• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

eerily similar situation regarding rookie QB number (tinfoil hat / jersey number fans only)

GOAT

so back in 2011, Cam Newton who played his CFB in the state of Alabama, was drafted by the Panthers #1 overall, he wore #2 his whole life - being the middle child. The number was important to him. He offered a ton of money to Jimmy Clausen, a QB that attended Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, CA. A QB that was drafted by the Panthers day 2 the year prior. Jimmy denied Cam Newton which resulted in him wearing #1. Jimmy then switched to #7 after Jason Baker left like an asshole. The rest is history.

fast forward 12 years later, the Panthers draft Bryce Young who played his CFB in the state of Alabama, was drafted by the Panthers #1 overall, he wore #9 his whole life. That number currently belongs to Matt Corral, a QB that attended Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, CA. A QB that was drafted by the Panthers day 2 the year prior. 

Matt already seems salty, and his College number #2 is now available. Does he give #9 to Bryce? Does he be an asshole and say no and then switch the next year just before being cut?

This is some Lincoln / Kennedy poo for real.

• Pie 7

2 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

If he doesnt give up #9, trade or cut him because he is just being a bitch.

I could not have said it any better. However, I feel that Matt Corral will take the high road by  giving Bryce Young the # 9 and getting his previous  #2 college jersey number.

• Beer 1

Aren’t the rules about changing your jersey number? Like you have to apply for it by a certain date and then you have to offer to buy back some of your jersey sales? Bryce is going to have to pay him for it. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-jersey-number-rules-2021-changes/gi7edb7zi2kn15fqulia6gkmw

Sounds like you have to pay for any retail ready inventory the nfl has ready. Dalvin Cook had to pay 1.5 million to change his. Not sure what MC would have to pay. 

Edited by Varking
  • Pie 1

Reality is, a second year player drafted in the 3rd round….should feel he can be the man.  Regardless of what the team does. Act that way too.  That’s in theory what we want the roster full of. 

I got no problem if Corral keeps the number.  I’d sell it though. 

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I wouldn't even give him the chance to say not to Bryce, particularly after that post yesterday.

Tepper should have texted him last night telling him he needs to pick a new number as they gave #9 to Bryce.

What post, do share!

12 minutes ago, Varking said:

Aren’t the rules about changing your jersey number? Like you have to apply for it by a certain date and then you have to offer to buy back some of your jersey sales? Bryce is going to have to pay him for it. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-jersey-number-rules-2021-changes/gi7edb7zi2kn15fqulia6gkmw

Sounds like you have to pay for any retail ready inventory the nfl has ready. Dalvin Cook had to pay 1.5 million to change his. Not sure what MC would have to pay. 

I don’t imagine there are many retail ready Matt Corral jerseys floating around.  

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

I don’t imagine there are many retail ready Matt Corral jerseys floating around.  

Maybe not but I’m sure he sold a chunk after he got drafted and I’d wager a lot of Carolina area nfl stores would have his jersey in it even if there aren’t a ton. And he fell in the draft so he’s not making like 8 million dollars this year. It’s going to be up to Bryce to pay him I’d imagine. 

Matt posted a picture of himself today showing off that number 9. 

IMG_2333.png