• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers add Jim Caldwell

ncfan

3 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Will Carr want to sign with a team when he knows it won’t be long term? (Don’t worry I read your post and know you just mention Carr as an option.)

Seems like Carr will want a long term deal and going to a team that wants him for 1 or 2 seasons doesn’t seem like what he wants. 

I think, if we sign a vet, it will be someone who won’t mind becoming the backup when we start our rookie. Carr probably doesn’t want to be a backup. 

I still think Tampa and Saints are more likely South teams to sign Carr because both would like to sign him long term. 

All true.  But right now I cannot rule that out. With Tepper I would not rule out anything. 

• Pie 1

You have to wonder how they sold him on this when so many other teams were after him for a more prominent position. I wonder how much legacy has to do with his decision. By that I mean, do you think that the pitch involved the opportunity to come in and mentor rising coaching talent? Evero is already on board and this will hopefully be a springboard for his next opportunity. How cool would it be for the Panthers to become an incubator for rising coaching talent? With older, veteran Head Coaches taking consultant roles where they get to continue to grow their coaching trees, but with the better quality of life that comes from a consultant role vs. HC. 

• Beer 2

58 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Word is he'll likely be on Payton's staff in Denver.

What do you think of OceanPanther's post? "I hope it's not like the  Phil Eagles a few years back when they signed so many free agents with a lot of talent, but they couldn't play together." You think egos will get in the way?  I highly respect your opinion on such things.

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I know he isn’t the young shiny OC type that so many people wanted but you could make the argument that his resume is better than Reich’s and definitely Wilks.

There is no guarantee these guys will mesh and/or the players will excel but in paper you have to appreciate the process this time. 

Reich and Caldwell have already worked together before.

• Beer 1

Just now, ThPantherFan said:

What do you think of OceanPanther's post? "I hope it's not like the  Phil Eagles a few years back when they signed so many free agents with a lot of talent, but they couldn't play together." You think egos will get in the way?  I highly respect your opinion on such things.

A lot of these guys have already worked together before so that lessens my worries about such a thing.

Also noteworthy that Reich is considered the kind of leader who can help people mesh together.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

This ^ is becoming my mantra for whoever we sign/draft/retain as QB this year. I've got some faith in the decision making process at the QB position for once. They may choose someone out of left field, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. They may trade away resources for the right guy, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They may stay put for the moment and work with who we have and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

GIF by Masterchef

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

You have to wonder how they sold him on this when so many other teams were after him for a more prominent position. I wonder how much legacy has to do with his decision. By that I mean, do you think that the pitch involved the opportunity to come in and mentor rising coaching talent? Evero is already on board and this will hopefully be a springboard for his next opportunity. How cool would it be for the Panthers to become an incubator for rising coaching talent? With older, veteran Head Coaches taking consultant roles where they get to continue to grow their coaching trees, but with the better quality of life that comes from a consultant role vs. HC. 

That's what I genuinely hope for. It's one thing to recruit young talent. It's quite another when the talent recruits you because they know you have the best opportunity for growth and advancement. 

• Pie 2