• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers Glorious WR History

Seltzer

I know WR is currently a massive question mark with the loss of DJ.  Hell, everyone should, and the national media is all over it.

Having said that, I didn't start being a Panthers fan overnight, so I'm well attuned to our "glorious" tradition at WR.  Look at these lists from 2010- Present.  This list doesn't include WR's that went on IR during the corresponding season, but it gives you a flavor for what we have had to work with over the years.

This current group heading into 2023 is obviously not great as presently constructed, but it's not going to take much to at least bring it in line with many of the other WR groups we've had over the past 13 years.  

And most importantly, I think there is an actual strategic plan to continue to build around Stroud/Young after this season.  So undoubtedly, our WR corp is probably not going to set the world on fire in 2023, but if we're honest, for the most part over the past 13 seasons, it's not like we had a bunch of elite receivers besides an aging Smitty and Greg Olsen who wasn't even a WR.

I think if we sign a couple of guys in FA and draft a WR, we will easily be on par with many of these groups.  Anyway, was interesting to look back and gain some perspective.

I think this team with a solid Oline and run game combined with a good offensive scheme is going to be just fine, especially in the NFC South this year.

2010   2015   2020
87 David Clowney   11 Brenton Bersin   11 Robby Anderson
10 Armanti Edwards   10 Corey Brown   14 Pharoh Cooper
12 David Gettis   82 Jerricho Cotchery   12 D. J. Moore
11 Brandon LaFell   17 Devin Funchess   10 Curtis Samuel
89 Steve Smith   19 Ted Ginn Jr.   16 Brandon Zylstra
    81 Kevin Norwood    
2011       2021
86 Darvin Adams   2016   11 Robby Anderson
19 Seyi Ajirotutu   13 Kelvin Benjamin   13 Alex Erickson
14 Armanti Edwards PR   11 Brenton Bersin    2 D. J. Moore
11 Brandon LaFell   10 Corey Brown   16 Brandon Zylstra
81 Kealoha Pilares KR   17 Devin Funchess    
89 Steve Smith (C)   19 Ted Ginn Jr.   2022
        17 Rashard Higgins
2012   2017   88 Terrace Marshall Jr.
15 Joe Adams   11 Brenton Bersin    2 D. J. Moore
14 Armanti Edwards   12 Kaelin Clay   18 Andre Roberts
12 David Gettis   14 Mose Frazier   15 Laviska Shenault
11 Brandon LaFell   17 Devin Funchess   12 Shi Smith
83 Louis Murphy   19 Russell Shepard    
89 Steve Smith       2023
    2018   Terrace Marshall, Jr.
2013   14 Mose Frazier   Shi Smith
19 Ted Ginn Jr.   17 Devin Funchess   Laviska Shenault
87 Domenik Hixon   12 D. J. Moore   ???
12 Tavarres King   10 Curtis Samuel   ???
11 Brandon LaFell   11 Torrey Smith   ???
15 Marvin McNutt        
89 Steve Smith   2019    
    15 Chris Hogan    
2014   12 D. J. Moore    
13 Kelvin Benjamin   10 Curtis Samuel    
11 Brenton Bersin PR   18 DeAndrew White    
16 Philly Brown   13 Jarius Wright    
82 Jerricho Cotchery   11 Brandon Zylstra    

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

It was straight malfeasance to make Cam work with that

pretty sure that was the year every receiver and their mother got hurt for us... Players who were on that roster:

1. Curtis Samuel
2. KB
3. D Funchess
4. Russell Sheopard
5. Dameire Byrd

WR was a position of strength heading into the season... so I dont think we can call it malfeasance 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Pretty unbelievable that we've really only drafted and developed three legit starting NFL WRrs in Smitty, Moose, and DJ in 30 years. We average one a decade.

I'm certainly hopeful it gets better with our offensive-minded coaching staff.

God knows it couldn't be much worse.

For all the success thus franchise has had in terms of drafting and developing LBers, our history with WRs has been as bad as any team in the league.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I'm certainly hopeful it gets better with our offensive-minded coaching staff.

God knows it couldn't be much worse.

For all the success thus franchise has had in terms of drafting and developing LBers, our history with WRs has been as bad as any team in the league.

Yep. A big part of it is that we've always had a defensive focused coaching staff. 

I have shared my position on Smitty being a bad teammate--how he abused Dwayne Jarrett at OTAs, etc.  Some players make those around them better, some make them worse.  If you have played competitive sports beyond high school, you probably see how this can happen.

Bold Statement:  I think one of our PS WRs will emerge this season.  Derek Wright is my prediction to become a part of the WR team.

Last year, in limited preseason action, he was targeted 7 times and caught 5 passes.  He had 84 yards and averaged nearly 17 yards per catch.  He has excellent hands, ran a 4.55 40 in college, and is 6' 1" and just under 200 lbs.  As the fifth or sixth WR, I can see him having a good camp and preseason--and with the opportunities at WR on this roster, he could stick.

Edited by MHS831

This is nonsense trying to frame it like we've had garbage WR. Brandon LaFell, Devin Funchess, and Kelvin Benjamin were all productive in fits and starts. They weren't 1,000 yard guys, but they were what they were. Any group that has Steve Smith has a HOF WR among them. Any group that has DJ Moore has a really solid number one. Curtis Samuel was a decent contributor. WR is one of the most storied positions on this team. We have had the good fortune to see perhaps 2 of the Top 50 of all time in Moose and Smith. Moore will have good numbers when all is said and done. 

Plus, the years we had CMC and he was getting lots of catches, he was practically a WR as well. Ted Ginn had some strong years for us, too. Jerricho Cotchery produced well for where he was on the depth chart. It's just that hardly anyone remembers their productivity because it didn't last ten years. Funchess, KB, and LaFell all had good rookie contracts here and got paid more than they should have on the market.