• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wasted Draft Picks

shaq

I never understood why we actually cut Baker, yes it was probably the admirable thing to do for Baker as he wasn’t going to start going forward. Yet, we still gave up our 2024 5th for him, and had we let him just ride the bench and play out his contract. Then this offseason we could have potentially recouped the value we lost in terms of a comp pick. Nit picking here, but man we trade away our later round picks for a whole lotta nothin. Combined with the 6th we gave for half a season of Stephon Gilmore, the third for CJ Henderson, the third this year we used with our third last year to trade up for Matt Corall(got fleeced), if we weren’t so desperate for all these later round picks because of those trades, maybe we wouldn’t have had to trade CMC. 

The way the Panthers have handled the QB situation the last 3 years has been historically bad. The picks we traded for Darnold, the contract we gave Bridgewater, Baker,  asking Cam to save our season, and trading this years 3rd on a QB that got hurt before season started and we apparently already gave up on

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, shaq said:

I never understood why we actually cut Baker, yes it was probably the admirable thing to do for Baker as he wasn’t going to start going forward. Yet, we still gave up our 2024 5th for him, and had we let him just ride the bench and play out his contract. Then this offseason we could have potentially recouped the value we lost in terms of a comp pick. Nit picking here, but man we trade away our later round picks for a whole lotta nothin. Combined with the 6th we gave for half a season of Stephon Gilmore, the third for CJ Henderson, the third this year we used with our third last year to trade up for Matt Corall(got fleeced), if we weren’t so desperate for all these later round picks because of those trades, maybe we wouldn’t have had to trade CMC. 

We did trade CMC for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and a 5th to basically get back Sam and CJ’s picks which were a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th. What we traded away of course were early in the round picks and what we got back were late in the round picks, so you could say value wise that we traded away CMC and a 4th or 5th to get Sam and CJ. Not a good trade, but oh well. Teddy’s trade was Gilmore, so that was a wash but we did also waste a 4th and a 3rd on Corral as well, again early round picks.

I want a WB bad but I really hope we can get him at 9. Something tells me that trading up coupled with not trading Burns is going hurt watching the drafts unfold this year and the next two. Hopefully, we get the next Mahomes and don’t care.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

We did trade CMC for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and a 5th to basically get back Sam and CJ’s picks which were a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th. What we traded away of course were early in the round picks and what we got back were late in the round picks, so you could say value wise that we traded away CMC and a 4th or 5th to get Sam and CJ. Not a good trade, but oh well. Teddy’s trade was Gilmore, so that was a wash but we did also waste a 4th and a 3rd on Corral as well, again early round picks.

I want a WB bad but I really hope we can get him at 9. Something tells me that trading up coupled with not trading Burns is going hurt watching the drafts unfold this year and the next two. Hopefully, we get the next Mahomes and don’t care.

Agreed, can’t believe I forgot to include the picks we traded for Darnold. But, great point trading up is going to put such an emphasis on hitting on our later round picks which is now much harder with how much less picks we have/lower quality depth due to consistent years of trading away lower round picks for nothing.

4 hours ago, csx said:

I don't believe he would have qualified with as little playing time as he would have had 

Playing time plays a factor in increasing the value of the pick for the team they sign their next contract for. I don’t think playing time for the original team their leaving plays a role but I could be wrong.

The only deal I have issue with; that we truly got fleeced on, was the Darnold trade. 

I can rationalize all the trades the day that happened (CJ, Baker, Gilmore), even the act of trading for Darnold. But the cost was wild, especially after Baker only cost a 5th a year later, making it look even worse.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

The only deal I have issue with; that we truly got fleeced on, was the Darnold trade. 

I can rationalize all the trades the day that happened (CJ, Baker, Gilmore), even the act of trading for Darnold. But the cost was wild, especially after Baker only cost a 5th a year later, making it look even worse.

Just my opinion, but I think the reason we got fleeced on the Darnold trade was Rhule had already played his hand with T2G. We were desperate and everyone knew it. Even being the only interested party, when you have no where else to turn, you're going to get stuck paying more than you want to. No one could seriously think we were headed into that season with PJ Walker as our starting QB. Was never going to happen. 

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Just my opinion, but I think the reason we got fleeced on the Darnold trade was Rhule had already played his hand with T2G. We were desperate and everyone knew it. Even being the only interested party, when you have no where else to turn, you're going to get stuck paying more than you want to. No one could seriously think we were headed into that season with PJ Walker as our starting QB. Was never going to happen. 

That would make sense. 

I also think the “Gase” narrative  worked too. It’s easy to blame a players lack of success on the dysfunction of the environment, because sometimes it’s true. Players often find success in better organizations.

And that is happening again to a certain extent, because it’s still true that Darnold hasn’t had competent coaches in a stable environment.

But that can only be the excuse for so long. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Wundrbread33 said:

That would make sense. 

I also think the “Gase” narrative  worked too. It’s easy to blame a players lack of success on the dysfunction of the environment, because sometimes it’s true. Players often find success in better organizations.

And that is happening again to a certain extent, because it’s still true that Darnold hasn’t had competent coaches in a stable environment.

But that can only be the excuse for so long. 

That's been my thought as well regarding coaching. Rhule and his staff weren't qualified to really help him develop. If he comes back here, maybe the coaching staff can help him with his processing and development. If not, oh well, nothing lost.