• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question? Lamar Jackson Franchise Tag

Biggdaddi1022

What Is the Difference Between an Exclusive and Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag?

The most common type of franchise tag is the non-exclusive one, which means that NFL players can still negotiate with other teams following the application of the tag. Meanwhile, the exclusive franchise tag prevents players from negotiating with other teams.

If the negotiations on a non-exclusive tag lead to a contract offer, then the team applying the franchise tag would have a first right of refusal in terms of matching the offer. If the team applying the tag declines to match the offer sheet, the team proposing the offer would send two first-round NFL draft picks in return for signing the player.

12 minutes ago, Biggdaddi1022 said:

If the Raven franchise tag him and we offer a contract and he accepts and they don’t match…. we only owe them 2 firsts picks? I mean the contract would be crazy but 2 first isn’t bad for a MVP. 

1. He’d cost as many draft picks as it would to move to 1 in the draft.

2. Would cost so much $$ it would handicap the roster to where we wouldn’t even be able to extend Burns or resign Bozeman

For a good QB, but a QB that’s been as injury prone as CMC.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1

26 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Lamar in Atlanta scares me.

I feel like they will be his top suitor if he becomes available.

I'm OK with it. His contract is going to make it hard to assemble a solid roster over time. Franchise FA QB is great and all but one player taking up 50m in cap space a year is going to make them rely on a lot of rookie or lower tier FAs contracts to fill the gap.

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm OK with it. His contract is going to make it hard to assemble a solid roster over time. Franchise FA QB is great and all but one player taking up 50m in cap space a year is going to make them rely on a lot of rookie or lower tier FAs contracts to fill the gap.

QB contracts are only going to get bigger. Cap Space is not a thing.

Saints been signing players for years with no cap space.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

QB contracts are only going to get bigger. Cap Space is not a thing.

Saints been signing players for years with no cap space.

I think at some point we're going to see the QB contracts hit a wall, much like the rookie contract cap. 50m a year fully guaranteed contracts aren't going to be sustainable to be competitive long term. 

I mean, I just disagree. You're going to have to pay to play. You think Buffalo, Cincy, Los Angeles is NOT going to pay their guys? They ARE going to pay, just like KC did with Mahomes. The salary cap is going no where but up, every year. Big contracts to QBs, if you have one that's worth a damn, is going to be the norm. You sign them while you can, and as time goes on, their cap hit becomes less of an issue.  

If it's not Jackson, it's going to be somebody that we draft (if we're lucky). Let Hurts win today, and he's going to get paid too. That's just how it is. All  the talk of being cash strapped and hamstrung is way overblown. You get your guy and manage your roster. I don't care if it's in the draft or by acquisition.