• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brains vs Brawn

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's a fine line between confident and cocky and you gotta tightrope it to be an elite NFL QB. With some of these guys though, it's very obvious to me they're well into the cocky territory and I just don't trust those guys to put in the work it will take. You gotta still retain that realization that no matter how talented you are you're gonna have to work your ass off to be an elite QB in the NFL.

That's true in other areas as well, and something I learned the hard way 😄

I skated through high school. High school was easy. When I got to college and realized I'd actually have to put in some work, it was...an adjustment.

Lots of NFL careers rise or fall on whether or not players can make that same adjustment.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can Dorsey handle it though?

It's like I said about habits. If a game is going bad I feel like Dorsey could be a lot like Rivera on that front.

Oh, I think when things are going badly you're always going to default to using every last ounce of your stud's capabilities. You just have to pick your shots.

You MUST have the processing capacity, both in terms of comprehension as well as speed of diagnosis. You cannot play the position otherwise. And you must also have the tools to get the ball there on time. But average tools can still earn the grade, while average mental capacity will likely see you as a bench player, at best -more likely not in the league. So, it's a mix surely, but strongly tilted to the cerebral side in my view.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, I think when things are going badly you're always going to default to using every last ounce of your stud's capabilities. You just have to pick your shots.

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

And hopefully don't build an offense around taking those shots 90% of the time for the next 7 years. 

Yeah 😖

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I skated through high school. High school was easy. When I got to college and realized I'd actually have to put in some work, it was...an adjustment.

Lots of NFL careers rise or fall on whether or not players can make that same adjustment.

I honestly never felt challenged in school. Just bored me to tears. I hated it. I'm here to check this box and get this paper and have a wicked good time outside the classroom in the process. I didn't even go to my college graduation. Fug that formality bullshit. Here's my address. Mail it. 😄

I regret that one though. Not for myself. I hate formal bullshit like graduations. But I was the first person in my family to go to college and it would've meant a lot for them I just selfishly wasn't having it.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Heh same. Skated through high school getting all As. Got to college and didn’t know how to study or apply myself. Resulted in a 20 year career in the military lol. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

JaMarcus Russell is just about the best example of having the physical tools but none of the mental ones. Dude could throw the ball a mile but had zero drive to be any good. 

One of a million characteristics you have to look at...

I have always loved football, but there are times when I realize I'm glad I don't work in it, at least not as a decision maker.

By the end of an offseason cycle like this, I'd have no hair, no nails, huge bags under my eyes and would likely weigh about 400 pounds 😣

IQ is more important, but you need to pair that with a good enough arm to be able to challenge a defense vertically. If you have a weak arm it doesn’t matter how smart you are.

All the best QBs currently have very good arms to pair with their smarts. 

Edited by Martin

I am settling this now. Take Young because of his football IQ and game tape and do not worry about his size. The GOAT of WRs Steve Smith, played at 197 pounds.  Look at the hits he took across the middle and didn’t flinch. 

Young is smart and knows where the pressure is coming and can get the ball out quick. The best under pressure in college football the past two seasons. He knows how to evade and avoid big hits. 

Stroud is 6’3 and 218 on a good day. He is not a bulky QB and when comparing his frame to Young there is not much difference. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

One of a million characteristics you have to look at...

I have always loved football, but there are times when I realize I'm glad I don't work in it, at least not as a decision maker.

By the end of an offseason cycle like this, I'd have no hair, no nails, huge bags under my eyes and would likely weigh about 400 pounds 😣

I'd love to work in football, but not with QBs. I played LT and LG so I love anything to do with Oline play. I call it fat guy ballet. First place I look when looking at any oline guy is how they work their feet. Everything stems from balance. I admit I didn't think BC could move inside to guard because of his footwork. He never looked comfortable in his rookie year on the inside. Of course I also didn't know Rhule was trying to get him to play T,G and C which are all different in their first steps and approach to engaging. It's also why when watching Greg Little's combine I knew he was in trouble. That was some of the sloppiest poo I've seen.