• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking: Lamar Jackson is available as Raven's have placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on him.

thunderraiden

3 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

He also hasn't looked nearly as good since that season.  And he has never looked good in a playoff game.

I question if he was really hurt when he did not play in the Ravens last game or he was not risking an injury in what he knew was a contract year. That was not what potential quarterback teams wanted to see. 

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen an NFL team do. Imagine declining to pickup a guy's 5th year option and then after seeing him throw for only 3200 yards and 15 TDs deciding to give him that contract. LOLOLOLOL 

If he does not produce after getting that bag the media will run him out of New York. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Paying a guy who isn't providing any benefit to you isn't exactly good business either.

if Jackson chose to simply sit out, it's highly unlikely that the team would be okay with simply paying him to stay home. They'd seek to get that salary back, and in all likelihood they'd win.

And I know a couple of people have suggested he could go the "ouch my finger" route, but again he'd likely face a legal challenge, one he'd have a good chance of losing. Especially so given that Jackson has already been accused of sitting out a game he could have played, which likely means any contract that he signs is going to have provisions covering that sort of thing.

And throwing in what I probably should have mentioned previously, one of the other big differences (and arguably one of the most important) between Watson's situation and Jackson's is that Watson was getting paid. He'd already made significant money to begin with, but the Texans allowed him to continue being paid in part because of his legal situation complicating trade talks. Were it not for that, his situation might not have dragged down as long as it did.

With Jackson, if he refuses to sign his franchise tender, he doesn't get paid.

If he signs but doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.

If he claims to have an injury but can't back it up medically, he likely doesn't get paid there either.

And again, all of this is considering that he hasn't already made big money like Watson had when he held out. Plus, as mentioned, he'd be missing out on his prime years. And who's to say there's still a market for him a couple years down the road?

Bottom Line: All indications are that One way or the other, the Ravens are likely to win this particular battle of wills.

Frankly, I'd say we win too...specifically by not being involved.

I think the “ouch my finger” route isn’t that simple. Most players have injuries they play through throughout the season. He isn’t going to risk any further injury without some sort of guarantee (longer term contract more money etc…). You mentioned language in the contract??? I dare any NFL team to write up a contract saying the player will play through “mild” injuries. That’s a damn lawsuit waiting to happen with this whole player safety movement going on. Just like CMC never finished a “healthy” season during our previous two 5 win seasons, but magically made it all year on a team in the playoffs in San Francisco. You are going to have a hard time making a player play through any minor injury. Though it wasn’t minor, Jackson pretty much did this the last game of the season and had teammates upset about it. Why would he risk further injuring his body with there is no financial protection? 
I’ll say it again just like I did to Sizzle over and over again. Strong arming the locker room leader/QB of the team is not very good business.  

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

If he does not produce after getting that bag the media will run him out of New York. 

Marty Hurney can tell you all about how the "pay a player like he's good hoping it'll actually make him good" experiment usually works out. Hell, so can Fitts for that matter after that Ian Thomas deal.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not you specifically.

As has been discussed in prior cases, collusion is an extremely difficult thing to prove.

For sure, I just think it’s odd all the teams within minutes of this come out and say no. It’s like they are all getting together to shut down the guaranteed contract to show the browns, and league, who’s who. The editorial director of the ravens deleted a tweet saying it’s funny the teams said no thanks but will ask for lamars number soon. 

17 minutes ago, Car123 said:

It’s obviously collusion. It’s strange that no team is willing to talk to him or his agent. We’re getting the same type of PR quote from every team that is in dire need for a QB.

Part of the issue is Lamar is his own agent which has been talked about as being an issue when these talks began over a year ago.

• Pie 1