• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just for the sake of discussion, is there a correlation between size and injury?

rayzor

21 hours ago, ECHornet said:

It gets old and annoying to see the goal posts shift so much. I wish Stroud fans would just admit they like him more and move along.

Dude. All you do is slink around here and shield that man and poo posts. I really haven't seen any pro Stroud posters acting like the BY extremists.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Dude. All you do is slink around here and shield that man and poo posts. I really haven't seen any pro Stroud posters acting like the BY extremists.

Yeah it’s usually “I prefer Stroud due to the size concerns” vs Young will be hurt less because of his size, he is the next Curry, Bruce Lee, Brees, Mahomes, and his Alabama team was terrible so he carried them. He is basically flawless. 
I like both and prefer Stroud while admitting BOTH have weaknesses. The Bama fanboys make it seem like I am anti-Young. I just think some of them have crazy takes.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Watched highlights of Young’s worst game last year vs LSU and that game pretty much has everything I worry about drafting him. 
His height definitely affected his vision that entire game. 
That interception in the end zone was horrendous. 
Guy needs to learn to slide. 
Had several passes that if it was the NFL would have been easy INTs. 
Didn’t read an obvious blitz coming off the edge and almost got blown up. 
Young is gonna have these games in the NFL, most likely his rookie season, but the LSU game was a showcase of the things I worry about him. 

1 hour ago, frankw said:

You are exactly what you describe. 

I poo posts I don’t agree with and pie even more posts that I like. We don’t agree much on this topic. You will rarely see me say something negative about Stroud to boost up Young, bc I do like Stroud. Can’t say the same for you about Young. 

On 3/27/2023 at 8:59 AM, ladypanther said:

Too many variables to be able to draw any conclusions from that article but it is a good question.  Would be nice to be able to focus in on QB's alone.

With Young, we are penalizing him because he might get hurt.  We did not do that with Cam, who had an 8-year career (do not count the last 3 years--they were bad).

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

With Young, we are penalizing him because he might get hurt.  We did not do that with Cam, who had an 8-year career (do not count the last 3 years--they were bad).

I blame Cam's short career on our staff.  Never getting him a LT and running him too much.  I don't think a player Young's size even makes it through that Super Bowl game with Denver sending head missiles at the QB....

• Beer 1

On 3/27/2023 at 9:06 AM, ForJimmy said:

I will say this too.  He seems very good at taking hits as funny as that sounds.  I noticed he really kind of gives himself up and kind of absorbs the hit.  Those type of hits are usually pretty mild.  Someone on here compared it to drunk drivers rarely getting as injured because their bodies are relaxes the whole time.  I also think his size is going to limit some of our play calling, but if he excels at what he does I am not sure that matters as much.  

You bring up a good point, if a Qb knows to give himself up and slide down compared to keep running and take a hit then that Qb isn’t going to be a lot safer. The fact Young already has this instinct is a good thing. Look at Cam who always had the instinct to keep running instead of slide and avoid the hit. Some things you can’t teach. The NFL loves protecting QBs and as long as Young knows how to avoid hits then his size won’t be as big of an issue as many think.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, rmoneyg35 said:

You bring up a good point, if a Qb knows to give himself up and slide down compared to keep running and take a hit then that Qb isn’t going to be a lot safer. The fact Young already has this instinct is a good thing. Look at Cam who always had the instinct to keep running instead of slide and avoid the hit. Some things you can’t teach. The NFL loves protecting QBs and as long as Young knows how to avoid hits then his size won’t be as big of an issue as many think.

If Young is good plus his size the NFL will absolutely penalize anyone that touches him (of course if it is a playoff game the other team may think the penalty is worth it).  My biggest concern with Young is how his HEIGHT will limit our offense to a degree.  At pick 1 I am not sure you accept that when there is another option almost as good who won't have those limitations.  

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I said elsewhere there's a great story to be written with a team that has Sam Mills as a big part of their history taking an undersized quarterback.

That said, thinking that he might be less durable because of his frame is unfortunately a rational idea.

It's kind of like when something is broken around the house and you assume your kids did it. You might feel bad for thinking that way sometimes, but you still think that way, and most of the time you're right 😕

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

You are exactly what you describe. 

I poo posts I don’t agree with and pie even more posts that I like. We don’t agree much on this topic. You will rarely see me say something negative about Stroud to boost up Young, bc I do like Stroud. Can’t say the same for you about Young. 

I think I've poo'd maybe two posts in the last several months. It has to be very egregious. Hell I've seen more fly over Bryce Young in the last few weeks alone than I have in at least a year for any other discussion. Yet apparently there are no Alabama fans here right? I'm not clinging to propping up Stroud by linking him to anyone and everyone who was ever great in their sport and comparable size. I know his question marks. I know Bryce's too. I doubt either are going to have a record breaking rookie season out of the gate. I'm far more realistic than the folks who think one or the other can walk on water. It's going to take time and patience. Even with a staff such as this. Some QB's take longer some are showing those traits out of the gate. We won't know until we get them in camp.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I said elsewhere there's a great story to be written with a team that has Sam Mills as a big part of their history taking an undersized quarterback.

That said, thinking that he might be less durable because of his frame is unfortunately a rational idea.

It's kind of like when something is broken around the house and you assume your kids did it. You might feel bad for thinking that way sometimes, but you still think that way, and most of the time you're right 😕

I like and can see where you’re coming from with that metaphor, but I’ll counter with another. 

Bryce is like a first child learning to walk. It feels like you had to protect them from everything and hold your breath in close calls. Sure, they took some hard falls and maybe there was an occasional injury, but in the end they weren’t as fragile as it seemed. Young people are built to withstand a lot, and Bryce is a 21 yo athlete with more lean muscle mass than 44 yo Tom Brady who went through NFL seasons fine.