• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Move over Matt Rhule, the Rivera era was the real disaster

The Rhule era was clearly the far bigger disaster but Ron sums up his era perfectly. Missed opportunities. We had generational on both sides of the ball and we squandered the fug out of it. If Ron had the balls to not go with the in-house talent at OC when Chud left to coach the Browns things go a lot differently. Gettleman failing miserably to build an OL or receiving corps gets a strong honorable mention.

12 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I can't wait for actual player interviews and some dumb clips of guys catching passes tmrw. The board is at the breaking point brain cell wise

The nimrod who posted this thread was already way ahead of everybody on that front.

His original stick was that we were all going to be massively sorry we let go of Teddy Bridgewater (hence the dumbass screen name).

• Beer 1

Rivera wasn't the worst coach but he sure was the most stubborn. If he would've learned from his mistakes in 2013 and capitalized on them in the coming years maybe we would've won a SB. I wanted Joel Bitonio or Davante Adams os badly I was screaming out my lungs at the TV when we draft Benjamin in 2014. I knew we needed a better OL and at least one good WR and instead we made one of many infuriating picks while being coached by RR. His drafts left a lot to be desired, yes there were a few solid first round picks sprinkled in there but outside of Luke Cam BB and CMC, I feel the rest have been underwhelming to down right bad. 

2 minutes ago, byob1013 said:

were a few solid first round picks sprinkled in there but outside of Luke Cam BB and CMC, I feel the rest have been underwhelming to down right bad. 

Star and DJ Moore were great picks too.  

The Panthers have tons of flaws.  But the Panthers in the first round vs their peers have been way better than average.  Even amongst those that generally have good draft position.  

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Star and DJ Moore were great picks too.  

The Panthers have tons of flaws.  But the Panthers in the first round vs their peers have been way better than average.  Even amongst those that generally have good draft position.  

Star was a space eater I didn't hate him but felt he underwhelmed in his career here overall, thus explaining his drop out of the perceived top 10 expected. Since DJ isn't here anymore and never got to play in the playoffs I didnt include him.

4 minutes ago, byob1013 said:

Star was a space eater I didn't hate him but felt he underwhelmed in his career here overall, thus explaining his drop out of the perceived top 10 expected. Since DJ isn't here anymore and never got to play in the playoffs I didnt include him.

Star was dominant.  He just didn't play a sexy role.  

Panthers lived in the top 10 vs the run during the Star era.  Often top 5.  

We haven't been there since he left.  

Super underrated IMO.   We went with the sexy sack guy in Short come pay time.  Star was always the better of the two IMO. 

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I really can't ascribe the wasting of Cam and Luke's best years to Rivera as much as I do Gettleman. If Rivera sucks this year, now that he's the one basically in control, I'll say that you're probably right, but I wouldn't count him out just yet.

The rosters Gettleman constructed had considerably more success than the rosters Hurney generated, with the same core players and Rivera as coach. It's not quite that simple and obviously both GMs had significant faults and Rivera has had concerns himself, but I don't think it's fair to say Gettleman "wasted" Cam and Luke.

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Star was dominant.  He just didn't play a sexy role.  

Panthers lived in the top 10 vs the run during the Star era.  Often top 5.  

We haven't been there since he left.  

Super underrated IMO.   We went with the sexy sack guy in Short come pay time.  Star was always the better of the two IMO. 

I agree to disagree.