• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith interview with Bryce Young

backINblack28

23 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

He plays big on film though.

Ask yourself this if this guy is so tiny why is he going to be the #1 pick in the NFL Draft?

Honestly,  because the NFL years ago decided this would be an offense driven league. Tesms are required to go find a QB if they want a chance to compete. The days of elite defenses being able to carry a mediocre QB are over. The rules have changed.

That's why these guys with issues are being drafted so early when they really should be going later. Teams can't afford to rely on a T2G or Flacco to lead a mediocre offense and still hope for success. It's the modern NFL and offense is exciting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down BY, CJ or any of these guys. I'm just saying if offense and defense were equally valued by the NFL, then Will Anderson would be the pick. But they're not, so we play by the new NFL rules. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Wilso - 3rd round pick.  Brees 2nd rounder.  Tell me why they were second and third rounders and not 1st rounders?  Cause they were small and teams didn't want to risk a 1st on them.

We all saw what a good hit or two did to Cam's career.  And we know how big and physically gifted he was in his prime.  What would a hit or two like that do to BY?

I agree that Brees and Wilson were not first-rounders because they were undersized. However, Brees (2001) and Wilson (2012) were drafted over a decade ago and their success at QB paved the way for Kyler Murray to go #1 overall. 

Bryce Young will be a size outlier, practically everyone acknowledges it, including the Panthers. 

Honestly, his size is what opened the playing field for CJ Stroud, Anthony Richardson, and Will Levis into the discussion at #1. 

Assuming Young is the pick at 1, the other 3 Qbs had every opportunity to convince the staff through their tape, private interviews and workouts they should be the guy. Yet, they didn't close the gap. 

Finally, the question about the hits that Cam took are more relevant for Anthony Richardson, who will have designed runs called for him. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Acting like it means nothing is not what I’m talking about. 

People writing paragraphs about his size concerns like it’s a novel observation is what I’m talking about. 

Like no poo. EVERYONE KNOWS.

”He’ll be small a year from now.”

EVERYONE KNOWS.

”Durability concerns…”

EVERYBODY KNOWS.

That’s all I’m saying. 

Understood, but the counterpoint is that concern doesn't magically vanish if he's the pick. It'll be there for his entire career, however long (or short) that is.

That's a major concern.

24 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

I agree that Brees and Wilson were not first-rounders because they were undersized. However, Brees (2001) and Wilson (2012) were drafted over a decade ago and their success at QB paved the way for Kyler Murray to go #1 overall. 

Bryce Young will be a size outlier, practically everyone acknowledges it, including the Panthers. 

Honestly, his size is what opened the playing field for CJ Stroud, Anthony Richardson, and Will Levis into the discussion at #1. 

Assuming Young is the pick at 1, the other 3 Qbs had every opportunity to convince the staff through their tape, private interviews and workouts they should be the guy. Yet, they didn't close the gap. 

Finally, the question about the hits that Cam took are more relevant for Anthony Richardson, who will have designed runs called for him. 

We don't know if they closed the gap or not. It's all speculation at this point. The Panthers brass has been very tight lipped. 

The hits that concerned me most with Cam were the ones that were allowed by the NFL. Carolina is a small market team and our QBs won't be protected the same way. 

53 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

Yeah.   This is well said.  It’s a big elephant in the room that everybody points at every chance they get. And still, there’s a group of people in the Carolina FO and coaching staff who really know football that are looking at that elephant and saying “ok, yep” then shrug and run up to the podium to call his name despite that.

I’m good with it. 

2 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

Wilso - 3rd round pick.  Brees 2nd rounder.  Tell me why they were second and third rounders and not 1st rounders?  Cause they were small and teams didn't want to risk a 1st on them.

We all saw what a good hit or two did to Cam's career.  And we know how big and physically gifted he was in his prime.  What would a hit or two like that do to BY?

Apples and oranges. Cam wouldn’t throw the ball away and took hit after hit. Smart QBs get rid of the ball. 

• Poo 3

Nothing to do with the Byrce content, but that whole podcast was painful to listen to, audio-wise.

Bryce may need to invest in some better microphones and other audio stuff if these are going to continue.

Somebody engineering that podcast should have spoken up during the initial test/sound check.

2 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Apples and oranges. Cam wouldn’t throw the ball away and took hit after hit. Smart QBs get rid of the ball. 

Cam just wasn't afraid of the hits. He played like he was indestructible, and for awhile he was. But it eventually caught up to him. However it is not an indication of his intelligence or lack thereof. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

On 4/21/2023 at 5:19 PM, Mr. Scot said:

It's not that he can't add muscle. It's that he has a slight, narrow frame. If I remember my terms correctly, I believe they call it an ectomorphic body type.

For context, picture Robbie Anderson standing next to Kelvin Benjamin. Regardless of weight or muscle mass, Benjamin's frame was wider and thicker.

Fitt didn’t seem too concerned about adding weight to his frame. At 21 years old he is far from his final weight it frame. I remember CMC looking pretty slender before bulking up his second year as a pro.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Fitt didn’t seem too concerned about adding weight to his frame. At 21 years old he is far from his final weight it frame. I remember CMC looking pretty slender before bulking up his second year as a pro.

They're concerned. Reich has straight up admitted that multiple times.

They wouldn't be talking about all the things they can do to "fix" the issue of they weren't concerned.

51 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They're concerned. Reich has straight up admitted that multiple times.

They wouldn't be talking about all the things they can do to "fix" the issue of they weren't concerned.

Oh his size is without a doubt concerning. No one is arguing that. I’m saying he will bulk up on the NFL pretty easily and STILL be undersized. Plus he can’t grow any taller. I’m definitely not dismissing his size (remember I have Stroud ranked slightly above him due to size).