• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Young VS Stroud, the greatest Panthers debate ever?

GOAT

It's going to end up being one of four scenarios (this is assuming it's only a discussion between BY and CJ):

1) We couldn't lose. (both are great franchise qbs)

2) We couldn't win. (both bust)

3) What a huge mistake. We took the wrong guy and paid a ton for the privilege in the process.

4) We nailed it and dodged a huge bullet with our choice. Praise be!

Two of the four are perfectly acceptable. The other two are varying degrees of torture. Personally, and against most all historical trends, I think option 1 is going to be the result. But again, history would most certainly like a word with me. I want CJ, but I think we're going to be ok either way.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It actually makes me nervous because historically, whenever the Panthers have had a choice between two players they've tended to take the wrong one (Kerry Collins over Steve McNair, Tshimanga Biakabutuka over Eddie George, etc)

Of course, those were different Panthers organizations so I'm hoping this new version gets it right.

Not only were they two different organizations, they were our very first two drafts in franchise history...almost 30 years ago.  That would be quite a silly thing to be worried about with respect to the present day Panthers.

2 hours ago, NAS said:

DJ Moore over Calvin Ridley?

CMC over Fournette?

I dont remember DJ over Ridley being a big deal. We picked low in that draft so you pick what falls to you. I think most people were happy with the DJ pick.

The Fournette and CMC draft we all wanted a RB or the TE that year but Fournette was the clear favorite here... because we all wanted to relive the Stewart days. CMC and Bryce Young both have similar vibes to the conversation. He's too small, he's not typical (white RB/small frame for a QB), yada yada. But thats why we all freaked out at CMC's workout photo's cause we could see him getting bigger as year 1 he went down at first contact a lot.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, GOAT said:

This has got to be the biggest debate, decision, discussion we've ever had in Panthers history.

Cam was a shoe in, Peppers was a shoe in at #1. 

Cam was not a shoe in. 

There were 3 groups of people in that draft 

Group #1: Jimmy Classen should be given more time cause of him being a top HS recruit - he just needs more help around him. 

Group #2: Cam Newton fans

Group #3: Locker/Gabbert fans. This was a larger contingent that you would think. Both these guys were better passers and more of the traditional QB profile. 

Cam was never a shoe in. 

• Pie 1

Now on to a small tangent on Cam vs AR15....

People love to compare them but honestly Cam coming out was in a very different situation. Cam DOMINATED at every level. I dont think he lost a game. He came into the draft as an unrefined passer but that was ok cause he dominated at every level. AR15 is not NEARLY at that level. His only similarity is simply his size and athletic profile. 

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Cam was not a shoe in. 

Group #1: Jimmy Classen should be given more time cause of him being a top HS recruit - he just needs more help around him. 

Group #3: Locker/Gabbert fans. This was a larger contingent that you would think. Both these guys were better passers and more of the traditional QB profile. 

Cam was never a shoe in. 

I also remember a ton of Patrick Peterson fans

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CanadianCat said:

Cam was not a shoe in. 

Cam was never a shoe in. 

Marcell Dareus was another popular option.

1 hour ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

It's going to end up being one of four scenarios (this is assuming it's only a discussion between BY and CJ):

1) We couldn't lose. (both are great franchise qbs)

2) We couldn't win. (both bust)

3) What a huge mistake. We took the wrong guy and paid a ton for the privilege in the process.

4) We nailed it and dodged a huge bullet with our choice. Praise be!

Two of the four are perfectly acceptable. The other two are varying degrees of torture. Personally, and against most all historical trends, I think option 1 is going to be the result. But again, history would most certainly like a word with me. I want CJ, but I think we're going to be ok either way.

#3 would just be brutal.

• Beer 1