• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jalen Hurts extended

Mr. Scot

12 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

There needs to be a QB cap limit just like there was a NFL rookie cap limit. If these contracts don't get under control, there's going to be some pretty hard feelings coming from the other guys who can't get paid because $65m a year isn't enough. 

I don't know if a separate quarterback cap would work. I do know things like that have been proposed, as well as a cap percentage limit, excluding quarterbacks from the cap altogether and other suggestions.

Feels like they need to do something, for sure. As it stands now, paying your franchise quarterback and protecting your franchise quarterback are becoming mutually exclusive propositions.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

FROM A RECENT ESPN ARTICLE:

Given the absurdity of quarterback contracts, which have risen every single year over the past decade or so, the league is reportedly starting to wonder if it makes sense to have a separate NFL salary cap just for the most important position on the field.

That’s according to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, who detailed what he’s hearing from sources as the league begins conversations about a new CBA.

This is a pretty genius idea from the league. However Fowler points out, it will be difficult to get done because of the complexities of the NFL salary cap, which is already difficult to understand and for teams to maneuver. But, given the emphasis on having a franchise quarterback, giving teams more money to spend on that specific position is at least worth discussing.

Let’s face it, every single team has to make difficult decisions each offseason based off of the salary cap number at the time. We’ve seen future Hall of Famers at numerous positions be cut to save money to sign a quarterback, like Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas in Seattle in order to allocate more cash to Russell Wilson.

While this has always been part of the league, it’s smart that the NFL is at least analyzing what a separate salary cap for just passers would look like. Who knows if it actually comes to fruition or not, though.

Fug that! Let a few of them walk and drive that cap hit number back down. Lamar is going to look like even more of an @$$ if he gets hurt playing tagged.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know if a separate quarterback cap would work. I do know things like that have been proposed, as well as a cap percentage limit, excluding quarterbacks from the cap altogether and other suggestions.

Feels like they need to do something, for sure. As it stands now, paying your franchise quarterback and protecting your franchise quarterback are becoming mutually exclusive propositions.

I know it's becoming that the franchise QB is the end all be all of success in the NFL and it just isn't true. We all saw what happened to Cam with a bad oline. Plus you need someone to actually catch, and a few guys on defense to actually stop people. If you want above average to elite at any of those other positions you're going to have to make some serious sacrifices in other areas. A little ego check for some of these guys making 50-60m per season might be coming when they get planted into the turf repeatedly because they have an offensive line made up of Byron Bells. 

I don't think a cap for QBs would work. Let's say that Hurts hit the cap limit with his deal. Where does that leave Burrow and others after him? Who's going to tell him no?

Having a QB cap limit just kicks the can down the road a bit. 

Honestly, nothing needs to be done. Yes, it's a trade off. While your franchise QB is getting top dollar, it would be a good idea to draft well and don't hand out stupid contracts. 

And maybe be sure your franchise QB is actually a franchise QB (looking at you Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Russell Wilson).

23 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I know it's becoming that the franchise QB is the end all be all of success in the NFL and it just isn't true. We all saw what happened to Cam with a bad oline. Plus you need someone to actually catch, and a few guys on defense to actually stop people. If you want above average to elite at any of those other positions you're going to have to make some serious sacrifices in other areas. A little ego check for some of these guys making 50-60m per season might be coming when they get planted into the turf repeatedly because they have an offensive line made up of Byron Bells. 

Yep, and the trend is becoming to try and win with a quarterback on a rookie deal. That's not necessarily the best thing for the veterans.

I think there'll be change at some point. It's just unclear what kind of change it'll be.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

FIFY

Man yall dudes really think im a Lamar Jackson superfan huh?

Crazy how a few people can make the entire sub think that.smh

I suggested 7 QB's this offseason Lamar/Rodgers/Fields/Young/Stroud/AR/Levis

And somehow people only focused on Lamar Jackson when it came to me. Nobody wants to mention the other 6 QB's I mentioned...

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Man yall dudes really think im a Lamar Jackson superfan huh?

Crazy how a few people can make the entire sub think that.smh

I suggested 7 QB's this offseason Lamar/Rodgers/Fields/Young/Stroud/AR/Levis

And somehow people only focused on Lamar Jackson when it came to me. Nobody wants to mention the other 6 QB's I mentioned...

Nah man. It was all in jest and good fun. 

• Beer 1