• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which Top QB better fits the new OC play calling style..

4 minutes ago, Martin said:

Awesome drive. But I couldn’t stop thinking that they only scored 3 points before this drive against Auburn?

Yeah and Auburn so was bad their HC got fired. I believe that final drive has a clear intentional grounding by Young that got ignored as well…

Not his best game, but at the end of the day he did what was needed to win the game. Iron Bowls can be tough at any time.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

End of the day I'm hoping for a Lombardi party like we all should...I'm just saying one isn't head and shoulders above the other..well literally one is but you get it

Bryce Young very much is. For CJ Stroud to overtake Bryce Young, he would have had to play every game of the season like he did vs UGA. Before the UGA game, you saw Jared Goff ceiling comparisons for Stroud. (Some analysts stand by those even now)

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, Julio said:

Bryce Young very much is. For CJ Stroud to overtake Bryce Young, he would have had to play every game of the season like he did vs UGA. Before the UGA game, you saw Jared Goff ceiling comparisons for Stroud. (Some analysts stand by those even now)

To say that Young is head and shoulders (no pun intended) better that Stroud is a statement very few, if any, analysts agree with. I have to respectfully disagree on this one.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

48 minutes ago, Julio said:

IMO This discussion comes down to what you value between tangible & intangible traits.

If u look at Tangible traits, they are close but most would give CJ a slight edge: 

size

arm strength

Accuracy

If you look at intangible traits, Bryce has the slight edge.

Processing before & after the play

play under pressure

clutch in big moments 

Personally I have been on Bryce since day 1 because I believe intangibles is what separates great QBs from average ones.

But I understand that some ppl feel like the intangible stuff can be learned while some of the tangible can’t!

I don’t agree with it, but If that’s your take, I understand 100% why CJ makes more sense.

Edited by Ivory Panther
  • Pie 5
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Beast_3000 said:

My only concern now is his ability to play under center effectively. For a number 1 pick you have to be effective in different pro sets. 

Shotgun 95% of the time makes our offense less effective. I guess we will see. 

Agreed. The lack of snaps under center, the time to throw, and the drop back depth really turn me off. Our offensive line is built for the run game and I’d like to stay that way, but I’m not sure how possible that is with Young. I understand he was great at throwing over the middle in college, but could it have been due to variables that are harder to replicate in the NFL (time to throw, drop back depth, etc.)?

I don’t really like the dink and dunk offenses and I feel like that’s what we’ll be limited to with Bryce. For those who are okay with that kind of offense, I can see why Bryce would be the guy.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CamTheMan said:

Agreed. The lack of snaps under center, the time to throw, and the drop back depth really turn me off. Our offensive line is built for the run game and I’d like to stay that way, but I’m not sure how possible that is with Young. I understand he was great at throwing over the middle in college, but could it have been due to variables that are harder to replicate in the NFL (time to throw, drop back depth, etc.)?

I don’t really like the dink and dunk offenses and I feel like that’s what we’ll be limited to with Bryce. For those who are okay with that kind of offense, I can see why Bryce would be the guy.

I mentioned this in another post but the NFL is mostly run in the shotgun formation now. Doug Pederson/Nick Sirianni (who run schemes similar to Reichs) play out of shotgun 75/80% of the time. Reich’s last full year in Indy, they utilized shotgun 76% of their plays. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah and Auburn so was bad their HC got fired. I believe that final drive has a clear intentional grounding by Young that got ignored as well…

Not his best game, but at the end of the day he did what was needed to win the game. Iron Bowls can be tough at any time.

Smart play.  He's getting hit so throwing down won't get the flag because the refs will assume it was because of the hit. 

57 minutes ago, Julio said:

I mentioned this in another post but the NFL is mostly run in the shotgun formation now. Doug Pederson/Nick Sirianni (who run schemes similar to Reichs) play out of shotgun 75/80% of the time. Reich’s last full year in Indy, they utilized shotgun 76% of their plays. 

Yeah you're absolutely correct. But 20% out of shotgun is still a few hundred plays a season and if he can't play under center then there will be problems. In my opinion, Young will be limited to West Coast offense his entire career no matter how the NFL evolves while Stroud has the skillset to play in almost any scheme. I see Young as an unnecessary risk with only marginally better upside than Stroud, personally.

Edited by CamTheMan
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, CamTheMan said:

Yeah you're absolutely correct. But 20% out of shotgun is still a few hundred plays a season and if he can't play under center then there will be problems. In my opinion, Young will be limited to West Coast offense his entire career no matter how the NFL evolves while Stroud has the skillset to play in almost any scheme. I see Young as an unnecessary risk with only marginally better upside than Stroud, personally.

I'm still looking for the analysis on Young under center.  Because the only stat I saw was a tweet for just last year.    Is it all based on the one tweet with no reference ?  The huddle seems to think that he can't take an under center snap because they didn't call it much in bama.    Did the coach say something somewhere?

7 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I'm still looking for the analysis on Young under center.  Because the only stat I saw was a tweet for just last year.    Is it all based on the one tweet with no reference ?  The huddle seems to think that he can't take an under center snap because they didn't call it much in bama.    Did the coach say something somewhere?

I didn't say that he absolutely cannot play under center, I said "if" he can't. He has never done it before. There are adjustments Bryce Young needs to make to play in the pros and there really aren't for Stroud. Is it possible he makes the proper adjustments? Absolutely. Is it still a risk? Absolutely. Stroud is the safest quarterback in the draft but also has tons of potential. If we want to take risks for potentially greater reward, why not just go with Richardson? 

• Pie 1