• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stroud vs Michigan Tape (QB School)

Samppson

I am thinking if he has the fastball, he has the quiver full in a way we have not seen. He has excellent touch. It will get better if he works at it. He seems aware of touch, as an element of good passing, at least. Which Cam never did until his shoulder forced it. 
The ball placement is A-1, but that is a timing thing and on the next level will need to be adjusted up. Which the fastball will allow. one big part of the game. 

He doesn’t look bad. Maybe I am looking at the wrong shiny object but I would select him if my future depended on it, out of the four or the three,     if the best player to select with the #1 pick in a player is the question. I wouldn’t have freaked over no trade and Richardson at 9 but hell no in this situation. Same for Young for that matter. Too small too risky. This guy Stroud has a fastball, he should be it. 

• Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Samppson said:

Yeah, Id agree there, I think I would be more worried about the surrounding talent, and throwing to good receivers who are open if he wasnt placing the ball so well. Even if those guys are covered, the ball would still be where it needs to be.

I think the GA game showed alot in terms of handling a pass rush, that D-Line is filled with future NFL caliber players. I really feel like theres alot of similarities between both Stroud and Herbert's last college game, they showed off that they can move good enough, not Justin Fields/Murray speed, but good enough.

Yes. We didn’t see it a lot, but the Georgia game did show that handling the pressure could be there, and if he’s coachable it may be a non issue all together. 

And I see (so far, need to watch more tape) what you mean about the ball placement. 

How much does the receiver have to adjust to the ball when open? Trey Lance? Substantial adjustment. Stroud? So far from what I’ve seen, not much adjustment. Ultra important if you want YAC which we all do. 

I liked what I’ve seen so far. 

Earlier on - before the possibility of drafting either, I was more pro-Young, but with time and just the realization of his size limitations/liabilities along with seeing how Stroud performed against a stupid-good Georgia D, I'm sold on him.

I think they can both be very good NFL QBs, but if I'm investing all that we have to get to #1 and must decide on the long-term future of my team at the most important position on the field, I'll take Stroud. I've always had a bit of a bias (justifiably so?) against OSU QBs, but I think he's got the stuff.

It's going to be fascinating to see how all these dynamics unfold leading up to and into the draft. So many factors affecting so many (desperate) teams. It's surely nice to be in the catbird seat though. Let all those hungry beggars kneel at our (temporary 😜) throne.

3 hours ago, stratocatter said:

Stroud is accurate no doubt. And has a touch I wished Cam had tried to develop because it ain’t always about the fastball. 

However Stroud doesn’t seem to have top velocity but maybe that is just me not recognizing it on streaming video. You sometimes have to have that fastball. I’d love to have a passing artist to watch. Touch, accuracy, velocity/arm strength if you need it. 

Are there measurements for his ball speed? Those NFL corners, fast.  

Yes!!

for comparison 

Big strong Anthony Richardson 

Edited by Sub Zero
  • Beer 1

His summary at the end is kind of how I feel about him, his improvisation stuff did peak out more and more as the season went on and definitely did during the Michigan game. Felt like I saw hints more toward the back part of the Season and then it just fully came out in the Georgia game. 

I have no idea if he can develop it enough to become great at it, but I would argue the signs are there. I flop between him and Young pretty constantly and it really comes down to how confident I feel he can develop that part of his game.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, stan786 said:

His summary at the end is kind of how I feel about him, his improvisation stuff did peak out more and more as the season went on and definitely did during the Michigan game. Felt like I saw hints more toward the back part of the Season and then it just fully came out in the Georgia game. 

I have no idea if he can develop it enough to become great at it, but I would argue the signs are there. I flop between him and Young pretty constantly and it really comes down to how confident I feel he can develop that part of his game.

Yeah I think Stroud is better than Young in the pocket and Young is better than Stroud when a play breaks down.  I just lean Stroud because of the size concerns.  Both look to be great choices though.  

1 hour ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

lol who said that?

Somebody here who was arguing for Young. Can't remember. You don't need to make up obvious falsehoods to bring down one guy to support your preference. They are both good qbs.

I signed up to CH just to reply to this thread. I don't see Sam Darnold throwing dimes from opposite hash between two defenders like CJ. Sam isn't even good from a clean pocket, he can't throw open his receivers, he panics when nobody is immediately open. Sam, in half of CJs bombs would throw a check-down. There is no comparison. Looking at the mechanics of AR, you cannot justify that pick when he's a year to two from playing an NFL down.

Just now, DrowsyJungle said:

I signed up to CH just to reply to this thread. I don't see Sam Darnold throwing dimes from opposite hash between two defenders like CJ. Sam isn't even good from a clean pocket, he can't throw open his receivers, he panics when nobody is immediately open. Sam, in half of CJs bombs would throw a check-down. There is no comparison. Looking at the mechanics of AR, you cannot justify that pick when he's a year to two from playing an NFL down.

Triple H Yes GIF by WWE

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

We've seen enough tape. Let's get hyped on the highlights. Fresh one from JBP

I don't really get the "wide open receivers" thing. Every time I watch Stroud tape he's hitting guys in tight windows consistently, leading guys with the ball. Haven't seen many hospital balls, just really good rhythm 

• Pie 2