• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best NC City

BrisbanePanther

Best Carolinas city  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best city in the Carolinas and why?

• Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Greensboro
    • Winston
    • Greenville
    • Charleston
    • Columbia
    • Other

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

I get it.

Wilmington is different, that's for sure.  You have to slow down, you have to realize folks don't work on Fridays, certainly not the weekends.

9 months out of the year I can jump in my truck and be at my boat in less than 10 minutes, head out to go catch Flounder, Trout, or Red Drum, back at the house before my son is finishing breakfast.  Pack the fam and the dog up, and head out  for a day of cruising, sand bar hopping, or fishing.

Head home after and eat fresh fish.

Run down to Southport on the boat for lunch?  Sure!

Mayfaire and fantastic restaurants are 5 minutes from my house and if you want, you can head downtown to catch most any band...river front.

I get it, if you visit Wilmington...may not look like much, but if you live the coastal life, it's an Awesome place to raise a family.

I always tell people that it's weird, but the air feels better from Pender County down. Something about the region is just great. My skin feels better, I'm generally happier. Great area. If my wife ever does get the wild hair to move, it's down there for me. Says a lot when I know people who came, lived there, moved on to other opportunities across the state...and they all find themselves coming back to settle somewhere in the Wilmington area.

• Pie 1

On 3/23/2023 at 1:16 PM, Floppin said:

I'm really considering liquidating everything that I have and going on all in on this property.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12-Lakeview-Dr-Butler-TN-37640/2059763147_zpid/

Sweet looking place. The listing said it was a developer's dream. If I bought a place like that, I'd never develop it. The whole point to me would be to have a lot of pretty land and views away from other people.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, lightsout said:

I always tell people that it's weird, but the air feels better from Pender County down. Something about the region is just great. My skin feels better, I'm generally happier. Great area. If my wife ever does get the wild hair to move, it's down there for me. Says a lot when I know people who came, lived there, moved on to other opportunities across the state...and they all find themselves coming back to settle somewhere in the Wilmington area.

Nah, not weird at all salt air is a very real thing...makes others nuts sometimes though.  I rarely take a shower after jumping in the water in the afternoons and evenings, love sleeping that way...reminds me of my childhood.

I deal with semi retirees and retirees almost solely in my business, rarely any families....I hear that all the time.  Why are you coming to Wilmington/Cape Fear? 

Common answers: Was stationed in J Ville when we were young, loved the area (not JAX).  Daughter went to UNCW, never could leave, we couldn't wait to follow her after our first visit to see her at school.  Lived there before I had to relocate to RDU/CLT.

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I get it.

Wilmington is different, that's for sure.  You have to slow down, you have to realize folks don't work on Fridays, certainly not the weekends.

9 months out of the year I can jump in my truck and be at my boat in less than 10 minutes, head out to go catch Flounder, Trout, or Red Drum, back at the house before my son is finishing breakfast.  Pack the fam and the dog up, and head out  for a day of cruising, sand bar hopping, or fishing.

Head home after and eat fresh fish.

Run down to Southport on the boat for lunch?  Sure!

Mayfaire and fantastic restaurants are 5 minutes from my house and if you want, you can head downtown to catch most any band...river front.

I get it, if you visit Wilmington...may not look like much, but if you live the coastal life, it's an Awesome place to raise a family.

I lived in Brunswick county and Wilmington for almost 15 years. It was time for me to get the fug out. I might move back someday but I doubt it. I definitely had fun, but after all that time I realized that I don't really like the beach at all.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Floppin said:

I lived in Brunswick county and Wilmington for almost 15 years. It was time for me to get the fug out. I might move back someday but I doubt it. I definitely had fun, but after all that time I realized that I don't really like the beach at all.

Yeah, I'm a mountain guy through and through. I like the beach. In spurts. After 3-4 days though I'm ready to head for the hills again.

17 hours ago, Floppin said:

I go to the beach twice a year, New Years Day for Polar Plunge, and usually get dragged out there one other time for friends and family.

I spend my time on the Intracoastal, and on the islands between Wrightsville and Topsail.  Make overnight runs up to Morehead and stay the night up there occasionally.

This is one of my rare Saturdays I'm having to work, otherwise, we would be on the boat this afternoon.

• Pie 1

We generally go SC for the beach. We generally do two a year. We'll do an Edisto trip so that we can do a day trip to Charleston. My wife went to CofC and we lived on Queen Street so it's nice to go back to the old stomping grounds. Then we'll do a trip down to Hunting Island which is definitely my favorite. It's just one island south of Edisto and just a few nautical miles away but they're not close if you're driving.

• Pie 1

I selected other. I have lived  in Gastonia N.C. the past 14 years after moving from Charlotte N.C, the city I lived and worked in most of my life.

I really like Gastonia because it is like a hub to all the small towns that encircle it, making  it feel like you have gone back in time.

Edited by KatsAzz

On 3/22/2023 at 9:16 PM, BrisbanePanther said:

Figured that I would place this here since a Stroud thread is basically turned into a Charlotte vs Raleigh discussion. My vote is for Charlotte and it's not even close...then again I prefer bigger cities.

If you going to start a thread about it at least pay homage to the guy who actually started the debate...

Who Me GIFs | Tenor

• Pie 1