• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

According to the chart, you are looking at one of the least injured positions in football.  Take a smallish QB with a quick processor (to me) is less dangerous than a big QB who processes more slowly and dances around in the pocket trying to extend plays or running out of the pocket. 

I used to cringe when I saw Cam take his drop, plant his back foot, and then hold the ball.  That, and running the ball like Bronco Nagurski ended Cam's career, and he was 6-5, 245.  Found a pic of Bronco so people not named Scot will understand the humor.

The Life And Career Of Bronko Nagurski (Complete Story)

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

It’s just facts that defensive players will come unblocked at the NFL level.

I fear that Bryce Youngs slight frame will not be able to take hits from 300+lb, free rushers, it is just physics. He’s so slim his collarbone and ribs are at risk every time he takes a hit, especially if he gets driven into the ground.

And if you don’t think teams will happily eat a 15 yard penalty to knock him out for a game/season you should read into bounty gate more.

It’s not like there is a 0% chance he has a healthy career, but I don’t want the Panthers be the team to risk it. There are good reasons his size is unprecedented in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

According to the chart, you are looking at one of the least injured positions in football.  Take a smallish QB with a quick processor (to me) is less dangerous than a big QB who processes more slowly and dances around in the pocket trying to extend plays or running out of the pocket. 

I used to cringe when I saw Cam take his drop, plant his back foot, and then hold the ball.  That, and running the ball like Bronco Nagurski ended Cam's career, and he was 6-5, 245.  Found a pic of Bronco so people not named Scot will understand the humor.

The Life And Career Of Bronko Nagurski (Complete Story)

I think Levis is much more likely to be seriously injured than Young. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

A reason for what? If you're looking for one...I'm sure you can make it into a bigger deal than it actually is, but aside from that it's just a waste of time to project injury on a player without an injury history, especially when you aren't doing it for anyone else.

If you don't like a player or just prefer another one, fine, but just admit it. You don't have to grasp at straws saying "he's small so he's more likely to get hurt than someone 2 inches taller" because history and statistics just don't bear that out.

It's not just me.  Our head coach even acknowledged it

Instincts, feeling pressure, having an internal clock is something you cannot measure. Size does not matter….limiting contact escaping pressures quick release it much more important. I see people compare young to Tua which I can see, but he has an injury history and his size does not tell his ability to sense/feel/escape pressure. Cam Newton is a perfect example of an all time QB size wise and he’s out of the league currently because of the hits he has taken. Tom Brady was tall but not big bulk wise by any means, he’s also always been a statue in the pocket and played well into his 40’s

32 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If this was truly the case then why is everyone (coaches, scouts, execs, analysts etc) making a huge deal out of his size? 

Whether they are making a "huge" deal out of his size is subjective and debatable. Obviously some are and some aren't. It's certainly not "everyone." Young is still slotted as the first pick on many boards. Indeed, he's picked up steam in Vegas and is now equal in the books.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

I fear that Bryce Youngs slight frame will not be able to take hits from 300+lb, free rushers, it is just physics. He’s so slim his collarbone and ribs are at risk every time he takes a hit, especially if he gets driven into the ground.

And if you don’t think teams will happily eat a 15 yard penalty to knock him out for a game/season you should read into bounty gate more.

It’s not like there is a 0% chance he has a healthy career, but I don’t want the Panthers be the team to risk it. There are good reasons his size is unprecedented in the NFL.

You don't think that bias towards taller "prototypical build" QBs isn't a reason?

Smaller statured QBs than the prototype big QB have not shown to be any more likely to be injured than their prototypical counterparts. That's just straight facts. 

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

That he's more prone to injury because he's smaller?

Panthers coach Frank Reich, whose team owns the No. 1 overall pick, said durability is more of a consideration with Young than concerns that his short stature might lead to issues with batted passes. “The best ability is availability,” Reich said Tuesday during the NFC coaches breakfast at the NFL owners 'meeting.

19 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

that's a legit fear!

however, Bryce has already demonstrated in college that he can take these hits from 300+pounds athletes running free. He did it against TEN for example. 

Does that mean he can continuously take them? I don't know...

But if the fear is that he can't even withstand 1 hit, that experiment has already been done more than once & he passed.

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Whether they are making a "huge" deal out of his size is subjective and debatable. Obviously some are and some aren't. It's certainly not "everyone." Young is still slotted as the first pick on many boards. Indeed, he's picked up steam in Vegas and is now equal in the books.

Who isn't making that argument?

• Beer 1