• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Epiphany

TJKJ23xx

I have been trying to dissuade myself from thinking the QB of the future has to be drafted this year. Yes, next year will have more sexy options in Drake Maye and Caleb Williams but there is one QB in this draft I hate to say has really been growing on me. I feel CJ Stroud could be great if drafted in the right situation and I think the Panthers finally have the staff to make that move. If we have to trade a future first and second so be it. Everything I have seen from him the last two years being a Michigan fan and how he guided his team to almost beating UGA really shows me how poised and un fazed by pressure he is. Really delving deep into every break down only shows issues with his game that can be course correct by coaching. You cannot teach his ability to stay calm under pressure or his athletic ability he uses when needed rather than rproperly progressing through his options. I have yet to see him be the sole reason his team has lost a game in any film I have watched. I just have a feeling that he could be what finally gets us over the top and I hope trading up to 1-3 nets us him no matter the cost. 

Edited by TJKJ23xx
  • Pie 4
  • Flames 1

If this coaching staff performs the way we think it will perform, we may not see another top 10 pick again for a long while. A lot easier to get up to 1 or 3 from 9 then it would be from 15-20. If the front office is thinking this way, then they should do whatever to get to 1, even if it means a 3 way trade. I agree CJ Stroud looks like the best in this class. I just don't want to go up to 3 or wherever and get an also ran. 

• Pie 1

For the people who want to wait til next season to draft a QB, do ya'll really want to go through another painful losing season to get a top 3 draft pick next year? We couldn't even lose out properly this year with Rhule and Wilks. We're a mediocre team and now have to use more draft capital to trade up to get our franchise QB. Either win it all or suck hard. 

18 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

For the people who want to wait til next season to draft a QB, do ya'll really want to go through another painful losing season to get a top 3 draft pick next year? We couldn't even lose out properly this year with Rhule and Wilks. We're a mediocre team and now have to use more draft capital to trade up to get our franchise QB. Either win it all or suck hard. 

It's amazing every year people continue to preach waiting on a QB in the next draft lol

Im 33 bro how much longer do we have to wait! Im going gray as we speak.

• Pie 6
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It's amazing every year people continue to preach waiting on a QB in the next draft lol

Im 33 bro how much longer do we have to wait! Im going gray as we speak.

The sexy next year QB who is likely to struggle and bust in the NFL is for college fans. 1st round QBs worth drafting are about 3 a decade, and that is for 32 NFL teams.

Find a championship proven coach. Invest in a QB of his choice (regardless of round) for at least 2 seasons (want a QB who projects at least 10 years and is no younger than 25). 85% of these QBs will get a team to the playoffs. Stack that QB with 7 targets he likes to throw to in clutch situations. Drill the offense on scripted opening drives and 4/2/1 minute drives.

That is all that is needed for offensive point scoring.

Refining the QB position with championship qualities will take you from a consistent playoff team to a contender. Thankfully championship qualities are not highly valued among scouts, the combine, GMs, and the draft. You can find these championship QBs from the 1st to the 7th round. There are even championship quality QBs who go undrafted and play in other leagues.

Josh McCown even said that he learned more and developed more playing with the Hartford Colonials than he ever did sitting on an NFL roster. The NFL tried to pull him away from the Colonials and he chose to stay with Dave Ragone (now Falcons OC) and follow his coaching mentor/advisor John DeFilippo (Reich's QB coach with SB winning Eagles/Now HC of New Orleans Breakers) advice.

Edited by CPantherKing

If we’re in position to get Caleb or Drake next year, then Reich might not be that guy we thought. Wilks got us to 6 wins. 

Identify your QB, and go get him this year. Tepper, like most of us, isnt trying to sit through another “sacrificial” year. Especially since this team can’t even tank right, and most of those that are on the “wait till next year” wagon, don’t want to “tank” anyways. Dudes want to wait until next year, all to just say the same thing they’re saying this year, or suggest trading back into the 3rd or 4th for someone like CCU’s McCall lol

Edited by AggieLean
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

If we’re in position to get Caleb or Drake next year, then Reich might not be that guy we thought. Wilks got us to 6 wins. 

Identify your QB, and go get him this year. Tepper, like most of us, isnt trying to sit through another “sacrificial” year. Especially since this team can’t even tank right, and most of those that are on the “wait till next year” wagon, don’t want to “tank” anyways. Dudes want to wait until next year, all to just say the same thing they’re saying this year, or suggest trading back into the 3rd or 4th for someone like CCU’s McCall lol

Thank you for saying that.

Not to mention, with the evolving NIL reality, it's not even a sure thing Drake declares next year.  Same for Ewers.  So this supposed "amazing" 2024 board could easily become:

Round 1: Caleb Williams...then a HUGE drop to guys that were considered mid-rounders that didn't declare this year:

Ward, Penix, Nix, Daniels, Pratt & McCall. Won't lie, I actually like some of these dudes (especially Daniels), but that is a gamble and we just don't know.  

I imagine they'll want to draft a guy and it's likely to happen this year.  

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Thank you for saying that.

Not to mention, with the evolving NIL reality, it's not even a sure thing Drake declares next year.  Same for Ewers.  So this supposed "amazing" 2024 board could easily become:

Round 1: Caleb Williams...then a HUGE drop to guys that were considered mid-rounders that didn't declare this year:

Ward, Penix, Nix, Daniels, Pratt & McCall. Won't lie, I actually like some of these dudes (especially Daniels), but that is a gamble and we just don't know.  

I imagine they'll want to draft a guy and it's likely to happen this year.  

It’s a gamble, I don’t think we can wait on any longer. Next year, there will probably be more teams in the pool needing a QB as well. I think ATL will give Ridder another shot, but he’s meh. I could see them going for it next year(if not this year). No telling what happens with the Saints and this whole Carr ordeal. They could be in the pool. Not to mention Seattle, Den will be more willing to pull the trigger on a QB as Wilson’s cap hit is a tad bit more manageable. They could build a package to get in the QB game. The NFC is full of teams that need QBs.

Yea, it’s probably time to start swinging now, as it looks you have 4 bonafide 1st rd QBs. You wait till next year, and you’re taking a chance on QBs that are likely to be mid round guys

Edited by AggieLean

The epiphany should be that you need an amazing tight end to compete in the league.

2015 - Panthers had Olsen and Broncos had Julias (or whatever his name was)

2016 - Don't remember who played

2017- Don't remember who played

All I know is that the 49ers have Kittle, the Panthers had Olsen (and no receivers), the Chiefs have Kelce, the Eagles have Goedert, the Cowboys have Schultz, the Bucs/Patriots had Gronk.

If we take a QB, we have to draft a tight end.

You want to know whose next in line to take a leap? The Falcons. Why? Because they have solid receivers, a guy who will probably be the best test end in football, and all they are missing is a QB.

Put money on it.