• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we won't get the #1 pick

DaveThePanther2008

I was watching a mock draft on you tube. NFL Stock Exchange Post Senior Bowl mock draft.

They made a great point that the Bears covet Anderson or Carter.  If they trade down to #9 surely one of the teams ahead of them would take both of these players.  So, with Houston and Indy after a QB the Bears will most likely trade down to 2 or 4 and that's it.

They make great points for each pick.  They have Houston trading up to #1 and get Young to ensure they get the QB they want.  Levis will go to Indy and Stroud falls to the Raiders leaving us with Richardson.

I didn't totally agree with the mock but they give good reasons why they chose the players that they did.  I would also be happy to not lose any draft capital and still get Richardson.   

Do you think differently? Does Chicago trade down to #9 and get a king's ransom from us? 

Trading with Arizona for 3 might be an option but #1 is out of reach for us.  However, they would have the chance to get Anderson or Carter depending on Chicago's pick. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

This is why I think Arizona is a much better potential trade partner than Chicago. Chicago likely trades down with either Houston or Indy (division rivals so can see Houston trading up to #1 to ensure they get the guy they want). Chicago settles in at 2 or 4. Panthers can see who goes top 2 and if the guy they really want (I feel like that's Stroud) is there at 3, then they make their move. 

Teams typically get ~200 points above value when trading down, so #9, #93 and the 24 1st (slotting it as a mid-first round pick) would be a fair deal IMO. Maybe throw in a pick swap as well (i.e. Panthers 2024 2nd for Cardinals 2024 3rd).

• Beer 3

3 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

This is why I think Arizona is a much better potential trade partner than Chicago. Chicago likely trades down with either Houston or Indy (division rivals so can see Houston trading up to #1 to ensure they get the guy they want). Chicago settles in at 2 or 4. Panthers can see who goes top 2 and if the guy they really want (I feel like that's Stroud) is there at 3, then they make their move. 

Teams typically get ~200 points above value when trading down, so #9, #93 and the 24 1st (slotting it as a mid-first round pick) would be a fair deal IMO. Maybe throw in a pick swap as well (i.e. Panthers 2024 2nd for Cardinals 2024 3rd).

While I agree Arizona is probably a better target and Watts on his decline, Arizona would miss out on one of the elite defensive playrs available. 

2 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

or Richardson

The mock draft I watched that inspired my post had Richardson going to us at #9.  If things were to fall this way than IMO it is the most ideal way the draft could unfold.  We would get a talented QB that needs grooming and a QB whisperer head coach.  And we would not have to give up any picks to get him. 

• Pie 2

I said this the other day. There are plenty of suitors with higher picks for them to trade down with. 

There are also more asses with hot seats in other teams than there are here. They will be willing to give up more than us. 

People need to go ahead and pre-order their Carr jerseys

• Beer 1

We can't trade for the Number 1 pick now because we need draft picks for defense. Our list of holes on that side of the ball just got bigger. Now you probably should take BPA to build out the core of the team as best you can, or trade down if you're sure you can get who you want, and develop those guys while probably not being great. I just, I don't understand the scheme transition while you're looking for a new QB and only have five draft picks. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 3