• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

*apparently false scores leaked* STROUD SCORES 18% ON S2 TEST (or maybe not)

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

How is he capped out? Haha. He is the best learner in this draft… he has a head start on every player to be successful in the NFL. What would take stroud, AR, and others multiple seasons to learn… young shows promise to have it understood in a single offseason.

how have we not learned from Brady, burrow, and manning that the QB position isn’t about athletic ability….

Yeah its not like you fill your brain and cant learn anymore, having good mental traits just means you'll learn and process new information faster, which theoretically could lead to faster improvements.

2 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I agree with you on that, I’ve made my choice on who I want clear (I’m perfectly fine if it’s young though), who would you prefer?

I've been a Stroud proponent, which is funny because when it comes to quarterbacks, I'm normally a guy who cares less about measurables and more about intangibles.

Young is absolutely everything that I would want a quarterback to be. He's smart, he processes well, he's an accurate passer, all the most important stuff.

But yes, I worry about his durability. Especially so because you know other teams are going to try to hit him as hard as possible. And I think you can get pretty close to Young's intangibles with Stroud while not having the durability concerns.

Ultimately though, I think Young will be the guy so I just have to commit to cringing and covering my eyes when he takes a hit 😖

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Oh man is there any company that offers a service to help get S2 scores up?

It was said somewhere that it’s similar to IQ where you’re stuck with it and it’s not like a traditional test where you can study to improve your scores. Apparently it tends to stay in a 5 point variable.

(FROM THE ARTICLE)

The newest thing in judging athletes is S2 Cognition, a business based in Nashville that has been marketing its product to NFL teams for about seven years. And, in interviews with several football executives this month, S2 testing has developed a reputation so strong in the industry that it undoubtedly will affect to some degree how quarterbacks are drafted.

Suffice it to say, the candidacy for Alabama’s Bryce Young as the top quarterback only was strengthened by his preeminent performance on the S2 whereas the draft stock of Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud, possibly the No. 2 prospect, took a hit.

“The S2 people will say, ‘Hey, guys that graded high on this test don’t always play well,’” one club executive said, “’But, we’ve never had somebody grade low and play well.’”

The S2 website showcases the results of Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow, who was the No. 1 pick in 2020. His total score of 97% was broken down into four sections: 94% on visual learning, 97% in instinctive learning, 97% in impulse control and 93% in improvisation.

According to S2, the 30-to-45 minute exercise is conducted on what The Athletic’s Matt Barrows in February described as a “specially designed gaming laptop and response pad that can record reactions in two milliseconds.” It measures how players process and make split-second decisions. “Anticipating, reading, reacting and adapting to the game are measurable skills,” the website offers.

Multiple sources said Young’s total score was 98% whereas Stroud’s total score was 18%.

Some other total scores in the class of quarterbacks this year were 96% for Fresno State’s Jake Haener, 93% for Kentucky’s Will Levis and Brigham Young’s Jaren Hall, 84% for Houston’s Clayton Tune, 79% for Florida’s Anthony Richardson and 46% for Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker.

“Stroud scored 18,” an executive said. “That is like red alert, red alert, you can’t take a guy like that. That is why I have Stroud as a bust. That in conjunction with the fact, name one Ohio State quarterback that’s ever done it in the league.”

Justin Fields has started two seasons for Chicago, and among Buckeye retirees the ex-Bear Mike Tomczak might be next. It certainly wouldn’t be first-round busts Dwayne Haskins (2019) and Art Schlichter (1982).

Haener, during a recent appearance at the 49ers’ visit day for local prospects in Santa Clara, Calif., admitted being told he did well on the S2. “I try to show people how I can process, how I can see things,” he told reporters.

Young’s extraordinary score was in keeping with the anticipatory type of play that evaluators often cite as one of his greatest assets.

“The only guy play-style-wise I can compare him to is Joe Burrow in his LSU year,” said an executive with extensive NFL experience. “Bryce is the best combination of poise, processing, instincts, toughness. This kid feels and sees so much.”

When another executive was informed that Stroud scored extremely low, he said that it confirmed what he had seen on tape.

“That was my concern with him,” the scout said. “His personality is just sort of calm and mellow and laidback, and that’s the way he plays. You look at how Bryce Young plays and how Stroud plays, I don’t see how anyone can look at those two play football and you’d want that guy (Stroud) over Young. Bryce’s mind is so quick and he processes so fast. Whereas with Stroud, everything is much, much more programmed.

One NFC executive described the S2 as a “great test.” Said an AFC executive: “For quarterbacks, it’s been pretty good,”

Another executive said S2 made inroads early in its existence testing hitters for major league baseball clubs.

