• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye explains DJ Johnson pick

TheSpecialJuan

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So... pure desperation is what I gather? That always leads to good decisions.

Most of these guys who bounce around positions - particularly from one side of the ball to the other - are typically great athletes who simply aren't good football players. It's just coaches trying to figure out some way to use this gifted athlete and nothing is clicking. There are exceptions but those guys are indeed the exception and not the rule.

Yeah this is not very assuring. Looks like we committed to draft a position regardless of talent available. 

It also reeks of a lack unity in the organization. They’re not just drafting BPA but maybe trying to appease new coaching hires on both sides of ball. 

34 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Most people had been loving the new staff.  Now a lot of people seem to think they are incompetent.  Going to trust their eval.  Remember the last time the Panthers had a "freak of nature" on the D?

Evero sees something in this guy.  Last year's Denver defensive players loved Evero...said he made everyone better.  I am excited to see what he can do with our newest "freak".

People who are looking for something to panic about or something to complain about generally find what they're looking for...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

At the time I thought we were targeting BJ or Mingo and I said as much. It looked to me that BJ could fall into our lap, and that would be that. Then instead we went with Mingo, but I thought we could trade down a few spots and still have taken Mingo, he doesn't exactly get much separation. We don't know for sure if Fitt wanted BJ or not, but I have a feeling he did.

So then I thought let's skip the edge rushers and get better value with our next pick. Or at least stay put and let a lesser edge fall in our laps. We did the opposite and traded up for an edge who imo should have been sitting there for our next pick. That's when I got upset, but who knows what would have really happened. Would I have been upset if DJ was picked and we stayed put? No. No one would have outside of the Panthers war room. Who cares?

Edited by pantherj

2 hours ago, Swaggasaurus said:

BJ and DJ had the exact same stat lines last year. Motherfugers acting like Mingo over BJ was a huge loss. SAME Stats as the colossal mistake DJ Johnson. Gtfo with that poo. Y’all motherfugers look at Walterfootball and decide who is good and who ain’t.

I can keep up and acquaint myself with the top 40 guys at the most. Maybe I get to our 2nd round prospects but nowhere near the detail it takes. Past the obvious   

I really hesitate to slam a mid round pick unless future draft picks are involved. That always pisses me off regardless.  Who has time to research 200 players? If I took the time I may not know what I am looking at unless it is, again, really obvious.

2 hours ago, AndrewLaskoski said:

I don’t know the player but the process behind the pick seems sound. They think Johnson can be a day one contributor (Two down edge setting OLB) and he plays a premium position. He also was probably the last of in the group they considered to be a day one contributor.

I’ll never complain at a swing at a key/expensive position (QB, WR, OT, DT, Edge, CB)

This is the problem ppl go either to far right or left..

Day 1 contributor?? What ?? Dude barley played the position in college..

1 hour ago, Gerry Green said:

Yeah, might as well mail it in right?

Hence the part where i said "as of right now"  meaning things could change. Burns is our only consistent pass rusher right now and there is need to get someone else close to his level. Good lord... comprehension is terrible around here. 

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

Barely any quality college production with little experience at DE, he’s a 25yo rookie, and he punched a freaking fan last year so he’s a bit of a hot head.

I thought Reich said they were going to pick smart high character guys and not only did they ignore that here they actually traded up to do it. 

If this guy isn’t a complete bust I’ll be pretty surprised.

Most of us have a favorite player that was a bit of a hot head. Steve Smith.