• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Kunkel says we're only "seriously interested" in three

top dawg

According to Anthony Rizzuti, Will Kunkel of Queen City News says that he believes that we are only "seriously interested" in three of the four top QB prospects in this year's draft (spoiler: and AR15 ain't one of them).

"Will Kunkel of FOX Charlotte was featured on Wednesday’s episode of the Panthers On Tap podcast, joining hosts Curtis Rauen and Bryson Karbley to put a bow on the combine. When going over their options under center in this year’s draft, Kunkel said he believes that there are only three prospects in play for Carolina’s first-round pick—Bryce Young, CJ Stroud and Will Levis."

Here is what Kunkel said:

I think those are the only three that they are seriously interested in,” he said. “I do not think Anthony Richardson is a good play for them, and I don’t think they’re overly interested in him because he’s not ready to play in the NFL right away and they don’t have a guy for him to sit behind right now.”

A few thoughts:

Charlottonians (damned that's close to charlatans), would Kunkel even really know what we really think, because this "report," as Rizutti characterized it,  screams of speculation?

This belief does kind of fall in line with the thought that we will move up and have built a staff to facilitate the development of a young signal caller. 

The Anthony Richardson post Combine hype is still real. Beteen Rizzuti's unlimited ceiling comment and Kunkel outright saying that AR would be a "good play" for us, is almost as if they are lamenting that he's presumably not in the plans. But, by Kunkel's own admission, "he's not ready to play."

Take it for what it's worth. There is plenty of rationale for our interest to gravitate towards the "top three," and Kunkel's thoughts could easily be real, but it's not like Kunkel said "I know" as opposed to "I think."

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/08/panthers-2023-draft-seriously-interested-anthony-richardson-bryce-young-cj-stroud-will-levis/

Edited by top dawg

I was just guestimating this in another thread by process of elimination.  Levis rumors floating around, high praise for Young (plus he is high on all boards), and McCown being high on Stroud in his video review.  If we are high on all 3 we should trade with the Cards sooner vs later.  

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I was just guestimating this in another thread by process of elimination.  Levis rumors floating around, high praise for Young (plus he is high on all boards), and McCown being high on Stroud in his video review.  If we are high on all 3 we should trade with the Cards sooner vs later.  

Well, I've always said that trading to three only makes sense if you're willing to draft either-or. 

I forgot to mention that Kunkel's thinking kinda falls in line with Person's thinking also on liking AR, but not enough to spend our top 10 draft capital to draft him.

• Pie 4

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-board-big-board

1. QB Bryce Young, Alabama

Young measured in at 5-foot-10 1/8, but that's all the height he needed to earn back-to-back overall grades over 91.0 as Alabama's starting quarterback. He plays the position better than anyone else in the class, even if his size makes him the biggest injury risk of the bunch.

4. QB Will Levis, Kentucky

Levis' arm stood out among a very talented quarterback group at the scouting combine. The zip he has to the intermediate level of the field paired with his compact release is special. He did as much as he could to alleviate the concerning accuracy we saw on tape.

5. QB C.J. Stroud, Ohio State

Stroud gave a “don't forget about me” performance in Indianapolis. He was the single most accurate quarterback in attendance and feathered in multiple 60-plus-yard go-balls.