• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Make Laviska Our Cordarelle Patterson?

tukafan21

regardless, I have a profound and dramatic statement to make that many of you--nay, most of you, will initially rebuff.   However, I implore you to refrain from all rebuffals until you have given this some thought--and it is based on potential, using players properly, and having a QB who can get the ball to the proper destination on time.

Shark is here based on his injury history.  If he can stay healthy--and some people are injury prone and some just have a run of bad luck--we have very good WR.

Thielen at his age can still be productive.  Cotchery and Prohel found a niche, and they prolonged many drives with key catches.  I am looking forward to 2 seasons or so with him.

TMJ, as I pointed out in another thread, showed signs last season, especially at the end when things became more stable with Darnold and Wilks.  His second year performance was better that Moose Muhammad's second year, and in the last five games, TMJ caught 77% of the balls targeted to him--that is a good sign.  I expect him to step up in year 3.

Shenault was a stud at Colorado and was, in my opinion, horribly misused last season.  He had 2 600+ yard seasons at Jacksonville.  Last year here in Charlotte, he caught 84.4% of passes thrown to him (27 of 32).  His rookie season he caught 73.4% of his targets and his second season he caught 63%--all respectable.  He is nearly 230 lbs.  and ran a 4.58 at the combine. Is he unable to get open?  Who cares--throw him the ball--he catches somewhere between 63% and 84.4% of his targets. I expect him to improve in year 4--he is only 24, by the way.

Mingo is another big-bodied WR who should expect to develop under Young and Reich.

Stopping right there--and you have to think potential---when is the last time we have had 5 WRs with this much capability?  Even after losing Moore, would you rather have last year's WR group over this?  Not me. I think this group, if they are used properly, could be the best WR room we have had in Carolina--from top to bottom.  Many will think of Moose in his prime, Smitty in his prime---but they each peaked at different times.  We have a situation where TMJ is showing breakout promise, Shenault will be used properly, Chark could be really good and healthy, and a veteran former pro bowler with a bit left in the tank to offer.  Then there is Mingo---potentially our #5 WR in 2023.  Crazy, I say!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

We still lack vertical speed on the outside.  We are a Chark injury (which happens every year) away from not having that role filled. 

We seem to have an abundance of competition at the slot and for possession roles with the top end of the depth chart. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The physics of ball flight change from college to the NFL? We're talking about tracking the ball here.

I cant comment on tracking the ball.  I havent really seen those issues.  The issues I saw when Jax actually had to play him as a regular wr are the ones I stated.

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Might wanna go back and watch his college games.

Damn, was still editing, but you get the point. Shenault is an incomplete receiver, still, who came into the league with some issues. You can suggest that he doesn't, but that's really the reason why he's here as opposed to Jacksonville.

Why do you think we play him as a gimmick player? Why do you think almost all his receptions are close to the LOS?

This is a fair assessment of Shenault for anyone that's honest. 

"Lacks the wiggle and quickness to shake cornerbacks. Separation will be a struggle for him. Doesn’t track the ball well downfield. Will lose track of his feet and allow too many passes that reach his hands to end up on the ground"

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/48103/

"Shenault does have two points where he struggles when it comes to catching the ball. First, he seems to have difficulty tracking balls over his shoulder, particularly on longer routes. He also seems to struggle maintaining his focus while jostling with defenders and won’t get his hands up in time to catch the ball, which was also particularly prevalent on longer routes (sense a theme?)."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.acmepackingcompany.com/platform/amp/nfl-draft-2020-packers/2020/1/24/21079655/2020-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-laviska-shenault-jr-wr-colorado

"Saw him sit down in a zone quite a few times against Oregon, though he’s not often used in that role (had him run a lot of deep routes). Really wish you’d see him snap to a ball rather than fade to it, as he essentially gives away where the ball is going rather than adjusting at the last possible moment. He also had some severe ball-tracking issues. His quarterback wasn’t great, so we saw this more than you’d hope. He has strong hands, but I don’t think he’s aggressive enough when the ball is hanging-up in the air."

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/03/laviska-shenault-isnt-a-lock-to-produce-immediately-2020-nfl-draft/

Edited by top dawg
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

That experiment was already done.  You put him on the outside to play WR and he doesn't get open.  That's why we was available to us.  Because you essentially have to scheme him up with small ball.  Now, would he fit in our offense? Probably so.  That's what we want to do for Young.  But I don't see how the math works well for him.   Because that is all he really is. 

We are keeping Mingo, Theilen, and TMJ.   That's 3 non-vertical threats.   We got Chark who is injury prone.  So it almost guarantees we keep Byrd or Shi or go after someone else that can get vertical for when/if Chark goes out. 

I wouldn't classify Mingo as a "non-vertical" type of receiver. He has that in his arsenal. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

2022 Shenault.

Total yards ball traveled before being caught:  negative 58 yards. 

Yep. I was wondering why---well, highly frustrated really---they won't open up the playbook for him, and that's when I came across the ball tracking issues. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

I wouldn't classify Mingo as a "non-vertical" type of receiver. He has that in his arsenal. 

I wouldn’t call him a NFL caliber deep threat.  Wouldn’t have called DJ Moore that either.  

Funny I’ve seen draft comparisons of Mingo to Shenault. I wouldn’t be surprised if Shenault gets cut if we have a younger version of him. Last year I thought he would have made a good 3rd down RB who can catch the ball or used for short yardage. Why not? At least see how he does in practice and preseason.

Shenault is a UFA after this year. I expect he will have a productive season and perhaps we will bring him back on a lower level deal but IMO odds point to Mingo eventually getting significant playing time as this season goes on and taking the role from there.

13 minutes ago, frankw said:

Shenault is a UFA after this year. I expect he will have a productive season and perhaps we will bring him back on a lower level deal but IMO odds point to Mingo eventually getting significant playing time as this season goes on and taking the role from there.

I think it will all come down to coaching and Mingo's ability to learn and make the transition. I'm thinking that they're thinking that it would be great if Mingo follows the footsteps of his predecessors from Ole Miss. I think that's the highest expectation. I think that if things go right, at worst he'll become a solid option in the same vein as Anquan Boldin.

• Beer 1

I've made this point before in favor of Shenault at RB. Below is the ranking of "yards after catch per reception" leaders in 2022. You'll notice most of the top 20 are RBs, and the first true WR (Deebo plays everywhere) was Rondale Moore at #24.

Shenault had 12.2 YAC/R last year which would put him first above all the elite RBs you see listed. I'm not sure why he isn't listed as he had 27 receptions last year, and Henry (33) and Etienne (35) only had a few more.

At a minimum, I believe this suggests Shenault could be a proficient 3rd down back.

image.thumb.png.e9945496730c9c2662ea2a3b1e2c069d.png

Edited by ECHornet