• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On My Radar: TMJ & Tommy Tremble

Bear Hands

I feel a lot better about TMJ than Tremble. I think Tremble may be better suited to play fullback. Whether that's even a position we'll use much in this new offense I don't know.

One thing's for sure; Tremble isn't likely to develop much more with Hayden Hurst in place as TE #1.

• Pie 2

Tremble is just a baby, but he has dual threat (blocking/receiving) skills.  His route running has been the focus of his development--but again, he is 22.

And you are right about Marshall--when Robby/ie/Chosen left, and Wilks took over in a ground-control attack, he seemed to do better.  You need the reps, folks, or you are awkward, overly-eager, out of rhythm, etc.  Rhule coached like he was playing Madden.

I think I would add Shenault to this list.  In three years, he has nearly 1500 yards receiving--only 272 in Carolina.  He was the bubble screen guy.  He is much more than that, and we will see it in 2023.

I have been in agreement with Bear Hands all off season.  We have players who underperformed here.  When you start getting rid of players for not instantly performing, the problem is not always the player.  We now have coaches.  We had a good draft and excellent free agency, but when you see these third and fourth year players step up, it is going to be like we have an entirely new team--an improved team.

• Pie 6

TMJ I think is a legit breakout candidate this year. You look at his production once Rhule was fired and he actually saw the field - and especially given the poor QB play - and I think he's going to give us high-end #2 production if not low-end #1 production this year.

With Bryce Young at QB and Reich/Thomas Brown running the offense I think we're in much better shape at WR than a lot of people think. It would not surprise me a bit to see TMJ + Mingo + Thielen emerge as a very viable starting WR trio by the end of the season. And that's not even factoring in Chark, Shenault, Byrd, etc.

If we can utilize Miles Sanders' skills as a receiver out of the backfield better than the Eagles did the last few years that will add a whole different dimension to our offense as well. Maybe not quite CMC-level, but Sanders does have the ability to come pretty close as a receiver.

Why the Eagles didn't take advantage of it more after his rookie season I'll never know.

Edited by Jay Roosevelt
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

TMJ I think is a legit breakout candidate this year. You look at his production once Rhule was fired and he actually saw the field - and especially given the poor QB play - and I think he's going to give us high-end #2 production if not low-end #1 production this year.

With Bryce Young at QB and Reich/Thomas Brown running the offense I think we're in much better shape at WR than a lot of people think. It would not surprise me a bit to see TMJ + Mingo + Thielen emerge as a very viable starting WR trio by the end of the season.

If we can utilize Miles Sanders' skills as a receiver out of the backfield better than the Eagles did the last few years that will add a whole different dimension to our offense as well. Maybe not quite CMC-level, but Sanders does have the ability to come pretty close as a receiver.

Why the Eagles didn't take advantage of it more after his rookie season I'll never know.

May not be one of Hurts' stronger points?  I mean, we had certain things that we didn't do very often with Cam.  Who knows, or maybe it's just the offense?

Either way, I think that the offense in general should take a pretty big leap this season, at worst, it should look like a normal offense that knows what they are doing.

I expect to see very good game plans this season.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

I'm really not.  I'm also not saying he's going to have some superstar year either.  There's simply some nice reasons to be optimistic about him.  He's still going to have a high percentage plays with blocking assignments.  I'm also specifically explaining how he's more of a blocking TE role that has the capacity to become a strong receiving threat.  Never once extrapolated for a full season or said TE1s don't block. 

I'm simply stretching out his two seasons in context for modest hype, not saying he's coming up on some 800/7TD year.    

You said exactly that. You are implying that in half a season he had 39-354 and 5TDs. Sorry, but you are absolutely implying that if he had a full season he could be at 80-700-10TDs. I don’t see how you can’t read into the statement below as anything but that.

16 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

So! in that roughly half-season's worth of snaps, he has 39 rec, 354 yards and 5 total TDs

Also, Thomas has been called the blocking TE. Fitterer said that when they extended him that they wanted to keep him because of his blocking.

Personally, I see so many topics on TMJ and now a couple of Tremble and I don’t share the enthusiasm as they’ve both seemingly been knocked further down the depth chart and haven’t produced enough yet.

27 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

You said exactly that. You are implying that in half a season he had 39-354 and 5TDs. Sorry, but you are absolutely implying that if he had a full season he could be at 80-700-10TDs. I don’t see how you can’t read into the statement below as anything but that.

Also, Thomas has been called the blocking TE. Fitterer said that when they extended him that they wanted to keep him because of his blocking.

Personally, I see so many topics on TMJ and now a couple of Tremble and I don’t share the enthusiasm as they’ve both seemingly been knocked further down the depth chart and haven’t produced enough yet.

