OC and DC will have the freedom to hire their own staff. He will most likely take a few if Payton will allow it.

Glad to see that he will build his own staff. Payton will be an ass I'm sure about releasing anyone. Looking forward to see who all he gets 

• Beer 1