• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Real Wildcards This Offseason

saX man

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/28/seahawks-pete-carroll-quarterback-2023-draft

Despite Geno Smith‘s resurgent campaign in his first season with the Seahawks, head coach Pete Carroll admitted Seattle is mulling all options when it comes to the 2023 draft, including potentially drafting a quarterback. 

During a media address on Tuesday, Carroll described the Seahawks as being "totally connected" to the top quarterbacks in the draft, via Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times

“We’re totally connected to the quarterbacks that are coming out. This is a really huge opportunity for us. It’s a rare opportunity—we’ve been drafting in the low 20s for such a long time you just don’t get the chance with some of these guys. So we’re deeply involved with all that,” said Carroll.

I'd say Seattle might be a wildcard in this draft also. Geno is a one-year wonder at this point and they could be looking to their potential future franchise QB as well. 

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Despite Geno Smith‘s resurgent campaign in his first season with the Seahawks, head coach Pete Carroll admitted Seattle is mulling all options when it comes to the 2023 draft, including potentially drafting a quarterback. 

During a media address on Tuesday, Carroll described the Seahawks as being "totally connected" to the top quarterbacks in the draft, via Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times

“We’re totally connected to the quarterbacks that are coming out. This is a really huge opportunity for us. It’s a rare opportunity—we’ve been drafting in the low 20s for such a long time you just don’t get the chance with some of these guys. So we’re deeply involved with all that,” said Carroll.

I'd say Seattle might be a wildcard in this draft also. Geno is a one-year wonder at this point and they could be looking to their potential future franchise QB as well. 

I watched his press conference live and I came away with that impression.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I watched his press conference live and I came away with that impression.  

Geno seemed sharper at the beginning of season than at the end.  

Might be an age factor or not having had to play an entire season for quite some time.

Either way, Pete Carroll is smart to explore the Seahawks options at QB.

If for no other reason than to remind Geno that he's not the only fish in the sea. 

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Yeah, while this could just be Pete being cagey about the Seahawks intentions, there is more than just a little truth in what he's saying.  

Kinda sucks, because I was hoping Seattle would be a potential trade partner if the Panthers decided to move up in the draft.  Now the Seahawks appear more likely to be in direct competition for the same players.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, stbugs said:

Nope. This is Love’s fourth year now. Aaron Rodgers, like Tom Brady is a unicorn in terms of a legit QB star who took years to become a starter. Just like I don’t believe Purdy is the next Brady.

We are all familiar with coach speak and many people thought Love was over drafted back in 2020. If the Packers got pick 4, I think they go QB. Honestly, the drop off of non-QBs is huge from 3 to 4.

Agreed.  If they get to 4, the smart thing is to draft a QB.  Sit him for a year and let Love start.  If Love goes nuts, you have him for year 5 and the tag, year 5 to solidify his playing ability, or cut him after year 4 and let the rook take over for the next 4 years.

The Packers are one of the very few teams who REALLY plan for their next QB.  Smart, as it's the most important ingredient to baking this cake.