• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has anyone looked at our Cap situation for 2023?

SCO96

30 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

We are actually like 9 million above the cap from roll over money from this year. But that balances out when you account for draft picks.

You can restructure Moore and Moton and save about 10 million. 

You can cut Shaq and save about 13 million. 

You can cut Zane, Elflein, and Wilson and save about 9 million.

That gives you 31 million. 

You can also trade Burns and get draft picks and save another 16 million but all the fans that just started following the team in 2018 would get mad.

I don't like your math, but there it is and the numbers don't lie. 

We need to stop restructuring and giving out huge signing bonuses that just grind us up for years to come. Dead money has been killing us for a decade or so, right?

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

I don't like your math, but there it is and the numbers don't lie. 

We need to stop restructuring and giving out huge signing bonuses that just grind us up for years to come. Dead money has been killing us for a decade or so, right?

What is killing us is signing players to huge contract then cutting/trading them.  CMC and Robbie Anderson accounts for 99.3% of our dead cap on the books for next year currently.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

This should free up about $23M.  We are about -$13M in effective cap space, so net about $10M which isn't much to shop with.

We definitely wouldn't be be able to obtain the cream of the crop in the FA class this year with that cap room would we?

This is why we need to hang on to those picks we have in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds this year.

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

We definitely wouldn't be be able to obtain the cream of the crop in the FA class this year with that cap room would we?

This is why we need to hang on to those picks we have in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds this year.

No, but those are just the basic moves that a cap novice like me can easily see on the surface.  I'm sure there's more tricks to get further under the cap.  As long as we don't start adding voided years to contracts like the Saints to "fudge" the books, then I'm okay.  We did that with Ioandidis last year, basically he was a very expensive one year rental.  I hope that doesn't become a trend because like I said earlier, we are great shape cap-wise beyond 2023 as of NOW if they don't screw it up.

The Panthers are in a decent spot cap wise. Per Spotrac, here's where each NFCS team ranks for the next 3 years (assumes rollover):

image.png.7054e0a23634a657307e6c68f994a850.png

Big picture, the team can borrow from future years to pay current FA deals if needed.

The Saints, Rams, Packers, and Browns are in bad spots as far as borrowing as they each have less than $100M of new money to spend over the next 3 seasons. Granted they can cut people to create some cap space, but as it currently stands they have a lot less flexibility. For context the Bears have the most with an estimated $500M of new money to spend over the next 3 seasons. The Panthers have around $280M to spend.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

Completely and Parr:

Are you guys saying that you would cut Shaq if you were in the front office?

I'm not saying I disagree with you at all, but he did lead the team in tackles. He and Luvu both had over 100+ tackles. Our defense is would be significantly worse without him on the field in 2022. No other LB's on the roster reached 50 tackles. If we went that route wouldn't that mean we'd likely have to draft a replacement this off-season?

I'd be inclined to say yes; which is why I don't like the idea of trading away multiple high draft choices in multiple seasons to move up to the top 5 in order to draft a QB. We already need  playmakers at LB, S, DT, DE, CB, TE, and WR. Losing Shaq creates another void to feel. And, let's be honest...the answer isn't already on the roster.

For his decline in play and the cap savings shaq would be a 100% cut if I was a gm.  I never understood the love or the contract shaq gets.  He is an average linebacker with no discernible traits.  He is not bad but not overly good.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

For his decline in play and the cap savings shaq would be a 100% cut if I was a gm.  I never understood the love or the contract shaq gets.  He is an average linebacker with no discernible traits.  He is not bad but not overly good.

I agree, paying 24 million for an average LB too close to 30 is not wise just because he is a fan favorite. Nobody else would pay that much money for him, why should we?

Also tackles can sometime be misleading. You still get credit for a tackle if you miss your gap and run the guy down 10 yards later. TFLs, Sacks, FF, and INTs give you a clearer picture.

Can anybody think of the last time Shaq made a Luke/TD/Morgan/Beason like play in a game? I just see a lot of tackles 5 yards past the LOS and a ton of dropped INTs.

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

The Cap is a myth.

It more like guidelines really. 

It's not my money. 

Kick the can.

Who gives a sh!t?

Did I miss any?

I always come into these threads every year, just to see which corner stone player they wish to cut and see their mythical plan that they would execute if they were GM's. 

Then in the end, cornerstone players get paid, and others don't.   

• Beer 1