• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CORRAL

scratched

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That doesn't mean athleticism overrides the other two.  It doesn't matter how big, fast or strong they are if they aren't accurate enough or smart enough to master the position at this level.

My interpretation of what the new staff has stated about the QB position is that they're going to place significantly more importance on intelligence than what we've seen in the past. 

After hearing them, I thought to myself:  If what these coaches are saying is true, no way is Sam Darnold getting resigned by the Panthers. 

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

My interpretation of what the new staff has stated about the QB position is that they're going to place significantly more importance on intelligence than what we've seen in the past. 

After hearing them, I thought to myself:  If what these coaches are saying is true, no way is Sam Darnold getting resigned by the Panthers. 

I've heard that his offense can be hard to master for the average qb. Not sure what that means. I assume it to mean it has a library of plays and concepts to learn to fully master it. I'm sure he can adapt it to the abilities of his qb as he's done in the past. 

The only difference would be that this would be the first time he's had the opportunity to select who he thinks can master it from the draft. 

The only other thing that could upset that would be that they could not manage to get the guy they wanted for whatever reason.  But I am confident that they will get one of the 2 guys they will have it narrowed down to. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I am confident that they will get one of the 2 guys they will have it narrowed down to. 

Based on what's happened so far with the Panthers, it is clear that Tepper isn't pulling any punches this year.

With that in mind, I tend to agree with you that the Panthers will do just about anything necessary to get their target at QB or go down swinging. 

I don't know if I'd say "at all costs" but, then again, Tepper has shown that he's willing to make some rather rash moves (Rhule/Watson) for the sake of winning. 

Here's hoping that Reich will be a moderating force on Tepper's sometimes impulsive behavior.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

38 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That doesn't mean athleticism overrides the other two.  It doesn't matter how big, fast or strong they are if they aren't accurate enough or smart enough to master the position at this level.

True, but all things being equal (or close to equal, because things are never really equal), I'm taking the smart, accurate guy with the athleticism, and anybody would.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I doubt Carr will agree to a 2 year deal. 

Guaranteed money is all that matters. You can sign him for 7 years and dump him after 2 as long as the dead cap money isn't too high. The problem is qbs want everything guaranteed rather than incentive based which has always been the better way to boost performance.

• Pie 4

12 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Guaranteed money is all that matters. You can sign him for 7 years and dump him after 2 as long as the dead cap money isn't too high. The problem is qbs want everything guaranteed rather than incentive based which has always been the better way to boost performance.

Good observation.  Also, a few of these vet QBs have a chip on their shoulder and are looking to make a point to their old teams.  It could work in the Panthers favor, should they choose to go in that direction.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

There is definitely a line where athleticism and talent matters though. If all you had to be was smart and have some touch the league would be dominated by 6 ft QBs like Heineke. Fitzpatrick was a Harvard grad and was only moderately successful.

Understanding the game only goes as far as you’re able to implement that understanding on your play. 

You can be smartest and conceptually understand everything but if you crumble under pressure and can’t stand in the pocket you’re useless.

Edited by OneBadCat
  • Pie 2

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

True, but all things being equal (or close to equal, because things are never really equal), I'm taking the smart, accurate guy with the athleticism, and anybody would.

Absolutely, I want the smartest most accurate guy there is behind center. 

Look at it this way. If the guy already has great footwork, anticipation and can also fit it in tight windows as a rookie coming out of college that is guy you want to look at. Those natural abilities that are difficult to teach is invaluable to a rookie.  It slows down the game for them because they are not thinking about their mechanics while still trying to read a defense.  They are not going to have wide open receivers all the time at this level.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

There is definitely a line where athleticism and talent matters though. If all you had to be was smart and have some touch the league would be dominated by 6 ft QBs like Heineke. Fitzpatrick was a Harvard grad and was only moderately successful.

Understanding the game only goes as far as you’re able to implement that understanding on your play. 

You can be smartest and conceptually understand everything but if you crumble under pressure and can’t stand in the pocket you’re useless.

Athleticism is definitely a factor.  These guy's would not be here if they weren't.  All of the qbs coming out in recent years are very athletic.  That is the reality of the kids playing at the college level.  

The nfl has been trying to adjust to the evolution of the prospects coming into the league.  There's no such thing as a pocket passer qb anymore. The colleges are just not producing those types of QBs. 

The game has evolved to a point that inorder to compete  you need a qb with some mobility. They need enough mobility to make things happen to keep a drive alive in the big game.  You are competing against the likes of Mahomes, Hurts, Burrow, Allen, you get the picture.