• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Matt Miller.. Panthers all in on Richardson?

micnificent28

41 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It appears to me we have more needs than our current amount of draft picks can provide. Unless they nail every single one of any they have left after trading up. 

I still see them being aggressive on draft day--they have been very aggressive so far...

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I’m torn on Richardson. He’s a less athletic, less developed, less accurate Cam. And I loved Cam. I just worry about having a guy who falls back on his arm strength and athleticism again (and why wouldn’t he). I want a QB for the next 15 yrs not the next 5-10 until injuries start piling up. Also, he needs A LOT of development, which we seem to have the coaching staff for, but will he ever be an elite processor or have elite pocket presence like Young? I’m pretty confident the answer to the latter is no.

The more I watch, the more I’m on the Young train. The kid is special. And I was on the Stroud train before because of Young’s size. But Young’s pocket presence and awareness is so far beyond the rest of these guys it’s insane. I just don’t think he’ll take as many big hits because he manipulates the pocket and senses blind side pressure so well. So it’s like if you said QB A would get injured once every 10 hits and QB B would get injured once every 20 hits, but QB A takes half as many hits as QB B, they have the same likelihood of getting injured.

If Young was 6’2 he would be considered one of the greatest QB prospects ever. If we can’t trade up for him, I’m fine with Richardson at 9, but I don’t think I’d want to trade up for Richardson.

It’s not his height it’s his weight that bothers me. He’s going to get hurt as his playing weight. 

• Pie 1

My phone is smoking hot from people texting me about what I think--

I think the Panthers will be aggressive to get a QB, but not trade the entire draft and a first next year aggressive.  I see the Colts trading up with the Bears, who drop to #4.  The Panthers will try to get them to drop to #9, and their offer will be aggressive--only if the Cardinals to not trade with Vegas, for example, so that  Vegas can land a QB, taking the Panthers' option off the board.

Edited by MHS831

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

It’s not his height it’s his weight that bothers me. He’s going to get hurt as his playing weight. 

He can put on weight. I think he said at the podium he was around 200 right now. But yeah I get it, and that’s why I was not sold on him at first. But man, whatever “it” is, he has it. And again, I’m less worried after watching more of him, because he is just absolutely elite in the pocket and he has that spidey sense for blindside pressure. So while I am worried about the hits that he will inevitably take, I am more confident in his ability to take less hits than any of the other guys, and less BIG hits. He’s not gonna get buried by an edge off the blindside like some of the other guys because he’s going to sense the pressure and find space in the pocket to step up, and he’s very good about staying tight and compact and presenting a small and slippery target for pressure up the middle.

Keep a good oline in front of him like Brees had his whole career and the kid will cook.

12 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I’ll say this.

Cam was No Question a much better passer than him.

But.  I’m not so sure you could dismiss this if you are talking same point of their career and age.  Was Cam that much better at Blinn Juco as a Passer than ARich now?

Ah that’s a solid point. So Cam was his age at Blinn?

Hadn't thought of it like that. 

1 minute ago, WUnderhill said:

He can put on weight. I think he said at the podium he was around 200 right now. But yeah I get it, and that’s why I was not sold on him at first. But man, whatever “it” is, he has it. And again, I’m less worried after watching more of him, because he is just absolutely elite in the pocket and he has that spidey sense for blindside pressure. So while I am worried about the hits that he will inevitably take, I am more confident in his ability to take less hits than any of the other guys, and less BIG hits. He’s not gonna get buried by an edge off the blindside like some of the other guys because he’s going to sense the pressure and find space in the pocket to step up, and he’s very good about staying tight and compact and presenting a small and slippery target for pressure up the middle.

Keep a good oline in front of him like Brees had his whole career and the kid will cook.

Thats the point, the 200 is a fake weight.  With his frame he can only get so big.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats the point, the 200 is a fake weight.  With his frame he can only get so big.

Stroud and Young were given optimal conditions to perform at a high level, and they did.  Richardson and Levis--not so much.  It is closer to apples and oranges than most here realize.

Richardson really ended his season better than his stats indicate.  Did he respond to coaching?  Did he figure some things out?  Is he developing and growing at a higher rate than others? 

That is what makes this so hard to predict.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

What’s the point? Are you suggesting he can’t put on any more weight? Again, I get the concern and laid out my reasons why it has become less of a concern for me personally. Never said he could carry 250 or something.

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Yeah the Panthers are selling out for a redshirt sophomore with only 13 games starting experience. Makes sense to me. 

Posters can say it’s not because of Cam. But reading this thread tells me otherwise. 

if he’s the pick, I will support him as a Panther. But the Cam comparisons need to stop until he takes some snaps in the NFL. If goes one, it’s all on potential. Cam was taken at one as much more of a complete package. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

10 hours ago, AggieLean said:

I wouldn’t be mad at it. Hopefully, he shows out tomorrow and his pro day, but not too much. Don’t want him elevating himself to #1

He will and he will be taken early because we can't have nice things.  😑