• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What a difference a year makes

NAS

Weird thing is I can't remember how people responded to the trade at the time. Was it mostly positive,  negative, or mixed.  

I think one thing is for sure,  no one expected him to be as bad as he was for us.

I'm just glad all this QB cycling is over. All of these dudes post cam set such a low bar Bryce could be dead average and we could make a playoff run. And he's probably going to be a lot better than that.

Heck we could've went to playoffs last year arguably, if our starting CBs were healthy.

Edited by Hoenheim

44 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Weird thing is I can't remember how people responded to the trade at the time. Was it mostly positive,  negative, or mixed.  

I think one thing is for sure,  no one expected him to be as bad as he was for us.

I'm just glad all this QB cycling is over. All of these dudes post cam set such a low bar Bryce could be dead average and we could make a playoff run. And he's probably going to be a lot better than that.

Heck we could've went to playoffs last year arguably, if our starting CBs were healthy.

I looked back, it was mostly mixed, just hopeful that he may somehow redeem himself. Nobody expected him to be as bad as he was, worse than even Darnold.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

I mean it really wasn’t a bad trade we gave up what a 5th or 6th rounder? And the Browns picked up a bunch of his contract. Now in hindsight, yes trading  literally anything for the level of play we got was not worth it, but at the time I don’t think it was a terrible gamble. But also Matt Rhule was coach so there’s that.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

It was generally very positive. We got him for cheap and it was certainly worth giving it a try. Rhule's entire tenure here was fuged but by the end it made no sense to tank for him. 

I was much happier after the Baker trade than the Sam Darnold one just on compensation alone 

There where 2 positives of Bakers tenure here. Number 1 is that his maturity level seemed to really improve here despite his terrible play and negative media attention he received because of it. Number 2 is that he helped get Matt Rhule fired. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

I mean it really wasn’t a bad trade we gave up what a 5th or 6th rounder? And the Browns picked up a bunch of his contract. Now in hindsight, yes trading  literally anything for the level of play we got was not worth it, but at the time I don’t think it was a terrible gamble. But also Matt Rhule was coach so there’s that.

It was a bad trade just like Sam was and just like how Teddy was a waste of money. That’s what I remember posting with other folks who didn’t like the trade. It was obvious that Teddy, Sam and Baker (and even PJ who some in here wanted to give a real chance to) would never lead us to a SB win. I wanted to tank for Trevor and have wanted a stud rookie QB with true potential since day 1 after Cam. It’s a shame that it took 3 years to finally go that direction but I’m happy with Young. Just sucks that we wasted so much cap and draft picks the past few years that we could have use to make the team around him better.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

There where 2 positives of Bakers tenure here. Number 1 is that his maturity level seemed to really improve here despite his terrible play and negative media attention he received because of it. Number 2 is that he helped get Matt Rhule fired. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else. 

Would have been a decent choice to ride Baker and Rhule for the entire season. More than bad enough to make getting Young way cheaper. I think those two could have kept us to 3-4 wins to get us pick 1 or 3.

21 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It was a bad trade just like Sam was and just like how Teddy was a waste of money. That’s what I remember posting with other folks who didn’t like the trade. It was obvious that Teddy, Sam and Baker (and even PJ who some in here wanted to give a real chance to) would never lead us to a SB win. I wanted to tank for Trevor and have wanted a stud rookie QB with true potential since day 1 after Cam. It’s a shame that it took 3 years to finally go that direction but I’m happy with Young. Just sucks that we wasted so much cap and draft picks the past few years that we could have use to make the team around him better.

If all this pain results us to Bryce leading this team to a SB, it will have been worth it

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

For me it was like when we drafted Clausen. Wasn't a fan of the idea, but when it happened I forced myself to be positive about it.

My worst fears were realized with those two.

This with Young is a lot like I felt with Cam. I love it and I feel legit great about it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I am thankful for Baker because he helped get that narcissistic short order cook idiot clown Rhule fired and on his way to the corn fields of Nebraska while blaming his screw ups on the Panthers organization. The only thing I blame on the organization is not realizing sooner as most on here did of how stupid and worthless of an NFL coach ole' Matt truly was.

• Beer 3

This board has always had its share of optimism in offseasons, especially after FA signings.  Part of it was underestimating how far away the roster was, especially when coaching limitations were factored in.  In fairness, the team was guilty of the same under Hurney.

That said, I don't remember wild optimism last year.  I think we had a handful of people predicting double-digit wins based on The Process history of breaking out in his third year, but the problem with that reasoning was the second year results were a setback, not a move forward.  I remember the majority of people here thinking either the third year was going to be what the second year should have been, at best, and more likely the third year was a re-enactment of "Dead Man Walking."

I really didn't have any heartburn with them acquiring Mayfield, because his cost in terms of the salary we paid and the trade was the least of the QB carousel that was part of The Process.  At that point it was obvious we were throwing the dung against the wall to see if any of it would stick.  He was worth a shot because nothing better was coming our way.

Now this year we have what I think is an improved roster and a coaching staff that we expect to have fewer limitations.  Last year we were a .500 team after moving from a coach that was an EF5 on the Enhanced Fujita Scale to one that had the same limitations as the guy who preceded the EF5, with the added disadvantage of having a roster the EF5 helped finely craft.  I'm not saying Wilks was the answer, but his success does show that perhaps the Enhanced Futjita Scale doesn't have enough levels of damage.

• Beer 2