• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterbacks win championships

6 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I love how some folks are so worried about "mortgaging the future" by giving up draft capital to trade up for a QB but don't seem to realize that without a QB no amount of draft capital means a damn thing. A team full of drafted Pro Bowlers without a QB IS a waste of draft capital because without one the team has no future.

It's entirely possible trading up for a QB could backfire on us, but that's the way it goes. We have to at least TRY to get our guy. What's the alternative? Trotting out other team's table scraps year after year?

Outside of getting insanely lucky and hitting on a Jalen Hurts outside of round 1 that's what we're going to be stuck with if we don't at least take our shot at finding a franchise QB.

I don't mind taking a shot. I minded when we had Ron and Captain DumbAss as HC, neither of whom had any idea about running an offense or how to use a QB. I'm a little less worried now that we have some offensive grown ups in the building.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't mind taking a shot. I minded when we had Ron and Captain DumbAss as HC, neither of whom had any idea about running an offense or how to use a QB. I'm a little less worried now that we have some offensive grown ups in the building.

We've got guys whose judgement I trust. I'm just along for the ride now. Whatever they decide, I've got faith they know what they're doing. 

I'd like for them to draft one of my three favorites, Young, Stroud, or AR, but if the draft Levis or pick up someone like Carr....I can deal with it. We could trade for Lamar (which is kind of unnecessary, imo) and I'd be ok with that. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, rayzor said:

We've got guys whose judgement I trust. I'm just along for the ride now. Whatever they decide, I've got faith they know what they're doing. 

I'd like for them to draft one of my three favorites, Young, Stroud, or AR, but if the draft Levis or pick up someone like Carr....I can deal with it. We could trade for Lamar (which is kind of unnecessary, imo) and I'd be ok with that. 

I have confidence we now have the ability to develop a QB. Cam was a very good QB for us, but his development didn't really progress much here. Watching Mahomes, it makes me wonder what Cam could have become under a guy like Reid. Having the ability to recognize, understand, and develop a QB is just as important as the talent level IMO. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I love how some folks are so worried about "mortgaging the future" by giving up draft capital to trade up for a QB but don't seem to realize that without a QB no amount of draft capital means a damn thing. A team full of drafted Pro Bowlers without a QB IS a waste of draft capital because without one the team has no future.

It's entirely possible trading up for a QB could backfire on us, but that's the way it goes. We have to at least TRY to get our guy. What's the alternative? Trotting out other team's table scraps year after year?

Outside of getting insanely lucky and hitting on a Jalen Hurts outside of round 1 that's what we're going to be stuck with if we don't at least take our shot at finding a franchise QB.

Meanwhile, the hated Sam Darnold was 4-2 as a starter this year because it’s a team sport. 

I’d love a Mahomes on the team, but there’s many ways to make a football omelet. 

Keep adding talent. Make the team better. And if a QB you love is there at 5-8, then you can trade up and not get bent over while doing so. 

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I have confidence we now have the ability to develop a QB. Cam was a very good QB for us, but his development didn't really progress much here. Watching Mahomes, it makes me wonder what Cam could have become under a guy like Reid. Having the ability to recognize, understand, and develop a QB is just as important as the talent level IMO. 

Coaching really MATTERS in the NFL. Nick Foles didn't beat Tom Brady in a Super Bowl because he was a better QB. He beat him because his coach, Doug Pederson, outcoached Bill Belichick on Super Bowl Sunday.

Last night Pat Mahomes threw 2 TD's in the red-zone to wide open targets who just walked in for the TD. . Plays were designed and called at the right time to make that happen. That's a sign great coaching.

I expect to see that type of creativity with Frank Reich next season. I believe he can take a 1st round QB drafted outside the top 5, or a high 2nd rounder, and develop him into a legit starter.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

the eagles scored more points than any super bowl loser ever has and you’ve still got people who are like “defense changed the game! Look at that one play! I want a STUD LINEBACKER!” 

The game isn’t structured to reward defensive teams or teams that chew clock and pound rocks or whatever other blasé cliche you’re holding onto so tightly 

there’s one path to sustained success

lots of passing, big name free agent acquisitions, blockbuster trades

those are the teams playing in the super bowl.

• Pie 6

35 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Meanwhile, the hated Sam Darnold was 4-2 as a starter this year because it’s a team sport. 

I’d love a Mahomes on the team, but there’s many ways to make a football omelet. 

Keep adding talent. Make the team better. And if a QB you love is there at 5-8, then you can trade up and not get bent over while doing so. 

Sam Darnold is never winning a Super Bowl as anything other than a backup. I can't believe anyone would compare him going 4-2 over a 6 game stretch to what we saw last night. That's the ultimate loser's mentality.

Many QBs have had win streaks and even winning seasons. It doesn't mean they'd ever win a Super Bowl even with the most talented roster. Every so often you get a Brad Johnson or a Trent Dilfer who wins on the back of an all-time elite defense, but those defenses are all but impossible to put together today and neither of those QBs could have ever won that game last night against either Mahomes or Hurts.

It's not 1995 anymore; the "punt isn't a bad play" era is over. Powerhouse teams today win with top-tier QBs leading explosive offenses who can score when they have to. A good defense certainly helps but everything else is built on the foundation of the franchise QB. You don't have one, you might as well forfeit every game because even if your half-ass retread/draft bust/castoff QB can manage to get into the playoffs with 8 or 9 wins you're not getting to a Super Bowl, ever.

And as long as that's the case, what's the point? If you're not either competing for a championship or building toward becoming a team that can then you're just going through the motions.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

Lol...football isnt life 

Ray Lewis and crew won a championship

So I beg to Dilfer.

Ray Lewis won 2 Super Bowls in a 17 year career; Patrick Mahomes has already won 2 in 5 seasons as a starter.

How many Super Bowls do you think Ray Lewis would have won if he'd had Patrick Mahomes as his QB?

12 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Sam Darnold is never winning a Super Bowl as anything other than a backup. I can't believe anyone would compare him going 4-2 over a 6 game stretch to what we saw last night. That's the ultimate loser's mentality.

Seems like many just don't want to remember Matt Moore/Clausen or Kyle Allen/Grier.  3rd time's a charm I guess? 

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Ray Lewis won 2 Super Bowls in a 17 year career; Patrick Mahomes has already won 2 in 5 seasons as a starter.

How many Super Bowls do you think Ray Lewis would have won if he'd had Patrick Mahomes as his QB?

He won 2...the OP would have that at zero...there are zero mahomes in this draft.Zero.

13 hours ago, heel31ok said:

Lol...football isnt life 

Ray Lewis and crew won a championship

So I beg to Dilfer.

Different era of football. They've tweaked the rules a bunch since to benefit offense and all indications are that they'll continue to do that. So you can try to buck the trend and try to build a team built to win in the '80s and '90s or you can see where the NFL is trying to take the sport and build a team built to score.

• Pie 5

5 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Nobody thought Mahomes was Mahomes at the time either. That's my point; you gotta take your shots until you get your guy.

Many thought he was ...hexwas the 10 pick...so at the very least we shouldn't throw away picks to move up in a fishing expedition