• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers signing Yannick Ngakoue?

55 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

First off, I'm definitely not opposed to the Panthers adding an EDGE player- I hope they do.

However, at this point, I doubt it happens until closer to the season and maybe even after the season starts.  You know what you have with these veteran guys.

I think the team is going to give a lot of snaps to the younger guys in camp to determine where the gaps still are before signing someone.

I think there are probably people within the organization that believe Haynes and/or YGM can be a starter and they want to vet that out first.

If these FA's were flawless, they would already be signed.

Yannick Ngakoue- Proven pass rusher capable of getting double digit sacks, generally been liability against the run.  History with Reich.

Jadaveon Clowney- Probably the best against the run, inconsistent as a pass rusher and locker room concerns.

Leonard Floyd- To me, probably the best of both worlds (rush + playing the run) we could sign.  Potential issue is that he is going to want $10M+ per season (all of them would).  Is Floyd better than Haynes with more snaps?  Extrapolating the discrepancy in snap counts, Haynes had comparable stats at $1.4M.

So, in summation, I do hope we sign someone (I'm leaning Floyd), but I do think the team is considering the above points and that's why we haven't signed anyone yet.

Two years ago, our D was 2nd in yards.  Last year we were 22nd.  Part of that was the loss of Reddick, part of it was field position, part  was the change from Snow to Holcomb.  Our stats really should have been worse,  the Bengals essentially sat their starters the 2nd half.  Wilks fired Cooper, corner-backs coach, who Wilks placed in that position when he was promoted,  and defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni after the Bengals game.  Holcomb's D was pretty bad in Arizona and he is now a defensive assistant in Buffalo.

We haven't spent a ton in FA on D and waited until the 3rd and 5th round for defense.  We've added a successful DC, and are switching base configuration.

Our D is as much a question mark as the O for next year.  A lot of moving parts need to come together.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

what does that have to do with YGM

He is probably a 4-3 DE who may not be suited for the 3-4 Strong OLB role--we shall see.  The need for another speed rusher could be due to a lack of understanding--the team can have 2 speed edge rushers in the game at the same time vs spread offenses, but the real need on this team is the OLB on the strong side--where the OLB is to play 2 gap to hold the edge first. To me, that is where we are questionable. Barno, Haynes, and Burns have the productivity to justify not adding another speed rusher (Weakside OLBs).  However, YGM and DJ and maybe Leota (UDFA) are all we have on the strong side.  If they do not see YGM as a fit, they could trade him--if they could get something for him.  If they could not, how is a new approach to the position going to be worth a roster spot.  Its complicated.

22 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

A roster spot and maybe a conditional draft pick.  I still think they want to see him there first.

Yeah, I would too rather than just tossing him away for a late rounder. You gotta have just completely given up on a guy to do that.

• Pie 1

Have not given up on Yetur yet. I doubt the coaches have either since they have not got to see him first hand. I have some faith Envero willbe able to put him in the right places to produce.  He actually had a decent season last year or at least his most productive so far. Nice fumble recoveries and tackles.  

I could possibly see him being a Micheal Bennett in this defense. This defense will be Envero's baby. He has many tools to utilize. Chinn, Horn, Burns, Brown and possibly YGM.  It could be the second coming of the LOB. 

44 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

Have not given up on Yetur yet. I doubt the coaches have either since they have not got to see him first hand. I have some faith Envero willbe able to put him in the right places to produce.  He actually had a decent season last year or at least his most productive so far. Nice fumble recoveries and tackles.  

I could possibly see him being a Micheal Bennett in this defense. This defense will be Envero's baby. He has many tools to utilize. Chinn, Horn, Burns, Brown and possibly YGM.  It could be the second coming of the LOB. 

They could have him on the edge during running downs and move him inside to DE for passing situations--again, it is funny that we have no idea what he can do yet.  We can't trust the previous coaching staff enough to evaluate talent approaching their second contract negotiations--how does that happen?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

They could have him on the edge during running downs and move him inside to DE for passing situations--again, it is funny that we have no idea what he can do yet.  We can't trust the previous coaching staff enough to evaluate talent approaching their second contract negotiations--how does that happen?

Hence the comparison to Bennett.  My hope is YGM can fill that role or another. He is only 25 and has untapped potential because of the era of retardation.  That Chinn and Burns developed under those circumstances is amazing. I also hope Tremble and TMJ can finally reach their potential with better coaching. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mickeye76 said:

Hence the comparison to Bennett.  My hope is YGM can fill that role or another. He is only 25 and has untapped potential because of the era of retardation.  That Chinn and Burns developed under those circumstances is amazing. I also hope Tremble and TMJ can finally reach their potential with better coaching. 

That brings up a rather unrelated point that probably needs its own thread:

Players that were misused under Rhule:

1. Bozeman--should have been starting.

2. Shenault--had 2 600 yard seasons before coming to Carolina.  Instead of getting better, he regressed because he was not used as a legit WR.

3. YGM--what was his role and how well was he coached?

4.  Marshall---showed promise after Wilks took over and they kicked Robby Chosen Robbie Coolio to the curb.

5.  Christensen---is he best at G?  Should he be a swing OT? 

6. Chinn.  Oh my, where to begin.

7. All CBs.  You can't have zone CBs playing press man as much as we did that.

8. Ricci--used as a FB/TE--except when Mays came in to play FB or when Tremble or Thomas were in at TE---he is a pass-catching TE who can play in the slot.

9. QBs--Carolina was always the place QBs came to end their careers.  Watch Darnold play well in SF--watch Mayfield continue to improve in tampa (after being in LA)>

That is how I see it.

• Pie 3

• 4 weeks later...

The Bills just signed Floyd to a 1 year deal. If we are going to sign Yannick, I think this would probably  be the time it heats up.  Prove it deal time for the remaining  edge rushers. Going back down the Reddick scenario. 

Edited by Lurk21
  • Pie 3

23 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

The Bills just signed Floyd to a 1 year deal. If we are going to sign Yannick, I think this would probably  be the time it heats up.  Prove it deal time for the remaining  edge rushers. Going back down the Reddick scenario. 

Also have Ed Oliver a four year extension.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

Damn....Floyd was the one I hoped we'd sign.

Yannick makes sense from a history with Reich and Wash, but doesn't seem like the type of EDGE we're looking to sign. Replicates what Burns does quite a bit. 

I think if we haven't made a signing yet among the available group we probably will stand pat until camp cuts roll around. Maybe not even then. Depends on TC.