• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN lays off employees, with more cuts to come

ladypanther

42 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Take away college football and idk that I hardly ever watch anything on ESPN anymore. Some F1 here and there 

Do like the college football coverage.  Probably is the last reason to watch for me

Edited by Shocker

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Speaking of Disney I heard on the radio today that Disney World might be coming to North Carolina. Nothing final but it's being considered as a real possibility.

My guess is somewhere out West with a lot of land would probably be the location. Asheville makes sense.

Asheville traffic is bad enough. Please no...

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Speaking of Disney I heard on the radio today that Disney World might be coming to North Carolina. Nothing final but it's being considered as a real possibility.

My guess is somewhere out West with a lot of land would probably be the location. Asheville makes sense.

Nah Western NC would be too cold and the parks wouldn't be open (or busy enough to be open) in January and February.  Plus the land in WNC Especially the Asheville area is ridiculously overpriced compared to somewhere in the piedmont or eastern part of the state. 

But it'll never happen. "Disney World" will never move out of central Florida.  The only thing that I could see ever happening would be a smaller regional park . Like they tried to build in Virginia in the 80s or 90s.

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, Mol3m4n said:

Or maybe their poor decisions are catching up with them. 

Let's see for 2022 they posted $28.31 billion in gross profits, an increase of 27 percent over 2021, which was a tough year for everyone. But even during the pandemic shut down year of 2021, they still posted more than $22 billion in gross profits, a 3.6 percent increase from the previous year.

2020 did see a decline from 2019's gross profits dropping 21.92 percent, but still posting in$21.5 billion in gross profits for the year.

Not sure where you think there are some poor decisions they've been making. Heck, we should all be having such terrible luck.

• Poo 2

1 minute ago, Mayor Qumiby said:

Nah Western NC would be too cold and the parks wouldn't be open (or busy enough to be open) in January and February.  Plus the land in WNC Especially the Asheville area is ridiculously overpriced compared to somewhere in the piedmont or eastern part of the state. 

But it'll never happen. "Disney World" will never move out of central Florida.  The only thing that I could see ever happening would be a smaller regional park . Like they tried to build in Virginia in the 80s or 90s.

Yeah I wasn't saying it was a done deal. I was just saying it is being talked about as a possibility.

I just don't see a park like Disney World ever being in NC. As someone mentioned earlier our weather isn't great year round like Florida. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Pat McAfee didn't start that trend buddy.

People been making millions off YT long before McAfee. Are you entertaining? Can you make content that people will watch? 

If you have those skills you can make a living as your own brand. Content creators is what they are called.

ESPN/Fox debate shows are not even that anymore. These dudes are talking about off field topics a majority of the time. Crazy how times have changed. ESPN are trying to fit in to the new media. You now have their employees cussing on live air. ESPN is owned by Disney which is family/kid friendly. Billion dollar companies adjusting to the new media.

Pretty soon they will be hiring these content creators to generate more viewers and revenue. The odd guys out are the old people sadly. This is the new norm.

PMS didn’t start the trend but his style of content is what’s the new norm. 

You’ve got ESPN now ‘breaking’ news that comes out on the PMS

Aaron Rodgers declared his ‘decision’ on their

his crew is amazing including getting Pac Man Jones.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheBigKat said:

PMS didn’t start the trend but his style of content is what’s the new norm. 

You’ve got ESPN now ‘breaking’ news that comes out on the PMS

Aaron Rodgers declared his ‘decision’ on their

his crew is amazing including getting Pac Man Jones.

Did you read my last statement...Pretty soon they will be hiring these content creators to generate more viewers and revenue. The odd guys out are the old people sadly. This is the new norm.

ESPN already hired Pat. He's going to get a show pretty soon. They kicking the oldheads out for the new media guys.

Look at how they are hiring all these former and current NBA players. No longer is it about being a analyst. It's about who can be the most entertaining and get clicks. Sucks for the people who actually went to school for that now they have to lose their job because they aren't entertaining enough.

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

Did you read my last statement...Pretty soon they will be hiring these content creators to generate more viewers and revenue. The odd guys out are the old people sadly. This is the new norm.

ESPN already hired Pat. He's going to get a show pretty soon. They kicking the oldheads out for the new media guys.

Look at how they are hiring all these former and current NBA players. No longer is it about being a analyst. It's about who can be the most entertaining and get clicks. Sucks for the people who actually went to school for that now they have to lose their job because they aren't entertaining enough.

The moment PMS sells out to join ‘networks’ his show will take a nosedive. The minute you can’t drop F bombs and be authentic then you’ll turn into another robotic talking head.

I get the money he’d make but he has a STRONG list of sponsors and riding a 🚀, I wouldn’t risk that to join ESPN.

• Pie 2

Just now, TheBigKat said:

The moment PMS sells out to join ‘networks’ his show will take a nosedive. The minute you can’t drop F bombs and be authentic then you’ll turn into another robotic talking head.

I get the money he’d make but he has a STRONG list of sponsors and riding a 🚀, I wouldn’t risk that to join ESPN.

He can still do his show on YT.lol

Plenty of YT creators do both Shannon Sharpe does it with Fox and YT.

Doesn't hurt to have multiple ways of income coming in.