• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What could a trade down look like?

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

See above 😄

Besides the "Young or nobody" stories, You've got the added drama of Caserio rumored to be on the way out.

(he denies it, but of course he would)

If that's true, he could definitely be looking to make a big splash on his way out the door.

If they offered #1 next year OR # 12, I'd pounce on the deal.

Disclaimer, I have Young & Stroud very closely ranked. Not sure how the Panthers brass feel.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

If it is 2 and 12 you could pair Stroud and JSN.  If it is 2 and next year's first we could have a shot at Stroud with MHJ.  Both are complete pipe dreams, but that is what several Stroud fans want I believe.  

Eeehhh, I don't know that they're "pipe dreams".

I wouldn't predict anything like that happening, but it's not that farfetched.

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Its humorous this is still being entertained.  I suppose its possible, but it would be unprecedented.  Who trades up to 1 to trade down?  Fitt is more likely to be a laughing stock than a genius with that kind of move.  Not exactly the type of thing you want on your resume if things don't work out for him in Carolina.

It all depends on the offer. If we really don't have a preference and could end up getting their 24 1st, we would have moved from 9 to 2 for Moore and 2 2nds. They would have to add a 3rd and a 5th to that, but I'd still be ok with it.

If Young is the pick and does end up getting hurt, that future 1st is going to be really high and we could end up with the option of a better QB prospect or trade out for a boatload of picks. Having multiple options isn't a bad thing. 

• Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

If we pick Bryce, he doesn't pan out and CJ does, same result.

I see it a lot, but the idea that the whole "what if we make a bad pick" idea only applies to a trade down scenario is kind of silly.

We could absolutely stay at #1 and still blow it.

No its not the same result.  I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make.  We're not the only team that has traded up to #1 take a player that didn't work out.  But you look extra stupid if you trade up to 1, then trade down and end up with a guy that doesn't work out, while the guy who went first is a stud.  That's the kind of trade that sticks with a GM the rest of their career.  That could be the difference in Fitterer getting another GM job if he fails in Carolina.

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

No its not the same result.  I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make.  We're not the only team that has traded up to #1 take a player that didn't work out.  But you look extra stupid if you trade up to 1, then trade down and end up with a guy that doesn't work out, while the guy who went first is a stud.  That's the kind of trade that sticks with a GM the rest of their career.  That could be the difference in Fitterer getting another GM job if he fails in Carolina.

Oh, I'm not missing the point you're trying to make.

The point you're trying to make is wrong.

Taking the wrong guy is devastating either way. If we pick Young and he busts, then people are going to point to everything we traded to get to #1 and laugh.

1 minute ago, Jaxel said:

Nothing would tickle Mr. Scot more than if some version of this trade down happened, even it its for like a 4th round pick. Lol

Nothing would tickle me more than us picking the right guy.

I don't care whether it's at #1, #2 or #80.

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Actually there is nothing wrong if a trade happens we can still get a good QB between CJ and Bryce to draft and recoup picks we we gave up. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Nothing would tickle me more than us picking the right guy.

I don't care whether it's at #1, #2 or #80.

You mention this trade down in every thread, it's okay to admit it's your dream scenario. Nothing wrong with that, I personally just think it's kind of silly.