• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer's latest: Two QB tiers

Mr. Scot

56 minutes ago, Carolina Disaster said:

He definitely is no Vick but he is a better athlete than he gets credit for.  He wasn't asked to run at OSU.  He didn't need to until the Georgia game.  He isn't going to blow the doors off like Vick, Lamar, etc but he is able to extend plays when needed.  

Honestly that's what I prefer. A QB with too great raw athleticism can be prone to rely on those abilities too quickly when plays go south whereas a guy with adequate athletic traits but excellent QB skills is more likely to scramble/run when it's the best play or absolutely necessary.

• Pie 2

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Don't get me wrong. I think he has a good NFL arm, I just don't think he's in that Allen/Mahomes/Herbert leauge. I think he's more like Derek Carr-ish in the arm department which still means borderline top 10 type arm. More than enough.

It's basically Brady's NFL arm after he went through an NFL S&C programme. 

He can hit any throw on any level with excellent accuracy, but the ball doesn't explode out of his hand like it does Mahomes / Herbert et al. 

1 hour ago, Wolfcop said:

“Young’s performance was as good as it gets"  

Not at the pro day it wasn't. I know that's not what you base your decision on, but he missed on deep balls several times. Stroud missed a few as well, but his pro day was more impressive. 

They both did exactly what they needed to do. Neither stock was hurt by their pro days. It did nothing but help them.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

The combine doesn't tell the whole story obviously but it can be a piece of the puzzle. It would be nice to at least have some of this information to reference for the other quarterback we are heavily considering for the first pick. But Bryce didn't throw at the combine and didn't even weigh in at his own proday. Didn't he go 1-5 throwing deep last week?

40 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They both did exactly what they needed to do. Neither stock was hurt by their pro days. It did nothing but help them.

Young had an excellent pro day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/bryce-young-pro-day-live-updates-highlights-alabama/yikuafcoocjtbqtcc6cdywrn

Yes, he had a misfire or two deep off platform. He had a great day though.

"Young's workout was impressive, as he showed off his best trait, pinpoint accuracy, early and often. He frequently hit his receivers perfectly in stride and almost always delivered the receiver a catchable ball in the right location.

Was Young's pro day a dynamic one? Not exactly, but it did showcase that he is a polished, accurate passer who can make all the throws needed to become an NFL starter."

Stroud had a nice day as well, but it wasn't necessarily better than Young's. Don't get drawn into media-driven narratives.

https://theathletic.com/4337349/2023/03/22/cj-stroud-pro-day/

He showed off his arm strength, accuracy and mobility by completing 44 of 51 passes — and three of his incompletions were dropped passes."

"The only downside to Stroud on the run was missing four throws rolling and throwing to his left."

"The rest of Stroud’s day was nearly perfect. His deep ball was accurate and showed off a good touch. His best throw, also his last, was a perfect go route to wide receiver Jayden Ballard after evading pressure and stepping up."

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Young had an excellent pro day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/bryce-young-pro-day-live-updates-highlights-alabama/yikuafcoocjtbqtcc6cdywrn

Yes, he had a misfire or two deep off platform. He had a great day though.

"Young's workout was impressive, as he showed off his best trait, pinpoint accuracy, early and often. He frequently hit his receivers perfectly in stride and almost always delivered the receiver a catchable ball in the right location.

Was Young's pro day a dynamic one? Not exactly, but it did showcase that he is a polished, accurate passer who can make all the throws needed to become an NFL starter."

Stroud had a nice day as well, but it wasn't necessarily better than Young's. Don't get drawn into media-driven narratives.

https://theathletic.com/4337349/2023/03/22/cj-stroud-pro-day/

He showed off his arm strength, accuracy and mobility by completing 44 of 51 passes — and three of his incompletions were dropped passes."

"The only downside to Stroud on the run was missing four throws rolling and throwing to his left."

"The rest of Stroud’s day was nearly perfect. His deep ball was accurate and showed off a good touch. His best throw, also his last, was a perfect go route to wide receiver Jayden Ballard after evading pressure and stepping up."

I didn’t get caught up in a narrative. I saw both pro days myself. Stroud’s was better (understanding that is a small piece to the equation). 

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

True I just think Strouds throwing motion is so effortless his power is overlooked when watching normal game tape. That's a huge advantage when throwing in the pocket with pressure in your face

This is an excellent point. Stroud’s arm strength surprised me because it looks like he isn’t throwing hard. His motion is smooth. 

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

This is an excellent point. Stroud’s arm strength surprised me because it looks like he isn’t throwing hard. His motion is smooth. 

Yeah you really gotta open up a couple tabs and put these combines/pro days back to back to really appreciate it. Some guys throw hard so it looks more exciting but that thing is jumping off Strouds hand almost like he has a sling shot in his palm

15 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

I didn’t get caught up in a narrative. I saw both pro days myself. Stroud’s was better (understanding that is a small piece to the equation). 

When you asked about him missing passes, I assumed yoh didn't see them. My bad. I saw them too, and Stroud's may have been more dynamic (but he had more to prove), but I'd be hard pressed to say that it was "better." Young is a machine, and really displayed as much pretty effortlessly.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There is a certain physical element to that debate, but it's not about athleticism. It's about durability.

Young is as good a quarterback as I've seen in a long time. Stroud has the intelligence, accuracy and processing ability that I look for too, though.

The difference id I don't feel like I'd be holding my breath every time Stroud took a hit.

Did you invert the names on accident here? You'd be holding your breath every time Stroud (the bigger one) took a hit?