• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Byron Jones Story

Mr. Scot

Wild story hitting the news today...

Remember when it came out that our former longtime trainer was into some shady dealings?

I haven't looked to see if there's been any medical staff turnover since Tepper arrived, but I'd like to hope the guy who says his team should have "the best of everything" is looking to make that true in what's arguably the most important area.

Given that the same guy who said this wants a turf field so he can host rock concerts though... 😕

• Pie 1

I used to get shots in a shoulder for an entire season in college, now 2 surgeries later,  I have a pin in it and about 50% range of motion.  It makes me grunt when I open and close the car door, which gets on my wife's nerves.

I played 2 years in HS and 2 in college--and I am banged up as a result and to be honest, I was glad it was over when it ended--I cannot imagine what it is like to play 4 years in college and 10 in the NFL---those guys are paying for it later.

I heard a trainer (in college) tell me that she was researching injuries--you are 10x more likely to suffer a severe injury in college than you were in HS, and 10x more likely to suffer a serious injury in the NFL compared to college.  Not sure where she got the data, but it stayed with me. 

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Panthera onca said:

It defies belief that he says he had no idea what the long term implications of playing football would be. Some things are obvious even to a dumbass like me.

Isn't dumbass two words?  The fact that it is illustrates your point, and the fact that I had to ask means I am a dumbass too. 🙈🤪

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

It defies belief that he says he had no idea what the long term implications of playing football would be. Some things are obvious even to a dumbass like me.

Yeah, I don't know whether to believe that or not.

What I do know is that this story is likely to generate a load of talk.

(also a pretty good chance that some of it won't be especially productive) 😕

Edited by Mr. Scot

I played through high school and still have shoulder issues and the occasional knee flare ups.  If I knew then what I know now there is no way I am playing football.  We didnt let our kids play, the poo is not worth it.  I cannot imagine the damage those guys have playing 3/4 year in college and then into the nfl.  If your dumbass didnt know what you were doing is bad for your body then thats on you.

Also want to say I was lucky enough to never had a concussion, lord knows how fuged I would be if I had a couple of those under my belt

Edited by mrcompletely11

1 hour ago, Panthera onca said:

These guys all know what they signed up for. They are commodities to the teams who are focused on the short term and keeping the players on the field. The NFL and the teams that constitute it don’t care what the health of the players will be once their careers are over.

The problem isn't the physical abuse they put their bodies through. The problem is what passes as medical treatment where care is more based on getting players out on the field as soon as possible, whatever drugs or procedures it takes regardless of the long term impact on them. 

They have been told that whatever treatment they receive is in their best interest, when it is in the best interest of the organization. 

The problem is they aren't told what the long term impact is. They are pressured to use the organization's choice of doctor and tes, they should have considered this and they should have done their due diligence. They should have looked at other options outside of the organizations choice irlf doctors and treatments.

And this alarm is being sounded by a player who discovered it too late so that others can know.

There's nothing dumbass about it.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It might be obvious to you now, but would it be obvious to you as a 20 year old borderline superhuman athlete? 

Kids do dumb things thinking that they are invincible and rarely cae about the long term effects of their actions. Professional players are no different, in fact they get sucked into a culture where they just learn to roll with whatever the team doctors say and do. They aren't focused on the long term. 

It takes people like Byron Jones stepping up and ringing the bell to draw attention to their more than likely future of pain in part done by treatments they went through trying to get back on the field quicker. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1