• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Matt Corral

jfra78

11 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Id put him ahead of McKee and Hooker

he’s much young than Hooker and he does have better overall tools than McKee.

There's an argument to be made with McKee but Hooker is easily ahead of Willis, Ridder & Corral for me.  People will ding his age and system played in but his size (6'4 220), athleticism, deep ball placement, surprisingly sound mechanics, and footwork are far better than that crew.  

If Hooker was 22/23 & TEN used a bit more pro-level concepts, he'd be way more hyped.    

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

These would be my tiers, no particular order within each

T1: Young, Stroud

T2: AR, Levis, Pickett

T3: Hooker, McKee

T4: Willis, Ridder, Corral, Hall, Haener, Howell, Tune

T5: Purdy & the rest

Some follow up notes:

-Purdy (as a prospect) is still down there for me.  That would be part of O'Connell, Thompson, etc.

-Not a huge McKee fan but I get it--I get why he could be as high as a R2 pick.  What is notable is the overall package: Has the 6'6 230 size, a strong enough arm (above avg/avg), sneaky agility (he's a pocket passer but by no means immobile, he ran a 4.68 40. He's also young.  But turn on the games and, well, yeah is it just a Davis Mills-plus?    

-As a prospect, Corral is in that loose range of R2-4.  A fit dependent developmental pick.  I actually like him to just keep around, keep molding, keep learning.  If he ever has to come in as relief eventually, maybe he flashes and we gain some value.  But I'm also holding my breath that he may be battling Eason for a spot in a new offense.  Just looking back at his reports and vids/highlights, he just strikes me as that 'fun-on-the-field', quick wrist flicking, college gunslinger that gets dwarfed in the big leagues.  Had some nice deep balls but compare his work to what Hendon just did, and I'm sorry, taking Hooker all day.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

There's an argument to be made with McKee but Hooker is easily ahead of Willis, Ridder & Corral for me.  People will ding his age and system played in but his size (6'4 220), athleticism, deep ball placement, surprisingly sound mechanics, and footwork are far better than that crew.  

If Hooker was 22/23 & TEN used a bit more pro-level concepts, he'd be way more hyped.    

I honestly don’t think he is really that much more athletic if at all.  And a whole 2-4 pounds heavier?  I’ll give you the 2 inches in height.  

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Probably 4th-5th round.

This is a weak class but not nearly as weak as the 2022 class. 

Heavily disagree.

Matt Corral last season was being hyped up as competing with Bryce Young + CJ Stroud as QB1. He was the betting favourite for the Heisman partway through the season before injuries to him + his team (9 of 11 offensive starters missed practice at the beginning of November 😮

SEC West teams: Bama, LSU, Miss St, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Auburn

He'd be, at worst, a 2nd round pick depending on how the season played out (imo of course). Very highly likely a 1st round pick since he was being projected as a potential late 1st as a junior.

NOTE: Just wanted to clarify that this isn't a "START CORRAL IN 2023!" post. Corral was highly touted but injuries to almost the entire offense at Ole Miss created plenty of issues. At worst, he'd be in the convo with Levis/Richardson. At best, he's in the convo with Young/Stroud (which is where he was to start the season and during it until the aforementioned injuries piled up). We got a solid prospect, but whether or not that prospect actually works out we'll have to wait and see of course. Hopefully that doesn't mean that they don't do their due diligence on this year's QB class and find out if one of the upcoming rookies matches the new regime better than Corral would.

EDIT: Heavily disagree with Corral as a day 3 guy, but heavily agree that the 2022 QB class was doo doo

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 7
  • Flames 2

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t know if I would call this class weak as much as it has been. It’s an odd class because there are so many questions like Young’s size, Stroud being an OSU QB and Levis/Richardson not performing well enough. Last year was just kind of silly with all the 1st round talk because the question marks were way way too big. I do feel like we will have 3 or 4 1st rounders which is normally a decent class. Doesn’t mean there aren’t busts, there always are but Richardson is the only one I could see slipping. If there are 4 first rounders and 2-3 go top 5, it’s hard to call it a weak class.

I think largely weak because it seems pretty top heavy. After Young/Stroud there is a pretty big gap to AR/Levis and then another drop off to the rest of the group. Plus, look at the Senior Bowl group, they were atrocious. 

1 minute ago, Icege said:

Heavily disagree.

