• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go for Carr hard and save #9 pick?

Jmac

30 minutes ago, FugginPoo said:

Pretty obvious we are taking a first round QB and the coaches hired have a 2-3 year window to mold him behind a good and young OL.  

I don’t understand how this plan by now isn’t clear to some ppl.. 

They’ve had plenty chances not to go this path..

1. Trading CMC for picks then not trading Burns.. So you get the picks to get your QB but don’t effect the defense..

2. If they wanted a vet FA option.. They could have save themselves from the grief of not picking Wilks.. Get Carr and run it back with a better QB.. They didn’t do that..

3. Bringing in not 1 but 3 QB whispers (Reich, Caldwell, and Mccown).. Why does a vet QB need this many QB guys on staff?? A rookie does..

They’ve been clear about the plan since Rhule was fired..

Edited by WOW!!

5 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

People love taking on other teams QB's thinking they will make a difference for us.smh

I see everybody claiming Carr is elite, but nobody can tell me why the Raiders cut bait with such an elite QB...

The same reason the Broncos cut bait with Cutler.

There aren't 32 people currently walking the planet that can play QB in the NFL to a competent level. This whole 'retread' narrative is ridiculous. Carr is a proven commodity. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, OldhamA said:

The same reason the Broncos cut bait with Cutler.

There aren't 32 people currently walking the planet that can play QB in the NFL to a competent level. This whole 'retread' narrative is ridiculous. Carr is a proven commodity. 

What has he proven again??

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's thrown for 35k yards in his career with a 2-1 TD-INT ratio (with over 200TDs).

So yeah, he's proven he's a pretty damn good NFL QB. 

Who has won nothing and put up meaningless stats..

At this point he’s Kurt Cousin lite and wants Cousin money.. 

But you’re right he’s proven in 8 years he has a ceiling and that ceiling needs a lot of help that his contract demands won’t help you get..

I can’t understand ppl fascination with quick fixes to mediocre?? Smh

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 2

53 minutes ago, The Crown and the Claw said:

While I guess things could change I have gotten zero sense that the Panthers are planning on seriously pursuing Carr or any other high priced vet QB. If anything they might kick the tires and do some due diligence but that’s the extent  

The plan since Reich’s hiring and all the staff brought in since have been about drafting and developing their own franchise quarterback. I don’t know where others are “hearing” things but at this point it’s much more likely to trade up in the draft than sign or trade for a current signal caller. 

Drafting a franchise QB is usually the way to go (easier said than done), but for those teams who only lack a few pieces of the puzzle, bringing in a hired gun has proven to be a successful strategy (See the Rams and Bucs).

I don't believe the Panthers are just a few pieces away from competing, so if Reich and Company believe in one of these QBs in the draft they've got my support.  On the other hand, if they choose to bring in one of the better vets to make the Panthers immediate playoff contenders, I'm good with that as well.

Afterall, I'm just a spectator.  No matter which way the Panthers decide to go, it isn't going to change my life in any meaningful way.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Drafting a franchise QB is usually the way to go (easier said than done), but for those teams who only lack a few pieces of the puzzle, bringing in a hired gun has proven to be a successful strategy (See the Rams and Bucs).

I don't believe the Panthers are just a few pieces away from competing, so if Reich and Company believe in one of these QBs in the draft they've got my support.  On the other hand, if they choose to bring in one of the better vets to make the Panthers immediate playoff contenders, I'm good with that as well.

Afterall, I'm just a spectator.  No matter which way the Panthers decide to go, it isn't going to change my life in any meaningful way.

Pretty much.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, The Crown and the Claw said:

While I guess things could change I have gotten zero sense that the Panthers are planning on seriously pursuing Carr or any other high priced vet QB. If anything they might kick the tires and do some due diligence but that’s the extent  

The plan since Reich’s hiring and all the staff brought in since have been about drafting and developing their own franchise quarterback. I don’t know where others are “hearing” things but at this point it’s much more likely to trade up in the draft than sign or trade for a current signal caller. 

How about reasonably priced vets like Brissett or Minshew who have experience in Indy/Philly systems?

Edited by 45catfan

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

Bringing in not 1 but 3 QB whispers (Reich, Caldwell, and Mccown).. Why does a vet QB need this many QB guys on staff?? A rookie does..

Well some younger vet QBs could still stand development, and some obviously made some jumps the last couple of years. 

I know that many of you just don't believe in Matt Corral, but I'd say that he will be on their things-to-do-list as well as anyone.

• Beer 1