• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce so far ahead that they feel they can expand their offensive playbook

ncfan

This time of year the club loves to pump up the gullible fan base with fictitious hyperbole in preparation for the start of the season.  It happens every year.  They get us all worked up and excited that either "this is our year" or "this is our guy".

Think it's best just to sit and wait until about week 8 (heck maybe into year 2) before we think we know anything.  Just being realistic after years of being let down.

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The only seasoned vet we have in the WR corps is Thielen.

Why not DJ Chark? This is his 6th year in the league. You’d have to consider him a seasoned vet… considering majority of the players in the nfl don’t make it past year 4 in the league.

• Pie 1

Sheesh, some people in here come across as really miserable when it comes to dunking on people for being excited about positive news regarding Bryce lol. 

Like yeah sure, does he still have to prove himself in pads/games? Absolutely. In the same vein though, I’d much rather get reports about my rookie QB excelling at the mental aspect of the game (which is typically the hardest thing to adapt to) then to hear about him struggling in mini-camp/OTA’s. 

It’s fair to temper expectations, but my God, we haven’t had a reason for hope around here in like 5 years. Let people enjoy themselves. 

• Pie 4

16 hours ago, jb2288 said:

counterpoint, the QB has way more on their plate they are usually the bottleneck. QB has to know every route, protection, and read the defense. and that's just for passing downs. 

Mingo for example SHOULD be able to pick up the playbook much faster than a rookie QB should be able to. 

Correct.

Understanding that the progressions for a certain route tree might change against Cover 2 is a lot different from "on this play, run here."

(that's over simplified of course, but the point is valid)

16 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Also no pads and he's throwing to Thielen/Chark etc against STO and Keith Taylor. I'm not gonna buy into the fluff too much until Jets practice where he's going against Sauce and the rest of that D

They're talking about his understanding of the concepts, though. Pads or no pads doesn't necessarily affect that.

16 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

There's been no thick with the Hornets. It's been horrible for decades. The most excitement we ever had was with LJ, Muggsy, Zo and Dell. 

I enjoyed those Davis, Wesley, Mashburn, and Elden Campbell Hornets. We were one game away from making the ECF. But I get your point, even that was back in like 2001.

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

A real fan bitches and moans about everything the team does. He forgets he complained about what worked but reminds everyone about him predicting what would go wrong. Those guys toil and suffer in misery every day “for the team”.  They are the real fans and are to be revered by us mere mortals.  

Pretty much 😕

Being optimistic and being realistic aren't mutually exclusive. I recognize he's still a rookie and he'll certainly have growing pains.

That doesn't mean I can't be happy about what we know to be his positive traits, though.

• Pie 3

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The QB is the only guy who truly has to understand the full playbook. Everyone else just needs to understand their role in the play. Honorable mention to the center who has to understand the protections.

Correct, though I'd add the extra part for us is we have smart players like Theilen, Sanders and others who can also understand coverages, adjustments and such from their standpoint.

Couple that with coaches who have a clue what they're doing and we've got the possibility of watching an honest to goodness modern NFL offense in Carolina for the first time in forever.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, panfanman said:

This time of year the club loves to pump up the gullible fan base with fictitious hyperbole in preparation for the start of the season.  It happens every year.  They get us all worked up and excited that either "this is our year" or "this is our guy".

Think it's best just to sit and wait until about week 8 (heck maybe into year 2) before we think we know anything.  Just being realistic after years of being let down.

I get the mindset, but this isn't the same "club" as year's past.

Did anyone else ever play Atari 2600 football and beat their dad 99-0. That's Bryce Young against the NFL. Just saying. Please at least let my drunk ass self get to my seat for Monday night football without being thrown out first. Wait am I thinking out loud?

Edited by SmittysLawnGuy
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2