Well, agree to disagree.  I know what I'm trying to say but to each their own if your don't share optimism about either.  All good.  

He will remain at most TE2.  And in that capacity, likely top out at a Trey Burton type level.  But I think he can elevate a bit more past a Burton type.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Beer 1

I feel the same way as OP and am glad someone is saying it. I think we need to keep an open mind on our evaluations of players and see who rises to the occasion this year. We have what on paper seems to be a far better coaching staff, with new schemes, and on the offensive side, hopefully an infinitely more promising QB. 

Unfortunately the reality is that TMJ and Tremble both breaking out seems unlikely; there are just too many mouths to feed. But I do think they both have the potential and at worst, I'd love to see them continue to show growth. In some ways, this team's weapons have the potential to resemble our 2015 juggernaut team: no #1 option but collectively keeps defenses on their toes.

• Pie 2

44 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Well, agree to disagree.  I know what I'm trying to say but to each their own if your don't share optimism about either.  All good.  

He will remain at most TE2.  And in that capacity, likely top out at a Trey Burton type level.  But I think he can elevate a bit more past a Burton type.  

I’m also not negative on the season but I’m more optimistic about the new guys than a couple guys that people want to break out, but seemingly are buried a bit more. Last year there was no one in front of them if they succeeded aside from DJ. Now there’s a lot. 

46 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I feel the same way as OP and am glad someone is saying it. I think we need to keep an open mind on our evaluations of players and see who rises to the occasion this year. We have what on paper seems to be a far better coaching staff, with new schemes, and on the offensive side, hopefully an infinitely more promising QB. 

Unfortunately the reality is that TMJ and Tremble both breaking out seems unlikely; there are just too many mouths to feed. But I do think they both have the potential and at worst, I'd love to see them continue to show growth. In some ways, this team's weapons have the potential to resemble our 2015 juggernaut team: no #1 option but collectively keeps defenses on their toes.

I’m somewhat going out on a limb but I just think Tremble has made an impact nearly every time we ask him to grab the ball.  Even if he’s not TE1 in a big capacity for the offense, I think he’s a perfect guy to have here and could very well grow into an all-around type. Especially being a TE, they notoriously take time to develop. He’s basically a rookie with experience. A mid-3rd rounder at that.

He’s a guy I’m willing to back even though it seems many are lukewarm on him. He had a fantastic route and TD against TB near the close of the year. He just seems to make stuff happen.

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I think the heavy focus is on TMJ and I do think he will emerge as our future WR2. Tremble, as OP posted has potential to thrive. 

Having an OC like Brown that has former experience with TEs is huge. Tremble's youth and known that he was a project when drafted gives me hope. I also think this is why we held off on drafting one in such a loaded class. 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I feel a lot better about TMJ than Tremble. I think Tremble may be better suited to play fullback. Whether that's even a position we'll use much in this new offense I don't know.

One thing's for sure; Tremble isn't likely to develop much more with Hayden Hurst in place as TE #1.

I’m also much more excited about TMJ than Tremble. I think the staff will do everything they can to help them flourish.  Right now Tremble is in the Ian Thomas category of “about to break out any day now”. But problem is any day hasn’t come yet.  Hope he does tho as I had high hopes when he was drafted

6 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I think the heavy focus is on TMJ and I do think he will emerge as our future WR2. Tremble, as OP posted has potential to thrive. 

Having an OC like Brown that has former experience with TEs is huge. Tremble's youth and known that he was a project when drafted gives me hope. I also think this is why we held off on drafting one in such a loaded class. 

Future WR2? He was our WR2 in 2022. Only DJ had more snaps. After week 6, Robby was gone and in those 11 weeks, he had one game at 62% snap counts and 10 weeks of 85-93% snap counts. Again, this is why I think he may get buried barring injuries because after Robby left he was basically playing all game and got 24 receptions in 11 games. We’ve got way more mouths to feed in the passing game now even with DJ gone.

It's impossible to know the potential of any offensive players we've had for a long time after the crap we've had to deal with running out offnse and team. 

Think about his....we've never had a coaching staff that was predominantly offensive focused.

There's a good chance these guys haven't come anywhere near their potential, but with this coaching staff we might ee some studs in the making.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

With Bryce Young at QB and Reich/Thomas Brown running the offense I think we're in much better shape at WR than a lot of people think. It would not surprise me a bit to see TMJ + Mingo + Thielen emerge as a very viable starting WR trio by the end of the season. And that's not even factoring in Chark, Shenault, Byrd, etc.

I agree completely. I think our WR room is more stacked than people think. It’s also not necessarily about having studs everywhere. It’s about being able to call the play you want at any given time and knowing you can win the matchups. Which, dare I say is possible with these players.

Edited by OneBadCat
  • Pie 1