• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Stroud and it shouldn't even be close

NAS

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Not really though, Lance still could be that "guy" but he never was going to be that player in his first couple years, he was always going to be a project in the same way Richardson will be, which is why they kept Jimmy G around.

Lance was never going to be the starter as a rookie, if they had been able to draft Young last year, they'd have traded Jimmy G immediately and Young would have been their week 1 starter, guaranteed.

Well odds were jimmyg was still going to be that guy, but if trey lights up there top ranked D, plans could have changed. Very low odds and he was not ready. Then got badley injuried twice, too much to overcome...

There were also  a rumor that klye wanted marc jones and the scouts wanted trey lance..... looking now like jones, lance, and wilson are not the "guys"....but like you said its still early to call this.

Young would have put much pressure on jimmyg, not a fan, but I agree with it.

On 3/13/2023 at 2:34 PM, Ivory Panther said:

I disagree. The knock on stroud is he doesn’t handle pressure well. He is good when everything is on schedule/perfect.

numbers show he was the worst against the blitz. 

Most issues with blitz pick up in college are connected to scheming. When you have long developing routes for big play potential it results in issues with the blitz. Also, every QB that doesn't have a super solid line is going to struggle against the blitz. Thirdly, he didn't look to struggle at all against the defense with the most NFL defensive talent on it in Georgia. 

On 3/13/2023 at 11:36 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

And if Young was a little bigger it would be an easy pick to go with Young. If UF receivers could catch it might be an easy pick to go with Richardson. I don't see the slam dunk #1. I hope our staff does.

Last year it was the hands. 

On 3/14/2023 at 5:34 AM, Day1PanthersFan said:

Always pick an SEC QB, they face NFL defenses just about every week in there college career 

Tell me, what Ohio State QB has had success in the NFL ?, I'll wait 

What kind of dumbass logic is this? Tell me, what Oregon QB had success in the NFL before Justin Herbert? I'll wait.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Just saw the numbers on the Brissett contract are basically identical to what we gave Dalton, same guarantee but on a 1 year deal, which is more or less what the Dalton deal is anyways, we just did 2 years to spread out the cap hit.

Makes me again think this means we're NOT taking Richardson, as any team that takes him, won't be starting him Week 1.

If we already knew we needed a Week 1 starter, that would have been Brissett over Dalton, both a better player and also familiar with Reich and his system.  Tells me that we signed Dalton purely as a backup and not a Week 1 starter.

Means the pick has to be Stroud or Young and they already know that.

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Just saw the numbers on the Brissett contract are basically identical to what we gave Dalton, same guarantee but on a 1 year deal, which is more or less what the Dalton deal is anyways, we just did 2 years to spread out the cap hit.

Makes me again think this means we're NOT taking Richardson, as any team that takes him, won't be starting him Week 1.

If we already knew we needed a Week 1 starter, that would have been Brissett over Dalton, both a better player and also familiar with Reich and his system.  Tells me that we signed Dalton purely as a backup and not a Week 1 starter.

A backup QB has nothing to do with what QB we are drafting.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

A backup QB has nothing to do with what QB we are drafting.

It absolutely does when you're drafting #1 overall, you want to sign a backup that compliments who you're going to draft in one way or another.

What that reasoning is what the staff needs to decide, but it's 100% a factor.

That person you sign has to do so with the understanding of what the plan is or else it has the chance to blow up in your face if they're not okay with their role in the end.

Are they signing with the expectation that they have a legitimate chance at starting Week 1?  Are they signing with the understanding that they're the backup for the top pick Week 1?  Are they signing with the expectation that they're going to be given the job for the full year pending injury?

13 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

B/t those 2 it has to be Stroud...Young wont last the whole season if he is starter day 1.

24 minutes ago, Castavar said:

What kind of dumbass logic is this? Tell me, what Oregon QB had success in the NFL before Justin Herbert? I'll wait.

Don't waste your time with that guy, he actually made a post asking what it would take to trade for Mahomes/Kelce yesterday. I thought it was like a hypothetical/for fun thread, but no... he was serious. Said the Panthers should at least make the call. Lol.

1 minute ago, heel31ok said:

B/t those 2 it has to be Stroud...Young wont last the whole season if he is starter day 1.

I agree on Stroud, but I don't think Young gets broken in year 1.

I just don't see how Young can have a long career at his size, the hits are going to add up and he's going to break down at some point well before you'd like your #1 pick to break down.

He'll be good for 2 or 3 years, but I think around the time he's starting that second contract, he's gonna be missing a lot of games every year.

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The main problem with Pickett is that he just wasn't very good.

Stroud should be the Panthers Pick, the majority of Panther fans and the national media would be surprised if he was not the pick. However,  It is smart not to telegraph this yet. With 40 days before the draft anything  could happen to a draft pick to diminish his value. It is not likely, but an unknown character concern could surface, an injury, auto accident, etc. 

15 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

Stroud should be the Panthers Pick, the majority of Panther fans and the national media would be surprised if he was not the pick. However,  It is smart not to telegraph this yet. With 40 days before the draft anything  could happen to a draft pick to diminish his value. It is not likely, but an unknown character concern could surface, an injury, auto accident, etc. 

I honestly don't care who the pick is as long as it's the guy that the football people want and Tepper stays out of it.