• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we won't get the #1 pick

DaveThePanther2008

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

QB whisper or not

if you give a 5* chef a pile of sh!T and bread.  He’s going to give you a sh!t sandwhich.

Andy Reid is also a "QB Whisperer" and let's see he worked with McNabb 2nd overall pick and Mahomes who he traded up to pick 10 to draft.  McVay (another whisperer) worked with top overall pick Goff and top overall pick Stafford.  It's like these offensive guys also need talented QBs (as in first round talent) to run their offense at its full potential... 

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, ncfan said:

This

multiple people who cover the Panthers already have pointed this out.  We don’t have any more holes on D now than we did before.  Just the holes may shifted a tad.

we needed a SDE before in the 4-3 where YGM is, well now it’s at 3-4 DE.

Exactly.  We are just playing players like Chinn and Burns to their strengths with a better DC and the same amount of holes as before.  

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I predict there are no trades at the top. Chicago will just draft whomever they like best, Houston will take Young, Arizona will take the one Chicago doesn't take, the Colts will take Stroud or Levis, and the Raiders will grab the other. Lions, Seahawks, and Falcons go BPA. That leaves us with BPA or Richardson.

I predict few trade (if any) at the top, but I still think Bryce falls because of his weight.

7 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

If Atlanta ends up trading for Lamar and has to send two 1st rounders to Baltimore then Baltimore is a team that’s sitting there with 4 1st rounders and in need of a QB

yeah& another thing to take into consideration about this aforementioned  trade is the fact that the Falcons actually have enough cap space avaliable to sign Lamar Jackson

51 minutes ago, ncfan said:

It’s a 100000x less of a crap shoot than 2nd-7th rd QBs or cast offs you pick up in FA.

Why did you conveniently not bold the sentence right after that which said draft whichever is left we like best. You’re still getting a QB in the top 10, all 4 will not be gone by 9

5 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

idk why no one gas ATL taking a QB themselves.  they need one. 

I think they give Ridder a full year.  He was suppose to be a bit of a project and looked ok towards the end of the year when he got playing time.  If I were them I would roll with Ridder and if he doesn't grow/develop look into next year's class which might be pretty deep.

There's a scenario I haven't seen discussed, but to me would make a lot of sense. We had a roughly .500 roster with Darnold/Wilks. I'm not convinced we are "one player away" at this point. But I think with Reich/Darnold we could be competitive for the division in 2023 and give Corral a chance to develop another year under Reich.

What if we traded down with someone like Tampa Bay at 19 (a team on the decline and desperate for a QB). We could probably get their 1st next year, which could easily be a high pick. Unlike years past where this would sound like a "tank" scenario, I actually think we can be competitive at worst, win the division at best, and still end up with a potential top 10 pick plus our own next year. How could this play out? 

1. We suck and end up with two high picks next year to package for Caleb Williams, or my personal homer preference, Drake May. We would be closer to a more complete roster around them with the #19 from TB this year.  

2. We find out that Corral (or Darnold 😬) actually can play and we don't need a QB, and now have 2 first rounders to use to continue to build around them. 

3. I suppose we could just be mediocre again, but that's just something in between the two and we still are in a better position to move up to get Williams or Maye, with a better roster around them and fully stocked shelves in 2025 to continue building. 

It's not sexy, but it's practical and doesn't have a lot of downsides either way. 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, CL1022 said:

There's a scenario I haven't seen discussed, but to me would make a lot of sense. We had a roughly .500 roster with Darnold/Wilks. I'm not convinced we are "one player away" at this point. But I think with Reich/Darnold we could be competitive for the division in 2023 and give Corral a chance to develop another year under Reich.

What if we traded down with someone like Tampa Bay at 19 (a team on the decline and desperate for a QB). We could probably get their 1st next year, which could easily be a high pick. Unlike years past where this would sound like a "tank" scenario, I actually think we can be competitive at worst, win the division at best, and still end up with a potential top 10 pick plus our own next year. How could this play out? 

1. We suck and end up with two high picks next year to package for Caleb Williams, or my personal homer preference, Drake May. We would be closer to a more complete roster around them with the #19 from TB this year.  

2. We find out that Corral (or Darnold 😬) actually can play and we don't need a QB, and now have 2 first rounders to use to continue to build around them. 

3. I suppose we could just be mediocre again, but that's just something in between the two and we still are in a better position to move up to get Williams or Maye, with a better roster around them and fully stocked shelves in 2025 to continue building. 

It's not sexy, but it's practical and doesn't have a lot of downsides either way. 

You can't say Corral's name around these guys.  It's taboo.  God forbid we actually give a guy we drafted a real look at the position.  We all know how Rhule screwed us by not trying to develop him.

There are several scenarios where we just end up on the short end of the stick and have to go with plan B.  Oh it will cause a meltdown in here and the "win at all cost" will be the blamed for missing out on a QB. 

I hope we get on of the 4 but I am not counting on it and will be ready to see what happens next. 

13 minutes ago, CL1022 said:

As Daniel Jeremiah said the other day

“If you like one of these QBs, you have to take them.  There’s no assurances you’ll have a top 2 pick next year. And if you get 3.  1 and 2 aren’t going to trade off those guys.”

“You can’t afford to play the waiting game”

you can have all the picks.  AND #3

Teams at the top aren’t moving off that level of QB prospect.

• Pie 3