• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

9 > 2 means New #9

TheCasillas

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/panthers-release-jersey-numbers-for-2023-draft-picks?fbclid=IwAR24Lt0BCFqj3LWTZrsYQ85pPZtGMaqJ0aP0mngpuXNdPF97cIoaV_Kcrfs

Carolina Panthers Release Jersey Numbers for 2023 Draft Picks

New Carolina Panthers quarterback Bryce Young will wear jersey No. 9, the team announced Tuesday morning. Fellow quarterback Matt Corral will switch from No. 9 to No. 2, a request that he submitted prior to the 2023 NFL Draft. Corral wore No. 2 at Ole Miss and during his high school career at Long Beach Polytechnic.

Last year, Corral had to pick a different number with wide receiver DJ Moore occupying his lifelong jersey number. Now, both Panthers quarterbacks will get the number they want.

OTHER PANTHERS ROOKIE NUMBERS

WR Jonathan Mingo - No. 15

LB DJ Johnson - No. 52

OL Chandler Zavala - No. 62

DB Jammie Robinson - No. 22

17 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Judging people without knowing them certainly is relevant. 

But you do you boo. 

he invited criticism with his selfish post. he got plenty of it. if you want to be his knight in shining armor and defend his honor that's fine. he did a stupid. move on

1 hour ago, backINblack28 said:

he invited criticism with his selfish post. he got plenty of it. if you want to be his knight in shining armor and defend his honor that's fine. he did a stupid. move on

Do you read your posts? It’s akin to an obese person giving dietary advice. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:43 AM, Wundrbread33 said:

See @Growl. I tried to tell you it wasn’t like Clausen/Cam.

Team website says he requested the change just prior to the draft.

Current Panthers quarterback Matt Corral will move from No. 9 to No. 2, a jersey number he requested prior to this year's draft”

As I predicted, when the writing was on the wall it was best for him to just get out of the way of the whole situation. Even if Young had planned to offer a whole bunch of money for it it wouldn’t have been a good look.

• Poo 1

16 minutes ago, Growl said:

Current Panthers quarterback Matt Corral will move from No. 9 to No. 2, a jersey number he requested prior to this year's draft”

As I predicted, when the writing was on the wall it was best for him to just get out of the way of the whole situation. Even if Young had planned to offer a whole bunch of money for it it wouldn’t have been a good look.

Would be cool of Bryce to offer to pay for whatever Corral would have needed to pay to switch numbers, as I'm sure there was some Corral jerseys in stock that he had to buy back.

Bryce probably already has made more money through his endorsements than Corral's entire rookie contract was worth, he's already signed deals with multiple big name brands, and that's before his rookie contract which in itself would be substantial.  

I know these guys aren't just throwing away money for no reason, but I think it would be a nice touch by Bryce and help him earn some immediate respect/leadership points in the locker room.  I doubt it was like with CMC where he'd have needed to spend millions to buy back the jerseys, probably a minimal amount that Bryce could easily afford right now and not even notice.

Edited by tukafan21

29 minutes ago, Growl said:

Come on dude lol. This place is something else. 

46 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Come on dude lol. This place is something else. 

by all appearances it literally took him a month to make the jersey change, CJ stroud rumors flying hot and heavy. I have yet to see anything to suggest the request was immediate. 

if you’ve got a tidbit suggesting such I’ll gladly read it but until then the delay speaks volumes