• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers reworking Shaq's Deal

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Some of ya'll just don't keep the same energy and can't handle when your hand gets slapped. Folks have been dragging DJ Moore through the dirt for 24 hours. But you're giddy because we've got a linebacker under contract until he's 31. Gotta love it.

Ah, the failed troll play. Ignore what you said, which was totally wrong, and throw out insults instead.

I haven't been dragging DJ. I wouldn't do that because I loved watching him play and I will miss him. I won't drag Shaq either and I'm glad he's staying a Panther. Slap away, jerk. You're still a pathetic troll and soon you'll run out of troll plays.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

I would love some details..

All I've seen is it's a 2 year deal, dunno if that includes reworking this year or literally two more years added. OTC's extension option says it would clear $9M but dunno how they came up with that math because it doesn't say how many years their hypothetical extension would be. 

6 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

Ah, the failed troll play. Ignore what you said, which was totally wrong, and throw out insults instead.

I haven't been dragging DJ. I wouldn't do that because I loved watching him play and I will miss him. I won't drag Shaq either and I'm glad he's staying a Panther. Slap away, jerk. You're still a pathetic troll and soon you'll run out of troll plays.

I like Shaq. Doesn't mean I have to ignore the warning sign of us investing in an aging linebacker again. Anybody who says something you don't like is a pathetic troll huh? Staying up until 1 am to defend Shaq's honor because you want to look good in case he reads these posts doesn't make you superior. Welcome to real life.

• Poo 1

9 hours ago, Smithers said:

Shaq had 135 tackles last year, ranked 12th in the nfl in solo tackles, and had a pff grade of 72.  He’s a good player.  

those same people on here claiming Shaq isn’t good are the same ones claiming Perryman is all pro 

Perfect!

Shaq may not be (or have been) the best value, but he's been solid to very good over the years--generally good.

He's getting older, yes, so you never know, but I still think that "solid" is his floor over the next couple of years. 

• Pie 7

7 hours ago, frankw said:

Some of ya'll just don't keep the same energy and can't handle when your hand gets slapped. Folks have been dragging DJ Moore through the dirt for 24 hours. But you're giddy because we've got a linebacker under contract until he's 31. Gotta love it.

Some of y'all make posts on the huddle to share your opinions and to hear the opinions of others.  Others of y'all make posts on the huddle to criticize the others for having an opinion.  It's cool that they did what they did--one less free agent to worry about, because we would have had to replace him.  2 years until age 31--that is still in his prime and he will be playing inside--he is not a RB....Personally, I thought he was a goner, but the cap room we saved we would have spent on an equal or lesser player, imo.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Perfect!

Shaq may not be (or have been) the best value, but he's been solid to very good over the years--generally good.

He's getting older, yes, so you never know, but I still think that "solid" is his floor over the next couple of years. 

Absolutely--I am not a big fan of his, but we have been spoiled with the ILB positions over the years.  If we released him, there would have been something like $11m in dead cap (I am not sure how all that works).  Then we would take the $13m we saved and spend $10-12m finding his replacement in free agency-probably nobody younger or nobody better.

Edited by MHS831

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Some of y'all make posts on the huddle to share your opinions and to hear the opinions of others.  Others of y'all make posts on the huddle to criticize the others for having an opinion.  It's cool that they did what they did--one less free agent to worry about, because we would have had to replace him.  2 years until age 31--that is still in his prime and he will be playing inside--he is not a RB....Personally, I thought he was a goner, but the cap room we saved we would have spent on an equal or lesser player, imo.

Running backs and linebackers has been the Panthers bread and butter for years. How many winning seasons again? We've finally moved on from one in that formula but we still can't seem to figure out the other. If we got a steep discount then I have no complaints. But that seems highly unlikely given Shaq's own venting about the possibility of taking a paycut.

• Pie 1

Just now, frankw said:

Running backs and linebackers has been the Panthers bread and butter for years. How many winning seasons again? We've finally moved on from one in that formula but we still can't seem to figure out the other. If we got a steep discount then I have no complaints. But that seems highly unlikely given Shaq's own venting about the possibility of taking a paycut.

that is fine--that is an opinion and you did not attack someone else for having one.   I agree, but we are still going to need a starting LB if we cut Shaq, and he seems to know the locker room and is trusted by members of the organization, for what that's worth.  I thought his contract was a bit excessive when signed, but considering the circumstances and where we are now, I get this move--I would not have been in position to have to make it, but I HATE creating dead cap and we are like second in the NFL in that category--like the player or not, dead cap cripples the team more.

By the way, I am of the mindset that you should never have a RB on a second contract---like in college, bring them in, keep them for 4 years, and when they age out, ship them out.  The reason?  At 26 the RB is in his prime.  At 27, they start declining (there is research on this).  by 30, they are usually ineffective (there are exceptions).  Few ever earn their second contract. 

• Beer 1