• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Staff: Final Pieces (as of 2-23-23)

Mr. Scot

Current Current Staff (Link)

Assistant Head Coach: Duce Staley
Senior Assistant: Jim Caldwell

Offensive Coordinator: Thomas Brown 

Quarterback Coach: Josh McCown
Passing Game Coordinator: Parks Frazier
Runningbacks Coach: Duce Staley
Wide Receivers Coach: Shawn Jefferson
Tight Ends Coach: John Lilly
Offensive Line Coach: James Campen
Assistant Offensive Line Coach: Robert Kugler

Defensive Coordinator: Ejiro Evero
Senior Defensive Assistant: Dom Capers

Defensive Line Coach: Todd Wash
Linebackers Coach: Peter Hansen
Outside Linebackers Coach: Tem Lukabu
Safeties Coach: Bert Watts
Cornerbacks Coach: Jonathan Cooley

Assistant Defensive Backs Coach: DeAngelo Hall

Special Teams Coordinator: Chris Tabor
Assistant Special Teams Coach: Devin Fitzsimmons

Strength and Conditioning Coach: TBD

Waiting to be filled:

Strength and Conditioning Coach

Plus any additional assistants the team may want (S&C coaches frequently have at least one assistant).

Previous RB Coach Jeff Nixon could potentially fill one of the offensive spots. He's coached both receivers and tight ends in his career.

Former Panther Ricky Proehl could work either as a wide receiver coach or a strength and conditioning coach (a la his Proehlific Park stint) but right now he's the head coach of the XFL's Saint Louis Battlehawks where his son is a player so I wouldn't expect it.

Reich's old teammate Don Beebe has been in the performance business before as well, though Iast I saw he was the head football coach at a small university in Illinois. Unknown if he'd want to leave that gig for an NFL assistant job.

Denver parted ways with a respected strength and conditioning coach in Loren Landow. No word if there's any interest in him here.

Of course, the Panthers could also reunite with former S&C coach Joe "House" Kenn, but again I don't know if there's any discussion or possibility of that happening.

Down to the wire now. It's been a good ride so far. Let's see who fills the last few spots 😀

• Pie 4
  • The D 1

11 minutes ago, MtnJax said:

An argument could be made that right now, the Panthers are winning the off-season with the staff hires so far. At least getting a good start going into FA and draft

Has there ever been a time where you could honestly say that about this org?

Longtime NFL writer Jeff Howe would be one of the people making that argument.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

Before the OC hire, I was beginning to worry that we were moving to a very pass happy offense (albeit balanced by Duce Staley on staff), but this latest hire makes me think the balance is going to be very good and very strong between run and pass.

This, on paper, is beginning to look like the beginnings of the best staff we've ever had. Still, we won't know for sure until the team hits the field, and then probably for a few games. The potential, though, is just so, I don't know... inspiring?

Really can't wait to see the free agency moves and draft that we have. It's been a while since I've been this excited or optimistic for them!

And thanks for the rundown of the staff signings so far, OP! And the assessments of potential candidates.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I just don't see any way that Carr is the answer at QB with the architecture of this coaching staff. 

It's gotta be one of two paths:

• Trade for Lance or Fields and still have draft capital to add more pieces
  • Move up to get Stroud/AR/Young

There are other QBs in the class that may be better fits for the coaching staff, ones with less hype and risk.

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Current Current Staff (Link)

Assistant Head Coach: Duce Staley
Senior Assistant: Jim Caldwell

Offensive Coordinator: Thomas Brown 

Quarterback Coach: Josh McCown
Passing Game Coordinator: Parks Frazier
Runningbacks Coach: Duce Staley
Wide Receivers Coach: TBD
Tight Ends Coach: TBD
Offensive Line Coach: James Campen
Assistant Offensive Line Coach: Robert Kugler

Defensive Coordinator: Ejiro Evero
Senior Defensive Assistant: Dom Capers

Defensive Line Coach: Todd Wash
Linebackers Coach: Peter Hansen
Outside Linebackers Coach: Tem Lukabu
Safeties Coach: Bert Watts
Cornerbacks Coach: Jonathan Cooley

Special Teams Coordinator: Chris Tabor
Assistant Special Teams Coach: Devin Fitzsimmons

Strength and Conditioning Coach: TBD

Waiting to be filled are at least three spots:

Wide Receivers Coach
Tight Ends Coach
Strength and Conditioning Coach

Plus any additional assistants the team may want (S&C coaches frequently have at least one assistant).

Previous RB Coach Jeff Nixon could potentially fill one of the offensive spots. He's coached both receivers and tight ends in his career.

Jim Bob Cooter likely isn't a candidate to join the staff since he didn't get the OC job, but you never know.

Former Panther Ricky Proehl could work either as a wide receiver coach or a strength and conditioning coach (a la his Proehlific Park stint) but right now he's the head coach of the XFL's Saint Louis Battlehawks where his son is a player so I wouldn't expect it.

Reich's old teammate Don Beebe has been in the performance business before as well, though Iast I saw he was the head football coach at a small university in Illinois. Unknown if he'd want to leave that gig for an NFL assistant job.

Denver parted ways with a respected strength and conditioning coach in Loren Landow. No word if there's any interest in him here.

Of course, the Panthers could also reunite with former S&C coach Joe "House" Kenn, but again I don't know if there's any discussion or possibility of that happening.

Down to the wire now. It's been a good ride so far. Let's see who fills the last few spots 😀

I’d love Landow as strength and conditioning coach but he’s got a lucrative gym in LA. I doubt he’d come this far east

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jefferson is another guy who's carried the "Assistant Head Coach" title before (more than once).

yeah i'm definitely seeing a trend. WIlks was valued most because he was a leader of men.

It seems that "leader of men" is kind of what they are going for. Not just coaches, but ones who are valued for their leadership and teaching skills and who are on track to get head coaching jobs or at least have been valued enough in their previous organizations to be named assistant head coach. 

It's very possible that the coaching program here could help people become head coaches later on. Would be great of we garnered attention from prospective assistants as a place where you won't only be paid more than anywhere else, but as a solid stepping stone towards your own head coaching job. 

• Poo 1

3 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I just don't see any way that Carr is the answer at QB with the architecture of this coaching staff. 

It's gotta be one of two paths:

• Trade for Lance or Fields and still have draft capital to add more pieces
  • Move up to get Stroud/AR/Young

I don’t think we’d have to move up for AR, he’d be there at 9 imo 

Did a little bit of looking (not too deep) into prior connections for both Reich and Caldwell. Honestly didn't find too much.

Only name that stuck out (who wasn't already employed elsewhere or retired) was Wade Harman, a tight end coach Caldwell had worked with in Baltimore.

He hasn't coached in a year or two though so... 😕