• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official UDFA thread

TheSpecialJuan

9 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

All the way to Seattle's or another team's Practice Squad, the USFL, or the XFL (if it exists after this season).

Nice story, not NFL players.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?  Of course they probably aren't NFL players--most aren't.  The story is in the journey, not the destination. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

The Safety Position sure seems to be an area of focus.  We signed Rowe and Bell in free agency--we already have Chinn, Woods, and Franklin.  Then we drafted Jammie Robinson and signed this "in the box" safety.  I imagine that this S could be converted to an OLB--but we will see.  He is 6'3" 210 right now, and ran a 4.85 40 (Yikes).

Nico Bolden, S

Strengths: Large safety who has been a dominant run defender the past two seasons. Quick to diagnose, immediately locates the ball handler, and fires out laterally defending the run. Take proper angles, has an explosive closing burst, and drives his shoulders through opponents. Sized well, aggressive, and plays through the whistle. Quarterbacks the secondary and gets teammates in proper position.

Weaknesses: Possesses average speed and marginal ball skills. More of a downhill safety.

Overall: Bolden totaled 188 tackles the past two seasons and comes with terrific size. He’s more of a traditional strong safety, though he should be able to play in a zone system and offers special-teams potential.

Tony Pauline is an NFL Draft Analyst for Pro Football Network. You can read all of Tony’s work here and follow him on Twitter: @TonyPauline.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

I get the feeling that we are going to look very different at CB next year.  I read someone had Rowe playing CB/Nickel.  I see 2 of the Undrafted Free Agents with legitimate chances to make the roster.  Rezjohn White and Richardson (who was offered a $10K signing bonus--not sure what that means) could compete with Taylor and Thomas-Oliver III--maybe Henderson.

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I get the feeling that we are going to look very different at CB next year.  I read someone had Rowe playing CB/Nickel.  I see 2 of the Undrafted Free Agents with legitimate chances to make the roster.  Rezjohn White and Richardson (who was offered a $10K signing bonus--not sure what that means) could compete with Taylor and Thomas-Oliver III--maybe Henderson.

Ugh! If only Henderson's potential would come to fruition. (Off topic, sorry)

• Pie 1

In my uneducated view of this right now, the current roster is a big question mark.  We added 15 free agents, just drafted 5 players.  Of the players we drafted, I would guess that most if not all will make the roster.

Young: Lock

Mingo: Lock

Johnson:  Lock (I know some do not like him, but they know he is a project for a season, so that season is guaranteed, imo)

Zavala:  He has a chance to start.  I think there is nothing they would like more than to move BC to swing Tackle and giving Ekwonu his old LG to team with from college. BC did fairly well last season, but I think his athleticism is lost at G.  I see him as the Taylor Moton RT job heir apparent (Moton will be very expensive in 2 years)-so it is a difficult decision. Mays is a good backup G and C.  In two years, he could be the next RG. So if Zavala can win the starting LG job, we have depth and can reload to avoid cap issues--keeping Young safe and secure.

Jammie Robinson: With Woods, Chinn, and Bell at S, this could come down to a competition between Robinson and Franklin.   Franklin is not under contract in 2024, and his salary is only $1m.  I think the last of the Temple players could be gone.

THE UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS

I see the possibility of the following making the active Roster:

DE: Redmond

OLB: Leota

CB: Wright

ILB: Pool

RB: Peoples

If that were to happen, we would have replaced nearly 50% of the Rhule 2022 roster in 1 season. 

• Pie 1

So begins the annual tradition of fans getting excited for players who couldn’t even get drafted and likely are just gonna flame out or end up as practice squad members. But most are just camp bodies. 
Right up there with fan training camp MVP and then he makes the team only to be cut shortly after and replaced. 
Like that RB we had a few years ago. Made the team, was cut shortly after and replaced. 

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

In my uneducated view of this right now, the current roster is a big question mark.  We added 15 free agents, just drafted 5 players.  Of the players we drafted, I would guess that most if not all will make the roster.

Young: Lock

Mingo: Lock

Johnson:  Lock (I know some do not like him, but they know he is a project for a season, so that season is guaranteed, imo)

Zavala:  He has a chance to start.  I think there is nothing they would like more than to move BC to swing Tackle and giving Ekwonu his old LG to team with from college. BC did fairly well last season, but I think his athleticism is lost at G.  I see him as the Taylor Moton RT job heir apparent (Moton will be very expensive in 2 years)-so it is a difficult decision. Mays is a good backup G and C.  In two years, he could be the next RG. So if Zavala can win the starting LG job, we have depth and can reload to avoid cap issues--keeping Young safe and secure.

Jammie Robinson: With Woods, Chinn, and Bell at S, this could come down to a competition between Robinson and Franklin.   Franklin is not under contract in 2024, and his salary is only $1m.  I think the last of the Temple players could be gone.

THE UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS

I see the possibility of the following making the active Roster:

DE: Redmond

OLB: Leota

CB: Wright

ILB: Pool

RB: Peoples

If that were to happen, we would have replaced nearly 50% of the Rhule 2022 roster in 1 season. 

I foresee more of Rhule's roster getting churned out, some of the hang arounds from his time here might be on the outs.  Different staff and scheme, different mentality in terms of roster building.  I wouldn't be shocked to see even some of the ST guys get churned out in favor for players who have more of a chance to make an impact on the field as well.  I wouldn't even put it past players like Viska/Henderson to get traded away or cut .

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Steelo Senpai said:

I foresee more of Rhule's roster getting churned out, some of the hang arounds from his time here might be on the outs.  Different staff and scheme, different mentality in terms of roster building.  I wouldn't be shocked to see even some of the ST guys get churned out in favor for players who have more of a chance to make an impact on the field as well.  I wouldn't even put it past players like Viska/Henderson to get traded away or cut .

Not that they are no longer fits, I just don't think some were that good.  Franklin, Teckenberg, Roy--all could be gone under this new bunch.  If all the free agents make the team, and the draft picks, and I honestly think 4-5 undrafted rookies have a shot--that would be about 24-25 new players.  Hard to imagine.