• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Bryce is as good as most think..

WOW!!

6 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Considering you are in your base 25% of the time and in nickel well over 50% it won't be much different than before since we use the nickel a lot. I think it will make the defense even nastier especially if we bring lots of pressure.

I don't think the challenge of switching to a 3-4 comes from the secondary and inside linebackers. It will likely come from the front and how players adjust to the new techniques.  Henry Anderson and Deshawn Williams have experience in the front of a 3-4 but not really anyone else. The Gap and a half scheme Fits mentioned will surely be different for most any of our existing lineman and linebackers have much experience with. Anyone new would have been selected with this in mind however.

I think I'm as excited or more to see the new defense 

Edited by csx

15 hours ago, csx said:

I don't think the challenge of switching to a 3-4 comes from the secondary and inside linebackers. It will likely come from the front and how players adjust to the new techniques.  Henry Anderson and Deshawn Williams have experience in the front of a 3-4 but not really anyone else. The Gap and a half scheme Fits mentioned will surely be different for most any of our existing lineman and linebackers have much experience with. Anyone new would have been selected with this in mind however.

I think I'm as excited or more to see the new defense 

For defensive linemen the shift is not that great. They may have different assignments or have more 2 gap responsibilities instead of a one gap penetrating style that they are more familiar with.  But things are pretty similar. It it guys like Burns who are now considered outside linebackers that really have a lot to manage. Especially if we use some form of Fangio's  3-4.

I haven’t felt this sure about a Qb since Joe Burrow. I feel like we’ve hit a homerun. We’ve had some really good teams but I would always look around the league and be envious of other franchises star Qb’s (Cam is a different story bc the front office and coaching staff legit thought he was Superman and would not help him at all). 

If we got this pick right, we could have a run of NFC South Division titles that rivals the great stretches in history. From the 49ers to the Patriots to the Chiefs. We could have several consecutive NFC Championship games appearances, hosting most of them. I am EXCITED!!! Let’s start the season now!

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LordOfDaWingz said:

I haven’t felt this sure about a Qb since Joe Burrow. I feel like we’ve hit a homerun. We’ve had some really good teams but I would always look around the league and be envious of other franchises star Qb’s (Cam is a different story bc the front office and coaching staff legit thought he was Superman and would not help him at all). 

If we got this pick right, we could have a run of NFC South Division titles that rivals the great stretches in history. From the 49ers to the Patriots to the Chiefs. We could have several consecutive NFC Championship games appearances, hosting most of them. I am EXCITED!!! Let’s start the season now!

This is exactly how we should all feel. The franchise has a super identity now and what I’ve always felt is one of the special players that takes teams to the next level. Unlike guys like Watson, Carr, Dak, Cousins, even maybe Lamar, Kyler etc… he has the “it” and sooner than later the fanbase will see it.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Eric4280 said:

This is exactly how we should all feel. The franchise has a super identity now and what I’ve always felt is one of the special players that takes teams to the next level. Unlike guys like Watson, Carr, Dak, Cousins, even maybe Lamar, Kyler etc… he has the “it” and sooner than later the fanbase will see it.

Exactly! Every time you watch him, you just think “this guy is SPECIAL”. I really like CJ as well but I never got that intuitive feeling that he was special and that doesn’t mean he won’t be a good or great Qb but there is a fine line between great and special. Joe was special in college & so was Bryce. 

• Pie 1

Just now, LordOfDaWingz said:

Exactly! Every time you watch him, you just think “this guy is SPECIAL”. I really like CJ as well but I never got that intuitive feeling that he was special and that doesn’t mean he won’t be a good or great Qb but there is a fine line between great and special. Joe was special in college & so was Bryce. 

And it’s something you can’t grow or manufacture. I’m expecting Sundays to be special for the now and the future.

• Pie 2

Well, I'm excited! Given that Bryce's o-line allowed a lot of pressure last year and he didn't have the best receivers, he's in an ideal situation at Carolina. He'll have a good o-line to protect him. A good running game to support him. Good weapons to target. And a defense that will keep them in most games.

Honestly, a QB picked first overall in the draft couldn't have asked for a better environment. 

• Pie 2

50 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

When?? and was it in the Sec???

Also didn’t it only happen 1 year..

Just saying. Everything people are saying about Young, they said about Zac Wilson. Even if he was in the SEC, he was playing with the most talented team that wasn't Georgia. When his receivers left, he was just average for what you'd expect out of an Alabama QB. 

I'll believe it when I see it but he's going to have to change a lot of his game to make it in the NFL. I think he will start Week 1, but honestly, he reminds me a lot of PJ Walker, more so than Drew Brees or Russell Wilson.

I hope I'm wrong. We have an offense to compete in the NFC now, so long as QB pans out.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:40 PM, rayzor said:

Average height for an Olineman is 6'5 .

How tall do you have to be to see over the OL? How many QBs are capable of doing that?

QBs don't look over the OL. They all look through them. They all choose their lanes to look through.

Might be interesting to see but OL are not standing straight up when blocking. A 6-5” QB may in fact be looking over an OL who’s not standing straight up. Again, lots of variables (like height with helmet on and knee bend/base) but I think that it’s not a fully true statement that QBs can’t look over an OL and that Young does in fact have less chance to look over in some cases.