• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Have the Panthers played this well?

Jaxel

6 hours ago, Jaxel said:

Reports that we are looking to trade down, some say we stay, some say we want Stroud, others Young. Now even reports about Richardson. Honestly, no one has any idea what they are going to do. The last few years it feels like the Panthers plans were an open book, easy to read. But are the Panthers pulling off a legitimate smokescreen here? Or have the made a rash move an now outsmarted themselves? 

No way to know at this point

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Love Downs but I honestly think I'd rather have one of the top TE prospects at #39. I'm just concerned about his durability at the NFL level. He did t miss many games at UNC but it seemed like he was always dealing with some type of lingering limiting injury.

It would be far smarter to take the TE who slips to 39 over the second tier of WRs. You’d have to have a big slip by a top WR. Not taking a TE in what seems to be a historically talented TE draft, seems like a Panther move so hopefully we don’t do that.

Man, I wish we did that Burns deal. Grabbing a TE and. WR at 36/39 would have been a great move plus having our 2nd in 2024, the Rams 1st in 2024 and both our 1st and the Rams 1st in 2025 gave us a chance to have some serious weapons/more OL around our rookie QB going into year 3. The $45M a year cap space available from DJ and Burns gets you 3 solid starters on D.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It would be far smarter to take the TE who slips to 39 over the second tier of WRs. You’d have to have a big slip by a top WR. Not taking a TE in what seems to be a historically talented TE draft, seems like a Panther move so hopefully we don’t do that.

Man, I wish we did that Burns deal. Grabbing a TE and. WR at 36/39 would have been a great move plus having our 2nd in 2024, the Rams 1st in 2024 and both our 1st and the Rams 1st in 2025 gave us a chance to have some serious weapons/more OL around our rookie QB going into year 3. The $45M a year cap space available from DJ and Burns gets you 3 solid starters on D.

If you did the Burns deal you’re grabbing a pass rusher at 36 and 39.. I still don’t get why ppl think it’s smart to give up a 24 year old 2x pro bowl pass rusher??? Do you ppl know what positional value is??

9 minutes ago, App Panther said:

Does anyone owe Reich a favor in Indy? Would love to make it appear that we are in talks with the Colts to move down, only to make Houston squirm. They are in the same division afterall. 

I just seriously doubt it would work. I have a feeling that the hugely prevalent thought around the league is that we're taking either Stroud or Young so Amy talk of trading out of one of the two spots is just not gonna happen. You don't trade up to #1 overall and then try to get cute and end up missing out on the guy you traded up to get 

2 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

If you did the Burns deal you’re grabbing a pass rusher at 36 and 39.. I still don’t get why ppl think it’s smart to give up a 24 year old 2x pro bowl pass rusher??? Do you ppl know what positional value is??

Yep. And it’s called I can find 2 DEs for the 25+M/year Burns will want, and still spend the draft picks on other positions. Or use them to trade up and keep your own 1st round picks. 

But somehow overpaying one player is better than 5 high quality ones instead. 

Ppl need to understand that there is a unsaid rule by the NFL league office for teams to make at least a attempt to keep the 1st pick a mystery as long as they can.. To add some weird drama to the draft.. 

We knew the Bengals were going to take Burrows but they still made it theatrical up until draft night.. Remember.. Don’t believe the spin!!

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Yep. And it’s called I can find 2 DEs for the 25+M/year Burns will want, and still spend the draft picks on other positions. Or use them to trade up and keep your own 1st round picks. 

But somehow overpaying one player is better than 5 high quality ones instead. 

Yep you can try but again finding pass rushers with pro bowl skills isn’t easy.. Or the Falcons would have 1 by now.. Their last 1 was John Abraham a decade ago..

This let’s me know you don’t know what positional value is..

Simple Qb, LT, Pass Rusher don’t get moved when you have good ones..

Edited by Sub Zero
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just seriously doubt it would work. I have a feeling that the hugely prevalent thought around the league is that we're taking either Stroud or Young so Amy talk of trading out of one of the two spots is just not gonna happen. You don't trade up to #1 overall and then try to get cute and end up missing out on the guy you traded up to get 

I seriously doubt it as well.

It would only work if:

1. You are convinced you can build your franchise around either Young or Stroud. Not just Stroud. 

10 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Yep you can try but again finding pass rushers with pro bowl skills isn’t easy.. Or the Falcons would have 1 by now.. Their last 1 was John Abraham a decade ago..

This let’s me know you don’t know what positional value is..

Simple Qb, LT, Pass Rusher don’t get moved when you have good ones..

With 25-30M, it isn’t hard. See the numerous DEs signed in the past 3 years in the 15-18M range, like Reddick.  Name the Edge player who is making 20-30M that is below average against the run. Is he really supposed to be paid like a Bosa or TJ Watt. Garrett? He’s not in their class.  The positional value of not overpaying for one when you could be better with two very good DEs is the issue. 

Do better than some random team and long retired players. Burns wouldn’t even start for the Steelers. 

And that’s before we factor in pick 36 this year, a probable top 10 pick next year, and a possible one in 2025. What positional value do those three picks bring to the table? 

29 minutes ago, Toomers said:

With 25-30M, it isn’t hard. See the numerous DEs signed in the past 3 years in the 15-18M range, like Reddick.  Name the Edge player who is making 20-30M that is below average against the run. Is he really supposed to be paid like a Bosa or TJ Watt. Garrett? He’s not in their class.  The positional value of not overpaying for one when you could be better with two very good DEs is the issue. 

Do better than some random team and long retired players. Burns wouldn’t even start for the Steelers. 

And that’s before we factor in pick 36 this year, a probable top 10 pick next year, and a possible one in 2025. What positional value do those three picks bring to the table? 

Your opinion agree to disagree.. I’m not arguing with ppl who think finding double digit sack guys under 25 easy.. Enjoy your night..

47 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Your opinion agree to disagree.. I’m not arguing with ppl who think finding double digit sack guys under 25 easy.. Enjoy your night..

We can agree on that and also agree it’s not easy to acquire two firsts and a second round pick while saving over $20mil in cap space. 

What we did with those picks and the cap space would have decided the success of the trade. I honestly thought it would be Burns & #9 traded for #1 with maybe another 3rd thrown in. 

5 hours ago, Toomers said:

In a 3-4 defense Burns will not be a defensive lineman. He played in a 4-3 but his body type has always been suited more for a 3-4. Most of our defensive ends were better suited for a 3-4 (Edge rushing linebacker).

Edited by Beast_3000