• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adam Schefter: Bryce Young is believed to be favorite for #1 for the Panthers right now

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

what makes Young better? 

I would consider managing a game to mean keeping awareness of the whole field, where his guys are and where defenders are, whether downfield or in the backfield. It's using that awareness combined with skill, ability, and intuition to limit mistakes and turnovers while also pushing the ball forward efficiently and scoring points. And both are very good at it. I just think that Stroud does better without having to scramble, but, again, both do what they do really well.

You have literally described Young! Remember, processing is what's special with Bryce compared to anyone else in this draft.

Stroud is not in the same league as Bryce when it comes to what you have just described. that is exactly what Bryce does! CJ does this but at a much lower level.

I know that because Bryce gets 2 plays in and decides which to use depending on defense. that requires understanding of where ppl are in the field (teammates & defenders). 

what CJ has over Bryce is slightly bigger arm and very pretty spirals. His ball placement is ELITE. Bryce is very good but CJ is great there.

someone just posted total pressures for both.

Bryce in 2021: 226 pressures VS CJ in 2021: 111 pressures

Bryce in 2022: 144 pressures VS CJ in 2022: 99 pressures.

as far scrambling, of course Bryce scrambles because he gets more pressures.

CJ doesn't have to scramble as much playing in the BIG10 for a much superior team. Not sure how Scrambling is a knock on Bryce when he does it out of necessity because he plays against very good defenses.

20 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

this is gonna go back and fourth between Young and Stroud every week for the next 6 weeks 

And as a fanbase we should enjoy the extra media attention. Part of the perk of trading for the #1 pick this early.

Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Pie 3

27 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

It’s going to take an absolute catastrophic event to change what I am about to share with you all.

It’s Stroud. We are enamored of him. 

If that's the ultimate choice, I'll be fine with it.

I just also won't throw a massive tantrum if it turns out it isn't.

3 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

WAIT!   I know I don't keep up with College football and all but there is ANOTHER Mac Jones?

The Patriots already have one.     Another one is going to be in the NFL?  lol

Clearly making a comparison to the situation here. Bryce Young would be Mac Jones in this scenario and, I'm guessing, Anthony Richardson is Trey Lance. The only issue with Schefter's theory is that we don't have Jimmy Gorropolo, we have Andy Dalton. Though Andy Dalton was very, very successful in Cincinnati which makes me wonder how his career fell off of a cliff. 

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I could see Stroud taking hits due too his lack of mobility vs Young.  I think Stroud (at least in college) tends to get the ball out quick.  He is more prone to throw it away vs running around extending it trying to make a play.  Young has been doing more or as much with less talent at WR than Stroud, that alone may help him have more success early that Stroud will.  They are both two great options so either way I'm good.  

I could see Young taking more hits because he thinks he can escape, whereas Stroud will throw the ball away. I also wouldn't underestimate Stroud's mobility. He shows he can do it, he just didn't have a need for it. Young couldn't see over the line so he would have to move more to find lanes which people are wowed by but it isn't really indicative of anything other than the fact that he's short. 

So give me Stroud who can see over and around the line without having to scramble versus Young who HAS to scramble to even see anything. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

Remember, processing is what's special with Bryce compared to anyone else in this draft.

But how can you quantifiably say that Young is superior? It's all subjective. 

I'm not knocking Young. I think their approach to the game is just different, but both have the potential to be elite. And I haven't seen anything in Stroud's performance to lead me to believe that even with tougher competition and with less talent around him that he couldn't do just as well, in fact that is exactly what happened against GA.

I'm leaning towards Stroud, but I would be thrilled with either one and think that with either one we'd rule the NFCS right out of the gate.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

It’s going to take an absolute catastrophic event to change what I am about to share with you all.

It’s Stroud. We are enamored of him. 

Is this from a source or your opinion?  Either way it sounds like good news to me!

6 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Young couldn't see over the line so he would have to move more to find lanes which people are wowed by but it isn't really indicative of anything other than the fact that he's short. 

So you are telling me 5'10 can't see over 6'5 line but 6'3 can see over 6'5? Technically, neither of them can.

It's funny how people think that QBs can see over the line. 

I'm 6'3 and I can assure you that I can't see over ppl who are 6'3 let alone taller. 

Andy Reid once said & I'm paraphrasing... "QBs don't look over building to throw the ball, they look between the buildings to throw the ball".

The "can't see over the line" thing is very overrated!

Bryce scrambles when he has to, due to pressure & not because he can't see over the line.