• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB breakdowns by Josh McCown

Martin

27 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

Yes, less training wheels. Bryce operated with more command of the offense and this is supported by Nick Saban's comments that Bryce was like an extra coach on the field this year and the Panthers GM stating that Young's understanding of the game is already at an NFL level.

Also, the quality at receiver this year at Alabama wasn't like the previous year with John Metchie and Jameson Williams then before Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith or Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs.  No OL, TE, or WR from Alabama is projected to go in the first two rounds this year. Jahmyr Gibbs, their RB should be late 1st or early second.

This isn't a knock on Stroud or why he shouldn't be considered for no.1 pick. He just wasn't asked to do more than Young this past season and had more talent at offense. 

You can make the argument Bryce was asked to do more but it still helps tremendously to have one of the greatest coaches in college football history to lean on and be coached by. And of course his coach is going to talk him up what else is he going to say? We know he didn't have MH JR but can we please stop acting like he was working with bums? Some of those guys will be drafted let's keep it real here. And even further let's be even more honest. Mac Jones who is overrated AF and was poo on here repeatedly before he was drafted did way more with Alabama and Saban. If Bryce had accomplished what Mac did the Bears would still be sitting at 1. Real talk.

Edited by frankw

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

For someone that plays the victim card, you sure jump at any chance to poke and prod at people.

Once you come at me over N over, I'm ready for all the smoke you got. 

I'm no victim as I dish it back! Y'all came up with this victim thing in your own mind. That's not my personality buddy. If you come at me, I come back at you hard. If you respect me, I respect you back.

If you want to be on my the list, you are welcome to disrespect me & I can add you.

when they were antagonizing me, I didn't see you make these comments toward them.

• Poo 1

19 minutes ago, Martin said:

For someone that plays the victim card, you sure jump at any chance to poke and prod at people.

12 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

Once you come at me over N over, I'm ready for all the smoke you got. 

I'm no victim as I dish it back! Y'all came up with this victim thing in your own mind. That's not my personality buddy. If you come at me, I come back at you hard. If you respect me, I respect you back.

If you want to be on my the list, you are welcome to disrespect me & I can add you.

when they were antagonizing me, I didn't see you make these comments toward them.

Can anybody spare some popcorn? I'm out.

popcorn-emoji.gif

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

You can make the argument Bryce was asked to do more but it still helps tremendously to have one of the greatest coaches in college football history to lean on and be coached by. And of course his coach is going to talk him up what else is he going to say? We know he didn't have MH JR but can we please stop acting like he was working with bums? Some of those guys will be drafted let's keep it real here. And even further let's be even more honest. Mac Jones who is overrated AF and was poo on here repeatedly before he was drafted did way more with Alabama and Saban. If Bryce had accomplished what Mac did the Bears would still be sitting at 1. Real talk.

Of course his coach will talk him up. It's about what's being corroborated  by sources external from Alabama. Our own QB coach Josh McCown mentioned that Young is doing several things that most college QBs aren't asked to do today. This then gets supported by what Saban said and Scott Fitterer, the Panthers GM comments after meeting with Young in person. 

No one said that Alabama doesn't recruit 4 or 5 stars every year or send players to the NFL. I'm comparing the level of talent that Alabama had this year to their previous years 

The one thing Mac Jones did more than Bryce Young is win a national championship as a starter. Jones finished 3rd in the Heisman as his two teammates that year: Devonta Smith won it and Najee Harris finished fifth. Also, Metchie and Jaylen Waddle (played six games) were on the team as well. 

I'm more sure if Bryce was Stroud's or Richardson's frame. The Bears wouldn't have traded out.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

On 3/29/2023 at 5:39 PM, ForJimmy said:

Directly from our HC's mouth.  What more do you need to see here???

I understand why people are uncomfortable with Young's height as it may or may not correlate with durability.

I often thought that Cam's size and athleticism, at least in part, contributed to some  of those roughing the passer NON-calls.  Refs had the attitude, "he can take it".

I wonder if that works in the other direction.

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I understand why people are uncomfortable with Young's height as it may or may not correlate with durability.

I often thought that Cam's size and athleticism, at least in part, contributed to some  of those roughing the passer NON-calls.  Refs had the attitude, "he can take it".

I wonder if that works in the other direction.

No doubt they will throw more flags for him IMO. If you sneezed on Brees he got a flag so Young should get his, especially if he is as good as advertised.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, poundaway said:

It be nice to see what its like on the other side of that.

Agreed. I’m just worried the height (2 inches shorter than Brees) could limit some plays and reads and the style (extends plays and takes hits) could lead to a shorter career. He will probably adjust his playing style in the NFL a little which most rookies do anyway.

• Pie 2

39 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

That back shoulder throw CJ made falling backwards off 1 foot was amazing. 

Glad Kurt also showed examples of him making multiple reads, and moving the safeties off in the endzone was a pro move as well. Also the narrative that his WR's are constantly open is bs, he constantly makes throws in super tight coverage

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

On 4/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, gmonjimbo said:

To provide some context - entering the National Championship game against Georgia John Metchie, Alabama's second leading receiver tore his ACL in the SEC championship game. Then their leading receiver, Jameson Williams tore his ACL on the opening drive of the second quarter against Georgia in the National championship game. At that point the game was tied 3-3 Williams had four catches for 65 yards and in the previous matchup against Georgia, Williams had 7 receptions 184 yards and 2 TDs. 

It's not to make an excuse for him but to give context heading into and during national title game

I hear ya'...On the other hand, CJ had a depleted and ineffective running game heading into the Peach Bowl. Lost his best TE Stover in the first half. Then lost Marvin Harrison Jr in the second half. Yet,still...

5 hours ago, 96Bravo said:

I hear ya'...On the other hand, CJ had a depleted and ineffective running game heading into the Peach Bowl. Lost his best TE Stover in the first half. Then lost Marvin Harrison Jr in the second half. Yet,still...

JSN missed that game as well as most of the season also. He still got them in range for the game winning FG (granted it was a long one for a college kicker).