“Then they started doing it in football,” the executive said. “If you get a high score as a quarterback it’s not saying you’re going to be a great player. But if you get a low score, it’s 100% — none of the quarterbacks that got a low score became good players.

The benchmark is 80. Eighty and above is good. Stroud was 18. It’s incredibly terrible. He’s going to be off (some team’s) boards. He will not be picked by those teams.”

An executive said that Iowa State’s Brock Purdy, the 262nd and final player selected, had the highest S2 score among rookies in 2022.

Despite the S2 results, a survey of 16 evaluators asking them for their choice as the quarterback with the best chance to bust showed Stroud behind Richardson and Levis. The bust vote count was eight for Richardson, five for Levis, two for Stroud and one for Young. In addition, the panel was asked to rank their top quarterbacks on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis, with a first-place vote worth 5 points, a second-place vote worth 4 and so on.

Young, with 10 firsts and 72 points, led the way. He was followed by Stroud (56, two), Levis (46, three), Richardson (40, one), Hooker (20), Max Duggan (two), Haener (two), Tanner McKee (one) and Dorian Thompson-Robinson (one).

Here’s a sampling how some scouts summed up this collection of quarterbacks.

AFC evaluator: “I would say a bit above average. There’s not a bonafide guy. There’s no Andrew Luck. Comparing it to Joe Burrow, Tua (Tagovailoa), Justin Herbert, that class was way better coming out. You can poke holes in all these guys.”

AFC evaluator: “It’s the most overhyped, and understandably so, group that I can recall. Every one of them is flawed, and some with major flaws. So I think they all get overdrafted and, unfortunately, they all underperform. Even if they become starters they’re bottom-half-of-the-league starters.”

AFC evaluator: “Teams have gone to better athletes at quarterback, but they’re shorter.”

NFC evaluator: “None of these guys are Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence.”

AFC evaluator: “History tells us probably four of the (top) five will be busts. It’s crazy.”

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The main Twitter source is nobody I've heard of but the guy he's quoating (Bob McGinn) is a very legit source.

the one seen quoting it (John Crumpler) is also valid.

I understand some of these "tweeters" may be legit,,  But this is pretty much 3rd or even 4th hand. 

I bet you get 50% percentile for signing your name lol, 

It's sorta like the report of Farris Bueller being sick,,  
"  Uhm, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

• Beer 1

There has been a lot of chatter about Bryce Young having taken this test every year since HS or w/e, but I'd have to imagine every one of these aspiring NFL QBs has taken this test multiple times before the official registered one, no?  Why would you want your first time taking the test to be the official one that gets released to NFL teams? That'd be nuts. It would be akin to knowing you're running the 40 at the Combine and being like "whatever let's just see what happens, I don't need to try it beforehand".

Is this exam something that's not accessible to most of these QBs?  Like Bryce had some special "in" to be able to take it all these years ahead of time?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

how have we not learned from Brady, burrow, and manning that the QB position isn’t about athletic ability….

Are you saying those players aren't athletic?

Peyton was putting up video game numbers into his mid thirties and only retired due to a degenerative neck condition caused by injury. He also had one of the biggest arms in the nfl.

Brady was able to stay healthy and productive into his forties and was hurt once his entire career, rule change bullshit aside. 

Burrow is incredibly athletic, no idea what you're talking about there.

Athleticism is a nebulous term but you seem to think it just means looking like Brady Quinn or something. The worst person to ever take a snap at QB on a practice squad is more athletic than anyone you've ever met in your life. 

this was jared lorenzen clocking in close to 400 pounds

13 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

How is he capped out? Haha. He is the best learner in this draft… he has a head start on every player to be successful in the NFL. What would take stroud, AR, and others multiple seasons to learn… young shows promise to have it understood in a single offseason.

I know right.  And some act like those elite processing traits can be just coached into them.  If so we don't know what Young's processing ceiling is.

All we do know, is its an VERY important trait, that shows up on tape.

Edited by poundaway
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

There has been a lot of chatter about Bryce Young having taken this test every year since HS or w/e, but I'd have to imagine every one of these aspiring NFL QBs has taken this test multiple times before the official registered one, no?  Why would you want your first time taking the test to be the official one that gets released to NFL teams? That'd be nuts. It would be akin to knowing you're running the 40 at the Combine and being like "whatever let's just see what happens, I don't need to try it beforehand".

Is this exam something that's not accessible to most of these QBs?  Like Bryce had some special "in" to be able to take it all these years ahead of time?

It's really hard to improve your score for this test. You will get mostly the same results each time, because mental, on the spot processing is really hard to improve. I would say that they had him take the test several times to see if there was growth, but it sounds like there wasn't. 

• Pie 1