Matt Corral last season was being hyped up as competing with Bryce Young + CJ Stroud as QB1. He was the betting favourite for the Heisman partway through the season before injuries to him + his team (9 of 11 offensive starters missed practice at the beginning of November 😮

SEC West teams: Bama, LSU, Miss St, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Auburn

He'd be, at worst, a 2nd round pick depending on how the season played out (imo of course). Very highly likely a 1st round pick since he was being projected as a potential late 1st as a junior.

NOTE: Just wanted to clarify that this isn't a "START CORRAL IN 2023!" post. Corral was highly touted but injuries to almost the entire offense at Ole Miss created plenty of issues. At worst, he'd be in the convo with Levis/Richardson. At best, he's in the convo with Young/Stroud (which is where he was to start the season and during it until the aforementioned injuries piled up). We got a solid prospect, but whether or not that prospect actually works out we'll have to wait and see of course. Hopefully that doesn't mean that they don't do their due diligence on this year's QB class and find out if one of the upcoming rookies matches the new regime better than Corral would.

EDIT: Heavily disagree with Corral as a day 3 guy, but heavily agree that the 2022 QB class was doo doo

This is the very classic example of taking college football and trying to make it the NFL.

TBH, no one cares what an SEC West staff member thinks about Matt Corral. 

He was already evaluated by the entirety of the NFL and passed on by most of the league 2+ times in the draft. 

That doesn’t mean he will fail but it does mean is a very, very, VERY clearly viewed has having a lower value than Young/Stroud. TBD on Levis/AR but I would imagine they also get drafted(in 2023) above Corral's position in the 2022 draft. 

I get that we want to see our picks do well, I get that. But we can't turn off all logic and reason when we look at these players.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 2

47 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This is the very classic example of taking college football and trying to make it the NFL.

He was already evaluated by the entirety of the NFL and passed on by most of the league 2+ times in the draft. 

That doesn’t mean he will fail but it does mean is a very, very, VERY clearly viewed has having a lower value than Young/Stroud. TBD on Levis/AR but I would imagine they also get drafted(in 2023) above Corral's position in the 2022 draft. 

I get that we want to see our picks do well, I get that. But we can't turn off all logic and reason when we look at these players.

Last year we were told Willis might be a top 10 pick. Pickett ended up being the first Qb selected and that was in the 20s then the rest rounds later. Every year people have opinions, then the teams actually make the picks. What college staffers say can be taken with a grain of salt but you have to remember the tape and what they say are how the scouts formulate opinions to share with the NFL teams FO that are weighted pretty heavily in the draft selection process. So I would heed their warnings or their not so popular opinions because they have more time around these guys than the likes of Mel Kiper Jr and the other talking heads. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We are going to have to wait until the draft to determine how other teams view these current QBs. Many thought that Malik Willis was going first due to his ceiling, but he fell as well.

Sam Howell was evaluated as well, got passed over until the 5th but is on course to start for Washington. If folks stated that Corral was above Howell here, there'd have been heel to pay (I couldn't resist... the dad joke was just sitting there for the taking). 

1 hour ago, TJKJ23xx said:

People are shitting on Corral all because of one preseason game that Rhule had him out there with nobody that even made the team let alone practice squad. Before that there was so much hope he’d be the diamond in the rough. Give the guy a shot before saying anything dumb. Especially when you’ve never even played a down yourself. 

He was also going against a defense played by players who most likely weren't going to make the team as well to be fair.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, TJKJ23xx said:

Last year we were told Willis might be a top 10 pick. Pickett ended up being the first Qb selected and that was in the 20s then the rest rounds later. Every year people have opinions, then the teams actually make the picks. What college staffers say can be taken with a grain of salt but you have to remember the tape and what they say are how the scouts formulate opinions to share with the NFL teams FO that are weighted pretty heavily in the draft selection process. So I would heed their warnings or their not so popular opinions because they have more time around these guys than the likes of Mel Kiper Jr and the other talking heads. 

You are basically making my argument back to me.

Listen, huge Corral fan. Really wanted the guy to work out here. He's not gonna work out. Looked really bad in preseason action, like really bad - like scared. Against dudes that will be HS assistant coaches / personal trainers in a year from now.

I'd put him in the same category as Stetson Bennet this year. Looked great in college, but won't be an NFL QB. This years class is WAY stronger than last years.

As a 3rd rounder last year, he would be a 6th rounder this year IMO.

• Poo 3